Sign in to follow this  
kevinh

Mobile version of site no longer "remembered" using iPhone

These days, whenever I open AVSIM forums on my iPhone it opens at the full site. Previously it used to remember the setting to use the mobile site. The site recognises I'm using a mobile device because the link to "Use Mobile Version" is present (it isn't there in my desktop PC browser). The problem is this link is tiny and at the bottom of the page on the phone screen. You have to scroll down to it and zoom in before you can access it. Other websites I use on my phone automatically switch to the mobile version.

I tried creating a new bookmark in mobile view, but that doesn't help as the mobile version URL appears to be the same as the full version. If no way can be found for Safari to remember this setting can you please make the "Use Mobile Version" link a larger icon (like the Full Version icon) and near the top left of the page to be more accessible on a phone screen when the site opens.

I'm not actively clearing browser history or cookies.

Thanks in advance

ki9cAAb.jpg

Hate to bump my own thread, but can no one on AVSIM staff reply to this question?

ki9cAAb.jpg

Mine has been this way for months on my android note 5. Very frustrating

Yeah, mines been like that for quite a while.

NAX669.png

We do not have anyone who is capable of fixing this problem.  Sorry.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Mobile mode is not suggested since a lot of our features aren't compatible with it, so it's not on by default for mobile devices.

Mobile mode is not suggested since a lot of our features aren't compatible with it, so it's not on by default for mobile devices.

Then why have a mobile mode at all? Let people use it if they want to. Everybody knows that mobile versions of websites usually don't have full functionality  I only use mobile mode to read the forums and it works perfectly well for that. Conversely trying to read the full version of the forum on a phone is extremely awkward.

It always used to be on by default for mobile devices and if you needed full functionality then you could select the full version. The current set up is much less user friendly. Please put it back the way it was.

ki9cAAb.jpg

I would second this ..it's very irritating to keep going back to mobile version since it doesn't remember the settings..

I'd just like to close this thread off since the updated new site and forum addresses all the problems I raised. The new layout works really well. Thanks to all concerned from a very happy mobile forum user.

ki9cAAb.jpg