Sign in to follow this  
threexgreen

Decent ATC addon?

I have used Pilot2ATC, VoxATC, RC4, Default and now PF3.

Over the last week I have coupled PF3 with MCE and I really like it for both VFR and IFR in general aviation. Using it with Flyinside so I can't see the keyboard - everything is controlled by real world phrases.

Wouldn't go back now.

I've purchased the 30 day FMS data.

Wise. ;)

You can  get a package  deal if  you  purchase   Navigraph  charts subscription  for  a year  and  get  a  year of  fms  data  as well

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I have used Pilot2ATC, VoxATC, RC4, Default and now PF3.

Over the last week I have coupled PF3 with MCE and I really like it for both VFR and IFR in general aviation. Using it with Flyinside so I can't see the keyboard - everything is controlled by real world phrases.

Wouldn't go back now.

My experience with PF3 is the same. Once using it, I hate to use anything else, in fact I haven't used anything else. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Guys, I've watched a good amount of videos but still have some questions about ProATC/X.  I don't think any of the ATC apps are perfect...just good at parts of it right now.

• How accurate, in general, are ProATC/X instructions...compared to, perhaps, VATSIM or something. 
  • Are they reasonable in terms of SID/STARs/descents? 
  • How about handling of STARS where it starts out being vectors to join a STAR? 
  • Does it allow you to ask for a different runway for departure? 
  • Does it crash often?  If/when it does crash, does it kill P3D too?  Or can you just keep going and restart ProATC/X?
  • Can you set your parking destination on arrival and get taxi instructions?
  • Is maintenance painful in terms of updating AIRACs?
  • Are the keystroke commands easy?

Sure would have been nice to have a demo.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

How accurate, in general, are ProATC/X instructions...compared to, perhaps, VATSIM or something. 

Are they reasonable in terms of SID/STARs/descents? 

How about handling of STARS where it starts out being vectors to join a STAR? 

Does it allow you to ask for a different runway for departure? 

Does it crash often?  If/when it does crash, does it kill P3D too?  Or can you just keep going and restart ProATC/X?

Can you set your parking destination on arrival and get taxi instructions?

Is maintenance painful in terms of updating AIRACs?

Are the keystroke commands easy?

1.  Fairly.  Certainly some of the closet you can get offline.   I think VoxATC has the slight edge on this but overall it's pretty good.

2.  I did not file a SID with my flight plan today out of KRDU and it gave me LWOOD2 with the PSK transition which was the recommended SID for that departure when I called for clearance.    It automatically updated it's in-game moving map with the SID and I programmed it into my FMC like a real pilot would.    I think it will do STARS too if there is a valid one for your arrival.   IF you force the SID/STAR in your flight plan when creating it then it will make you fly it without assigning you another one, even if another SID/STAR would be more beneficial for you.

3.  Don't know about that feature.

4.  Never asked.  I 'THINK' it can as there are extensive Extra Options on the pop up menu.

5.  I have had it crash once in the year i have used it.   Very reliable.  If it crashes more frequently on your rig it does have a Process slider that you can drag to the left to give less processing time to the Pro/ATC-X and thus stabilize it.

6.  Yes.  You can set your starting gate and arrival gate in your flight plan.  If you do not it will attempt to assign you a gate based on your ATC code and then it will give you taxi instructions via taxiways.  It will ATTEMPT to keep AI traffic out of your face by making them hold in place if ProATC senses you are baring down on them and are going to converge.

7.  Very simply.  Use a tool such as FMS Manager from Navigraph to download the latest AIRAC into the detected Pro/ATC-X install location.   The next time you start ProATC it will tell you that you have a new set of AIRAC's to process, Would you Like to do that now?  Away you go.  Be sure you build your scenery database first then Align the AIRAC data to the scenery.

8.  Easy as 1-2-3-4-5... because that what it uses by default.  You press 1 to open up the general PRO/ATC response window to answer calls, request info, declare emergencies, etc etc.

It's a great program.   I would use it full time if it had PF3's ATIS voices and Pilot/Controller voices.   They are missing some airlines from their database that I can't believe are missing.   Like when I fly for Alaska Virtual, I can't use ProATC/X because there is no Alaska Airlines in their database... I have asked them to add this in future patches but they have not.  I suppose it would require them to bring in their voice actors to say Alaska Airlines since all the audio is hacked up .WAV files.   I also loooove PF3's taxi direction feature where your co-pilot will call out when to turn and on to what taxi way you are currently turning...        Like if I am going down Bravo and I need to turn left on to Charlie up ahead he will say,  "Steady on... take your next left on to Charlie."

I have confirmed something about ProATC/X.  It uses for more processing power than PF3 or VoxATC.   I typically lose about 4 FPS with ProATC running on the same PC as the SIM.   ProATC is networkable though if you want to go through that process to take the stress off your sim rig.

My experience with PF3 is the same. Once using it, I hate to use anything else, in fact I haven't used anything else. 

I am obviously sucking at doing flight plans right for PF3.  I have YET to have it not screw me over during an approach.  Everything else it seems to do pretty good on but that whole Waypoint To Close to airport thing is constantly screwing me up.   I know you can delete those waypoints or not include them at all to FORCE a STAR arrival but that is too much work.  Less time fiddling more time flying is what I want.   Also, when I arrived at my destination yesterday they told me to land 05R at KRDU.. however... AI traffic was landing on the opposite end.   @_@   I thought it was suppose to NOT do that?

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

A good report mostly. 

I suppose it would require them to bring in their voice actors to say Alaska Airlines since all the audio is hacked up .WAV files.

Yeah, I could hear that on some of the videos.

I have confirmed something about ProATC/X. It uses for more processing power than PF3 or VoxATC. I typically lose about 4 FPS with ProATC running on the same PC as the SIM. ProATC is networkable though if you want to go through that process to take the stress off your sim rig.

Woh.  That could be a show stopper.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Woh.  That could be a show stopper.

Just remember, this is MY rig with a ton of autogen running.   Your milage my vary.  That is the reason why they have the Performance slider in the program so you can slow it down if your rig can't keep up.

Also, I don't know about different takeoff runway request but I am going to assume so because I have the option to select a different landing runway when making my approach.  IF you can do it coming in surely you can do it going out.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Flight last night in IMC, ProATC cleared me on an approach vector which, had I ignored the NGX's GPWS warning, would have left me splattered across a mountain top for sure! It seems the ATC is not aware of high terrain and MDA's? This was approaching FAGG RWY19 flying a vectored approach to the ILS (no published STAR).

A question: I have turned off the voice option in the Sound menu to stop the P3D ATC duplicating ATC in the background as suggested. Does this affect the altitude callouts in the NGX on final approach at all? I did not seem to hear these call outs after doing this.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

They are missing some airlines from their database that I can't believe are missing. Like when I fly for Alaska Virtual, I can't use ProATC/X because there is no Alaska Airlines in their database... I have asked them to add this in future patches but they have not.

This is not true.

In the new version, you can add any airline to the database, real or fictional. I've even made instructions on the forums how to add Alaska Airlines to the database in the new version.

Also the 3rd party voice sets have voice version of Alaska. Just add the correct ICAO code and callsign to the database and you are good to go. No need to hack your own wav files.

I am obviously sucking at doing flight plans right for PF3.  I have YET to have it not screw me over during an approach.  Everything else it seems to do pretty good on but that whole Waypoint To Close to airport thing is constantly screwing me up.   I know you can delete those waypoints or not include them at all to FORCE a STAR arrival but that is too much work.  Less time fiddling more time flying is what I want.   Also, when I arrived at my destination yesterday they told me to land 05R at KRDU.. however... AI traffic was landing on the opposite end.   @_@   I thought it was suppose to NOT do that?

In real life "unfortunately" flight planning is part of the picture. That is always the fiddly part. But once fiddled it's done and your subsequent flights will be as smooth as.... depending on the weather! As in real life producing a good fpl is a bit of a black art too. Always, if you have a problem though report it on the PF3 forum with your log files zipped and you'll be set right. Responses are swift which is more than can be said about some other ATC programmes!

As for your last point, again on the PF3 forum that can be looked into to ensure it's not a bug which usually it is not. All ATC programmes have problems with crosswinds as does the AI and also some weather engines can create additional problems too. It's often a combination of effects as it were.

All ATC programmes have problems with crosswinds

Please explain.

Flight last night in IMC, ProATC cleared me on an approach vector which, had I ignored the NGX's GPWS warning, would have left me splattered across a mountain top for sure!

FSX/P3D does the same thing...at least it did it to me once.  Mountain flying is downright risky, especially at night or in bad weather with them.  I'd imagine that they really don't have good enough MDA logic to overcome it and that might be a lot of work.  I'm not faulting them for it.  For me, I'd probably avoid flying into a lot of mountainous airports unless they had a "no vector" option for those airports.  (The SIDs/STARs/Approaches and missed approaches have all been created by TERPs which means they all have obstacle clearance built in.)  Flying out of those airports is probably safer and for,  both departure and arrival, having the ability to ignore or "request" a different heading because you want your flight to FS-NotEndSuddenly (trademark :) ) would be a good idea.

• Upvote 1

Gregg Seipp

Please explain.

Because the direction and strength of the crosswind can change the AI runway operating direction.

This is not true.

Well technically, it's still true, as I had to add it to the database myself.   :Tounge:      But thanks for the heads up on that!   I added it.   Will test it out today.  I have a ton of voice sets loaded for both pilots and ATC controllers so hopefully someone gets it right in the speech.

• Upvote 1

100454.png

Brian Navy