Sign in to follow this  

I'm a little stuck on what to get as my new cpu for fsx steam, the 6700k bundle I'm looking at comes with 8GB DDR4 RAM and the cpu is clocked at 4.0ghz for £429 whereas the i7 4790k comes already over OC @4.5ghz and comes with the asus Z97 pro gamer mobo all for £479.99.

I have absolutely no idea what one to get so any input would be greatly appreciated.

The 6700k has other benefits such as ddr4 support, newer chipset, and upgrade path to the i7-7700k when it arrives. The 6700k overclocks easier and cooler in my experience.

Agree, overclocking Skylake is usually a piece of cake. 4.6 - 4.8 GHz is to be expected, dependant on the silicone lottery, cooling choice etc.

Manual overclocking is straight forward and Asus Five Way Optimisation auto overclocking very good.

You don't have to go for a bundle, is it really that much cheaper? 

You could go for a 6700K, Asus Z170-A [nice low cost board] and great quality GSkill Ripjaw V 16 GB for the same price.

I don't really have to buy a bundle but just need to know what processor to buy and a good motherboard recommendation

I don't really have to buy a bundle but just need to know what processor to buy and a good motherboard recommendation

CPU... 6700K. I've yet to come across anyone here on the forum who's made the upgrade to Skylake and not been very pleased, me included. Great performance, overclocks a treat and plenty of other great features like M.2, U.2, high density high frequency DDR4, USB 3.1, NFC etc.

As Greggy-D said though, if you wouldn't mind waiting till just after Christmas, Kaby Lake will be available. 

Motherboard depends on your preferences, needs and max budget. Asus Z170-A is a low cost, well featured board that handles quite decent overclocks. I went for the Z170 Deluxe which I'm very, very pleased with. But as I say, you should look at the features of the boards and decide what you need and if the board accommodates that. 

CPU... 6700K. I've yet to come across anyone here on the forum who's made the upgrade to Skylake and not been very pleased, me included. Great performance, overclocks a treat and plenty of other great features like M.2, U.2, high density high frequency DDR4, USB 3.1, NFC etc.

As Greggy-D said though, if you wouldn't mind waiting till just after Christmas, Kaby Lake will be available. 

Motherboard depends on your preferences, needs and max budget. Asus Z170-A is a low cost, well featured board that handles quite decent overclocks. I went for the Z170 Deluxe which I'm very, very pleased with. But as I say, you should look at the features of the boards and decide what you need and if the board accommodates that.

Thanks for the advice, I am still thinking it's cheaper to buy the i7 6700K and ASUS Z170-P for £399.99 and then buy myself Gskill Ripjaw V series DDR4 16GB RAM @ 2400mhz for £78.

All this is within my budget Guessing all this would work well with FSX? And especially with DTG flight sim when it's released (if it's made to work well on modern machines)

Also how hard is it to transfer a store copy of windows 10 from my current PC to my new build?

try to always go with the newer platform, the 4790k system has nowhere to go,get the 6700k system.i own both a 6800k build and a 6600k build at 5ghz, p3d runs amazing on my 6600k build vs the 6800k build, i hit the jackpot with my 6600k at 5ghz at 1.375v across all cores, i was shocked, i always ended up with dud overclockers.ddr3 is dead as well, ddr4 is much better and will be used for a few years to come.

try to always go with the newer platform, the 4790k system has nowhere to go,get the 6700k system.i own both a 6800k build and a 6600k build at 5ghz, p3d runs amazing on my 6600k build vs the 6800k build, i hit the jackpot with my 6600k at 5ghz at 1.375v across all cores, i was shocked, i always ended up with dud overclockers.ddr3 is dead as well, ddr4 is much better and will be used for a few years to come.

Thanks for the advice Defo going to upgrade from my current AMD set up, just need to figure out how to transfer windows 10 to my new build

Thanks for the advice Defo going to upgrade from my current AMD set up, just need to figure out how to transfer windows 10 to my new build

Use a freeware key extraction tool to get your key. Download the newest build of win10 from Microsoft. Install on your new machine and use the extracted key. You should be good to go then.

Use a freeware key extraction tool to get your key. Download the newest build of win10 from Microsoft. Install on your new machine and use the extracted key. You should be good to go then.

That sounds extremely complicated for my pea size brain haha but thank you :) 

6600K at 5GHz at just 1.375 Volts!

I'm stunned too!

Frequency and voltage measured with what?  

Fixed voltage, offset or Adaptive? 

And stress tested with what? 

Temp under load?

max temp under prime95 is 72c, aide64 max 68c,cinebench max temp 65c,cpu-z and realtemps was also used.the first core would go to 5.2ghz at 1.425 but it crashed and temps went into the 80's, i am using a fixed voltage of 1.375v with an offset of 0.001, so it actually has spiked to 1.385 a few times.i used intel xtu for benchmark and also ran it as well for 10 hours.

Good CPU ,

Martin a 5ghz 6600k is as a 4.8-4.9 6700k not as rare as you think.

Disable HT and test you see the difference in temps , and you can run same clock with lower vcore.

Most of the 4.8 and all 4.9 ghz 6700k do 5ghz HT disabled with less then 1.4v

silicon lottery sell 5ghz 6600k Its more rare with 4.9ghz 6700k

Thanks Brett and Hasse.

Great news you got a good example this time Brett.

According to siliconelottery.com, their 4.9 GHz 6600k's are at 1.44 volts. That's the top 14%. So your chip at such a low voltage is very good indeed.

• Upvote 1