Sign in to follow this  
Conzy6

Moving from AMD to Intel

Hi guys, I currently have an AMD gaming system for fsx but really want to move to the i7 for better performance, not only in fsx but other games. My current set up is

AMD FX6300 @4.4ghz
GTX 960
8GB RAM @1600mhz
Corsair CX600
Seagate 1TB HDD

I have been looking online and found the following and would like some advice on if this could possibly be better permformance wise.

Core i7 4790K OC 4.5Ghz, ASUS Z97-PRO GAMER & ThermalTake Contac21 Cooler OVERCLOCKED CPU & Motherboard Bundle

I have already bought more RAM, 

HyperX
FURY 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3 1866 MHz CL10 DIMM Memory Module Kit - White

I'm thinking of buying a SSD and doing a fresh instill of windows 10 and fsx onto the new SSD but I am way out of my depth here 

You will not believe your eyes or mind when you see the performance difference going from an FX-6300 to that i7. I made the switch a couple of years back, FX-6300 to an i7 4770(non-k)3,4GHz and it absolutely destroyed the FX-6300. Don't get me wrong, AMD is still a decent budget choice for gaming in general but in FSX or P3D the performance difference is unbelievable. The biggest improvement you will see is not only top FPS numbers but how less stuttery and stable the FPS will be. Go for the i7, never look back.

Btw, I have an overclocked Pentium G3258 which is only dual-core but it is maybe the best CPU I've had for FSX/P3D thanks to it's amazing single-core performance. GPU is a GTX 960, like yours and I see no need for upgrading that.

Cheers!/Andreas

You will not believe your eyes or mind when you see the performance difference going from an FX-6300 to that i7. I made the switch a couple of years back, FX-6300 to an i7 4770(non-k)3,4GHz and it absolutely destroyed the FX-6300. Don't get me wrong, AMD is still a decent budget choice for gaming in general but in FSX or P3D the performance difference is unbelievable. The biggest improvement you will see is not only top FPS numbers but how less stuttery and stable the FPS will be. Go for the i7, never look back.

Btw, I have an overclocked Pentium G3258 which is only dual-core but it is maybe the best CPU I've had for FSX/P3D thanks to it's amazing single-core performance. GPU is a GTX 960, like yours and I see no need for upgrading that.

Cheers!/Andreas

You confirmed what I thought :D Ive seen people complain online that their not getting good frames with it, I do use a lot of add ons such as all ORBX, PMDG, REX, UK2000, Aerosoft etc but I can rein it all in if need be. My one concern is UT2, I have my traffic set to 50% and it does kill my frames but i think ill buy myself the i7 if its worth it :)

also this is what I am looking at, not sure if the price is good for it. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UAPYAGA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A234MXX8O3EI45