Sign in to follow this  
threexgreen

Decent ATC addon?

If you let pro atc x assign you a star will it tell you when to descend at a reasonable time or at all? Last flight I had I hit TOD in airbus and ATC didn't say anything other than to fly the star. I started my descent because I was still in cruise and ATC kept trying to get me to return to cruise alt. Was annoying because there was no way to go back to cruise alt then make the descent. 

If you let pro atc x assign you a star will it tell you when to descend at a reasonable time or at all? Last flight I had I hit TOD in airbus and ATC didn't say anything other than to fly the star. I started my descent because I was still in cruise and ATC kept trying to get me to return to cruise alt. Was annoying because there was no way to go back to cruise alt then make the descent.

What ATC was that? ProATC tells you when to descent, yes, usually before the calculated TOD in the Airbus so yes, at a reasonable time. And it will tell you which altitudes to fly to all through the descent/STAR. And speeds too, if needed.

I've been using Pro ATC X for over a year, after a lot of research it was the best for IFR.  Glad I chose it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

What ATC was that? ProATC tells you when to descent, yes, usually before the calculated TOD in the Airbus so yes, at a reasonable time. And it will tell you which altitudes to fly to all through the descent/STAR. And speeds too, if needed.

I don't know why but ProATC x didn't tell me to descend my last flight. It was just saying fly the star. Maybe I didn't input something correctly with the flight plan. I'll run another flight tonight to see. I do my flight planning with pfpx if that makes a difference. 

Does Pro ATC have a demo?

NAX669.png

Does Pro ATC have a demo?

No Mike.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

No Mike.

Needs one.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

No Mike.

Thank you. I'm one of those old retired guys that's on a fixed income. I'm not that brave.

NAX669.png

Thank you. I'm one of those old retired guys that's on a fixed income. I'm not that brave.

Next best thing is to watch some youtube videos with it included and get a sense. I'm still learning the ropes to see how good it will be for me, but so far its been the best one I have tried. 

• Upvote 1

If you let pro atc x assign you a star will it tell you when to descend at a reasonable time or at all?

It will tell you to descend (on average) about 10-15nm before the aircraft's TOD (you can however initialize the descent manually if you wish).

Just remember that if you haven't entered the expected STAR and approach into the aircraft, the aircraft's TOD might be 20-40nm "too soon".

Please check here: https://youtu.be/2GtYTNoHkt0?t=1h6m45s

When I enter the arrival and approach, on this flight, the aircraft's TOD moves forward about 24nm. (you can see the change at 1h8min mark on the primary navigation display).

At 1h14min45s (https://youtu.be/2GtYTNoHkt0?t=1h14m45s) you will hear ATC descend me automatically. At that point, I have yet to pass the aircraft's newly calculated TOD (I'm 13nm away from the TOD to be exact).

In the last month I have bought two ATC addons, PF3 and Pro/ATC-X. I wished I had bought the latter first. It would had save me some money.

I like the variety of voices in PF3 but I don't like telling the program all the altitude restrictions, missed approach altitudes and where the SID ends and where does the STAR starts for every flight. I feel I have to do to much.

On Pro/ATC-X I just input the route and it will assign you the departing runway and the SID. You can request a different RWY for takeoff with a different SID for that runway I believe. During flight I can check which STAR and arrival RWY to expect.

Also I picked the ATC chatter files from Ralph and it is pretty sweet experience.

• Upvote 2

I don't have any ATC addons but I was wondering about the FPS hit. Do they drag down performance especialy if used with a weather addon like ASN? The main thing keeping me from buying one is the time to set it up since it already takes so long to load every thing before a flight as it is.

Vic green

Does Pro/ATC-X have caption output so you can read what's being said?

It's a must feature for an old guy like me with limited hearing.

--- Jim  ---

Does Pro/ATC-X have caption output so you can read what's being said?

It's a must feature for an old guy like me with limited hearing.

Yes for most instructions although on my last flight it would give a speed but no text. For the most part all communications flash on the screen and there is a say again button. In terms of the initial clearence etc there is an option to show all of it in the menu in case you don't get it the first time around. 

I recently settled for Pilot2ATC after using Radar Contact for years.

Joel Pacheco

X-plane 11.5, i7 4790k OC 4.8GHz (1.330V) - Nvidia GTX 1080ti - Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 - Corsair Hydro Series H115i - Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 - Samsung 860 EVO SSD 500Gb  - Windows 10 Pro - HP Reverb G2