Sign in to follow this  
threexgreen

Decent ATC addon?

Was quite a surprise to me that my thread exploded into life like this.

Anyway, apart from the vast amount of information already provided there are some things left I'd like to make sure I've understood correctly before spending the money.

1. ProATC does communicate with AI traffic (specifically WoAI) right?

2. Can you remove the green text bars so the instructions are only audible?

3. Can you disable the co-pilot?

4. Can you download additional accents to implement American/Canadian ATC chatter as well as pilot/contoller voices?

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Was quite a surprise to me that my thread exploded into life like this.

Anyway, apart from the vast amount of information already provided there are some things left I'd like to make sure I've understood correctly before spending the money.

1. ProATC does communicate with AI traffic (specifically WoAI) right?

2. Can you remove the green text bars so the instructions are only audible?

3. Can you disable the co-pilot?

4. Can you download additional accents to implement American/Canadian ATC chatter as well as pilot/contoller voices?

1. Yes and no. The current version does let you hear ATC's contact with AI, so a yes there, but it doesn't take care of the AI in any way, so a no here. So you can end up with AI on the runway while you are landing etc. but for those kind of problems there are addons to solve that. This feature (where ProATC actually takes care of AI traffic) has been on the wish list for quite some time, I think, but no one knows yet when and if this will be implemented.

2. Yes.

3. Yes. Luckily.

4. Yes. I know of one site that offers around 8 additional voices (more coming soon, I think) and I heard about a site that offers chatter: don't have any experience with the latter.

Since PROATC has it's own copilot I assume it would negate any further need to use my FS2CREW addons with my PMDG jets? Also, do ATC addons  put an addional drag on performance?

From what I read PROATC would be the one for me to purchase.

No performance hit that I have ever noticed. But as Bob said you can't compare the ProATC copilot option with FS2crew. Not at all. In ProATC the copilot can perform a few tasks but that's it: you won't hear him doing anything in any way. FS2Crew adds a whole dimension to the sim that ProATX doesn't add.

EDIT

In case someone likes to see it, here is a screenshot of a typical flight info screen during cruise. Just press 6 to see it and any number key to make it go. (You can resize and position the screen anywhere you like, of course.)

2isjijc.jpg

Use the FS2 Crew. No comparison between PATC and FS2 Crew co pilot. 

Thats great since I just bought the NGX voice pack for FS2CREW. One question, if I use the FS2CREW copilot, can PROATCX still be set up to handle communications? 

Vic green

Thats great since I just bought the NGX voice pack for FS2CREW. One question, if I use the FS2CREW copilot, can PROATCX still be set up to handle communications? 

Yes

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

So you can end up with AI on the runway while you are landing etc. but for those kind of problems there are addons to solve that.

It does tell AI it's cleared to land but if there's traffic on the runway it won't tell it to go around e.g.? And what addons would those be?

can PROATCX still be set up to handle communications?

You can still handle comms and radios on your own can't you?

5th one I forgot to add: Is there an option to control the amount of background chatter?

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

It does tell AI it's cleared to land but if there's traffic on the runway it won't tell it to go around e.g.? And what addons would those be?

You can still handle comms and radios on your own can't you?

5th one I forgot to add: Is there an option to control the amount of background chatter?

The best chatter to get for PATC is this one. It adds a great deal to the immersion and is only around $10. You can set how often the chatter begins, within a window in PATC. It works well. http://realatc.net/RealATCforPRO-ATCX.htm

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Thanks Bob. I also read something about chatter being allocated to the correct airports/centres as well as frequencies? As examples, being on the apron at Toronto you'll hear Toronto ground frequency chatter/Minneapolis centre chatter when tuned to Minneapolis frequencies?

As a previous owner of v1.7.2.0, honestly I was not very satisfied with the product nor was I very confident about the latest release. However, I must admit that with the new release they brought Pro-ATC/X to another level. If someone asks me today whether I would recommend it or not, my answer would be definitely Yes, though I understand that it is a hard investment. Also, it is unfortunate that thge do not offer a demo, as this would surely help many of those who are still sitting on the fence. It is not perfect and I guess no ATC addon will ever be, but it definitely turns the flight simulator experience into something much closer to the real thing.

The only thing I am really missing is some non-English chatter, especially when I fly in Southern Europe and South America. However, I am afraid there is no easy solution for that, as there is no LiveATC.net coverage in most EU countries due to national restrictions.

Since PROATC has it's own copilot I assume it would negate any further need to use my FS2CREW addons with my PMDG jets? Also, do ATC addons  put an addional drag on performance?

From what I read PROATC would be the one for me to purchase.

Yea fs2crew is better for that feature although for some planes like fslabs airbus the fs2crew isn't out yet and it can be a good fill in for planes like that. Also there are some PA announcements upon departing/arriving which are a nice touch. I consider that stuff just bonus stuff because I bought the software for ATC capability and that is all. 

non-English chatter

By that you mean chatter in other languages rather than chatter outside of England/GB I assume? :)

By that you mean chatter in other languages rather than chatter outside of England/GB I assume? :)

I used to hear non english chatter flying in Europe and I think that is from http://realatc.net/RealATCforPRO-ATCX.htm

How are the voices on the newer version of Pro ATC? All of the videos I have seen are broken stuttering English that sounds like a robot has pieced together various phrases and words.

Is it more natural sounding now? More like the default ATC sounds? 

More like the default ATC sounds?

In my book, there aren't any ATC programs better than the default ATC, sound wise I mean. Having said that, it's also very limited in functionality and therefore doesn't require a large vocabulary.

In my book, there arent any ATC programs better than the default ATC (sound wise). Having said that, it's also very limited in functionality and therefore doesn't require a large vocabulary.

All default ATC has is 3 voices, and you have to pick the one you want. The phrases are limited, the ATC is horrible. I can remember using it and flying from point A to point B, and receiving a 30 degree heading change first one direction and then the other, every few miles. Talk about an immersion killer. A Siri sounding voice doesn't make up for that craziness.