Sign in to follow this  
threexgreen

Decent ATC addon?

How does proatc x handle vectoring me onto final, I find most atc programs have no issues with vectoring on take off, but getting me onto final is always some sort of issue. Also what if I do not want to fly a sid or star, can i request vectoring instead?

Just installed PF3 and did a first VFR flight between 2 class D airports (using a VFR flight plan of course). Soon after departure, the DEP controller terminated the service and I had to squawk VFR (1200), after handover to APP controller, he gave me vectors to the destination without request...still on squawk 1200 - kind of strange.

I suppose, the VFR part is just a rudimentary addon, and the real strengths of PF3 lies in the IFR features...we will see  :wink:

...ok - my bad :-)

I meanwhile learned that I should not press the "0" key after switching to APP or CTR, since this would initiate an new VFR flight following request. So I just switch the frequency when I am told to...no additional checkin required.

I wouldn't say VFR in PF3 is rudimentary. Attach your log and we'll check what you did.

I wouldn't say that either and I'm just a user. The VFR mode has a few random bugs, but they have been noted and are supposedly scheduled to be fixed. VFR flight isn't really the main purpose of PF3, but the VFR mode is pretty much equivalent to the default VFR ATC in P3d.

How does proatc x handle vectoring me onto final, I find most atc programs have no issues with vectoring on take off, but getting me onto final is always some sort of issue. Also what if I do not want to fly a sid or star, can i request vectoring instead?

Well, I haven't been able to figure out yet what exactly causes this but sometimes the vectors are okay, sometimes they are complete nonsense. Last flight into KDEN it was vectoring me nicely to intercept the localizer but on a flight into KPHX it gave me vectors which let me fly sort of zigzag on the downwind. Also, the GPWS let me know things weren't right because when I followed the altitude instructions I ended up being far too low.

Other than that, it likes to give me an approach into 30 at KIAD even though there is no approach for that runway in the real world.

Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it... doesn't...

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

I guess any 'canned' ATC product will have some shortcomings. In general ProATC/X works pretty well but it has on occasion let me down, for example, clearing me to an unsafe altitude on vectored approaches. Would have had CFIT in fact on one occasion had I not been visual and blindly followed ATC's instruction. And sometimes I also wonder what the heck the controller is 'thinking' when being vectored onto final. Miles ahead of default ATC though and if you are not flying VATSIM or IVAO, a worthwhile addon imo.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Well, I haven't been able to figure out yet what exactly causes this but sometimes the vectors are okay, sometimes they are complete nonsense. Last flight into KDEN it was vectoring me nicely to intercept the localizer but on a flight into KPHX it gave me vectors which let me fly sort of zigzag on the downwind. Also, the GPWS let me know things weren't right because when I followed the altitude instructions I ended up being far too low.

Other than that, it likes to give me an approach into 30 at KIAD even though there is no approach for that runway in the real world.

Have you tried the free PF3 demo? It is cut down in the sense that there are only a couple of voices and you are limited to 200nm. But other than that it will give you a good idea of PF3's flexibility

Have you tried modifying ProATC's Airport Database? You can assign prefered runways and close others off for landing completely.

Have you tried the free PF3 demo? It is cut down in the sense that there are only a couple of voices and you are limited to 200nm. But other than that it will give you a good idea of PF3's flexibility

Just a tip for people that try the demo of PF3. The voice selection ( only 4 and not the best 4 by far)  is very poor in my opinion in the demo compared to the fill program, so you really don't get a sense of how good the voices sound in the full version. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Just a tip for people that try the demo of PF3. The voice selection ( only 4 and not the best 4 by far)  is very poor in my opinion in the demo compared to the fill program, so you really don't get a sense of how good the voices sound in the full version. 

The voice I use was never put in the demo. Pity as it's one the realistic ones (which are the majority).

Have you tried modifying ProATC's Airport Database? You can assign prefered runways and close others off for landing completely.

Did that actually for KLAX and KSFO.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD