Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

Good ATC program possibly with voice activation (flyinsidefsx VR)?

I'm now on p3d 3.4.9 + flyinsidefsx with the oculus rift and loving life.. but some things I have yet to figure out include a solid ATC program that will work well, even in VR mode and not chop fps..

In the past I've tried VoxATC.. i couldnt always get it to work and i've read some say on here that it lowers fps in VR (unsure?).. perhaps a newer version works better..

The biggest issue with VR is that keyboard commands and input are a pain, reaching for keys blindly or trying to peep through the nose hole area, so something with voice activation would have been better, though i'm sure there are workarounds i've yet to figure out.

I've heard good things about ProATC X.. in looking at it though, it appears to be pretty scripted, so no speaking what you would on vatsim or real life.

I'm trying to find something close to real life to learn the ropes of radio calls, clearances etc.. voxatc was close, but a bit kludgy.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

I should have mentioned this would be mainly for GA type aircraft, with the occasional PMDG involved.

Appears VoxATC hasnt been updated in some time either.

EDIT i guess there is a beta of VoxATC.. i also saw references to PF3 which may or may not work well with voice dictation/recognition as well as Pilot2ATC ?

So it may boil down to these (i'm a novice here, but i guess sids/stars can be important for realism, not sure how that applies to GA though or if it does).. (considering these in this order i'd say)

VoxATC (v7 p3d support,  sid/star assignments, voice dictation)

Pilot2ATC (p3d yes v2beta?, ?)

ProATC X(full p3d support?  sids/stars? voice dictation ability?)

PF3 ATC (p3d v3?, no sids/stars?, no native voice control?)

*with the v7 voxatc, the voices download links on their page appear to be dead

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

I should have mentioned this would be mainly for GA type aircraft, with the occasional PMDG involved.

EDIT i guess there is a beta of VoxATC.. i also saw references to PF3 which may or may not work well with voice dictation/recognition as well as Pilot2ATC ?

PF3 will work with voice activation. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

So it may boil down to these (i'm a novice here, but i guess sids/stars can be important for realism, not sure how that applies to GA though or if it does)..

ProATC (full p3d support?  sids/stars? voice dictation ability?)

VoxATC (v7 p3d support,  voice dictation)

PF3 ATC (p3d v3?, no sids/stars?)

Pilot2ATC (p3d yes v2?, ?)

I'm using PF3 and completely control it via voice - no menus or key presses involved. It's a very immersive experience. You need a separate software for voice recognition though. I'm using DWVAC but Multi Crew Experience also supports PF3.

PF3 works flawlessly in P3D V3.

The SIDs/STARs topic is discussed widely in the other thread. I really don't want to start a new discussion here. Fact is PF3 does not read AIRAC data and hence does not assign actual SIDs and STARs to you. But it supports flying SIDs and STARs as long as you choose your SIDs and STARs yourself as part of your flight planning. And with the proper settings in PF3 a change of SID / STAR due to wind changes is not an issue. I don't miss the SID/STAR assignment. Others obviously have a different opinion. It's a question of personal preferences after all - great to have a choice of several good ATC addons these days. 

I'm using PF3 and completely control it via voice - no menus or key presses involved. It's a very immersive experience. You need a separate software for voice recognition though. I'm using DWVAC but Multi Crew Experience also supports PF3.

The SIDs/STARs topic is discussed widely in the other thread. I really don't want to start a new discussion here. Fact is PF3 does not read AIRAC data and hence does not assign actual SIDs and STARs to you. But it supports flying SIDs and STARs as long as you choose your SIDs and STARs yourself as part of your flight planning. And with the proper settings in PF3 a change of SID / STAR due to wind changes is not an issue. I don't miss the SID/STAR assignment. Others obviously have a different opinion. It's a question of personal preferences after all - great to have a choice of several good ATC addons these days. 

When I was flying tube liners for a VA, I flew Sids and Stars all the time. Now that I am flying GA aircraft, I really don't see the need to fly them, and frankly, in my real life flying I never flew one either.  But as you said, if you want to fly one, you can look at the charts or if you have a GPS like the GTN, they are listed there and you can fly both very easily with PF3. Just a matter of checking the winds first. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Thanks for that info.. sounds like PF3 should be a contender to VoxATC 7 then.  Key for me is simplicity (For GA plus using 750 GPS soon) plus ease of voice dictation (natural speaking i hope).. VoxATC was a bit robotic and you had to memorize patterns to speak.

It looks like DWVAC adds about $18 to the cost here for voice, I assume it works ok under win 10 x64.  With this combo the voice commands.. are they able to be spoken naturally as if talking to a real ATC or at least close, curious?

Thanks for that info.. sounds like PF3 should be a contender to VoxATC 7 then.  Key for me is simplicity (For GA plus using 750 GPS soon) plus ease of voice dictation (natural speaking i hope).. VoxATC was a bit robotic and you had to memorize patterns to speak.

It looks like DWVAC adds about $18 to the cost here for voice, I assume it works ok under win 10 x64.  With this combo the voice commands.. are they able to be spoken naturally as if talking to a real ATC or at least close, curious?

I'm using Win7 x64, so don't know about Win10.

The voice recogniton with DWVAC works flawlessly for me even though english is not my first language. You can just speak naturally - fast or slow, no problem.

It takes a little time to specify all the phrases in DWVAC to trigger the PF3 hotkeys. But you have total control over the phrases that trigger the hotkeys.

And BTW with DWVAC you can control not only ATC but also other things like GSX for example.

I'm in VR and am in the planning stage for building in MCE + PF3 because they both have demo's.

issues are

• how complicated and time consuming it is to set it up
  • how reliable the two go together
  • Whether both MCE and PF3 can be affinity masked off the main sim job (so as not to impact FPS)
  • whether the mic in the Rift is good enough. I don't think the Rift mic has noise cancellation?
  • can Pf3 be operated without menu's or text displayed in VR?

I'm in VR and am in the planning stage for building in MCE + PF3 because they both have demo's.

issues are

• how complicated and time consuming it is to set it up
  • how reliable the two go together
  • Whether both MCE and PF3 can be affinity masked off the main sim job (so as not to impact FPS)
  • whether the mic in the Rift is good enough. I don't think the Rift mic has noise cancellation?
  • can Pf3 be operated without menu's or text displayed in VR?

I actually just got FS Passengers.. not sure if that is similar to MCE or not, some day ill dig into that deeper.  I'd be curious as well for future options.

I'm particularly sure that with the DWVAC might be the golden ticket for our VR adventures.. i'd imagine with this we could even create voice commands for many other built in p3d menu options, to make getting around easier than reaching blindly.

Not sure if the mic with the rift has the cancellation or not, i've yet to test it, but will be soon.

The goal here for me was to get a simplistic yet realistic ATC that i can do "offline" to prepare for later doing Vatsim... wanting to get things right offline before jumping into that, which i've been meaning to do forever now.

Im also curious if PF3 has to have menus or windows popped up or not, i think i read it doesnt have to be directly visible but i could be wrong (fps impact?)

No menus or popup windows needed for PF3. It is controlled by hotkeys only. (There are additional information windows for frequencies/hotkey overview and taxi guidance; but you don't have to use them.)

I did not notice any fps impact with PF3 at all.

Using addon voices like those Ivona ones will take away the robotic default voices with VoxATC. Although at present I dont know if I would recommend VoxATC having previosuly been a loyal user. Version 7 seem to almost bring nothing new in terms of features and yet a full new version price will be charged.., so I dont know. 

Haven been checking out Pilot2ATC lately and it supports voice as well an seem to be a good enough alternative despite a few flaws. The developer however unlike the VoxATC one actually communicates with his customers and updates the software frequently.

Mike 

Using addon voices like those Ivona ones will take away the robotic default voices with VoxATC. Although at present I dont know if I would recommend VoxATC having previosuly been a loyal user. Version 7 seem to almost bring nothing new in terms of features and yet a full new version price will be charged.., so I dont know. 

Haven been checking out Pilot2ATC lately and it supports voice as well an seem to be a good enough alternative despite a few flaws. The developer however unlike the VoxATC one actually communicates with his customers and updates the software frequently.

Mike 

I tried the demo of Pilot2 ATC and it turned my smooth running P3D in some scenery areas into a slide show. Seems the moving map really affects performance, especially if you already have another map like in the GTN series running. 

I tried the demo of Pilot2 ATC and it turned my smooth running P3D in some scenery areas into a slide show. Seems the moving map really affects performance, especially if you already have another map like in the GTN series running.

Is there no option to turn it off? 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I use Pilot2ATC and have not experienced any performance issues. I don't have GTN, sometimes I have EFB moving map running at the same time and see no loss in performance... so maybe GTN??

I was a VOX user but recently switched to Pilot2ATC after trying the demo... as already mentioned it is updated frequently with new features and support if needed is on hand. It is also really good for flight planning which was not present in VOX.

VOX and Pilot2ATC are quite different to a solution using DWVAC combined with other ATC software that do not natively have voice recognition. I ventured down that path once and did not find it as immersive, but definitely a personal preference. I can see how DWVAC could benefit other use cases in a VR environment.

Darren Morris

Is there no option to turn it off? 

Can't remember, once I determined what was causing my FPS  problem, I uninstalled it and problem went away.