Sign in to follow this  
Katana1000

MS Flight Trim axis?

Seems odd this was left out.

I'm seeing some third party stuff for flight now, freeware and thats good, was wondering if it would be possible for some talented person to add an axis for elevator trim, this might be against EULA but if permission was granted and I cant imagine any reason why it wouldn't be (that would be self defeating) would it be possible to add this feature? I guess it would be possible but would it be practical to do so if not too time consuming?

Elevator trim works for me. I have it set to one of my rockers on my CH USB Yoke.

What are you using as a controller? More info would be helpful. 

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Hi, I recognise elevator trim is working in MS Flight as push button use, but was hoping to use my Saitek Trim Wheel for this function as it has a rotary axis and currently this is not possible.

Whilst I'm posting and having recently re-installed MS Flight again, had set up a hat switch to "Look Down, Up, Left and Right" not POV hat switch use, but as in two of the sliding X Y Z axis, this worked and was useful for looking over the nose or out the cockpit left and right for landing, however when I came back to the sim the next day it wont follow through as it did originally and I do not see a repeat function in the menu as there is in FSX? maybe I'm missing something? I really do not think MS Flight was fleshed out as fully as it could have been in some area's, still good fun though.

I have FSX SE set up this way and along with my trim wheel like to keep as much commonality between simulators as possible.

Glad to see Dovetail have retained an Elevator Axis in Flight School, so this should hold true for the full sim when its released too I hope.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure if it works in FSX it probably works in MS Flight.  The control code wasn't really changed much.  It just might not show it in the UI.  You can usually change the controls xml files by hand to enable some thing that are not enabled in the UI, but not sure in this case.  Sometimes it requires sim code as well.

Hi Stone, but No, you either do not own MS Flight or completely misunderstand me, but I appreciate the way you are offering help by pointing to the xml files, will have a look there for the repeat function problem I have.

xml files I can understand.

You say the control code wasn't really changed much, where did you get that knowledge from? serious? from a user experience it changed quite a bit and was unfinished in Flight IMHO.

All just conjecture now though, for a fun little Flight Game I'd really like it to work with my Saitek Elevator Trim wheel Axis ... I'm not being awkward and I did research on here before posting, its a big issue in MS Flight that has never been cleared up, my original question and still standing question is, can an elevator axis be reverse engineered into Flight, it was a hypothetical question more than anything ... a question bore out of hope I suppose :)

But I have seen additions to Flight here, inc using FSX scenery.

@Katana1000,

a very basic search, not even here at the AVSIM forums but at Google, revealed the link bellow to a thread from 2012 on this same matter. Hope you can find it useful.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/364634-how-to-get-saitek-trim-wheel-working-with-flight/

And, btw,  Stonelance was a member of the MS FLIGHT team, and the author of the suite that allows users to still play MS FLIGHT these days...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Katana1000  - My trim wheel on my CH yoke works just fine in Flight. You might have to change an assignment in the XML file as suggested, read the link Jcomm gave you, or check your Saitek drivers.

I had so much trouble with Saitek drivers that I finally gave up on them.

As for Stonelance, he is a very valuable and respected member of this forum and is able to help you more than anyone here if approached in the proper manner.  As jcomm said, he was on the Flight development team and wrote the toolkit we now use. 

I suggest an apology might be in order.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

You say the control code wasn't really changed much, where did you get that knowledge from? serious? from a user experience it changed quite a bit and was unfinished in Flight IMHO.

As the others say, I was one of the infrastructure\graphics devs of MS Flight, and I spent my free time after we were all laid off to make the Flight Toolkit so people could use Flight to its (mostly) full potential.  I know the code very well.  The actual underlying code for the control systems were not changed much at all, but as you implied, the UI\user experience around it was changed completely. Some of the sim side was changed as well (since all the sim code is new).  In most cases if something worked in FSX it *should* also be possible in Flight, but that is not a guarantee.

I know there have been other posts on here about trim and specifically about the controls xml, but I can't point to specific posts, so you'll have to search.  I think maybe Kavinda gave some tips?  Or it was someone else?

Rick, no apology is needed.  Maybe my post came off as rude or short?  If so, it wasn't meant to be.  I just don't have much free time to dedicate to Flight anymore so I keep my answers pretty short.  I also know there tend to be people in the community that act like they know more than they do, so it is easy for others to be skeptical :)