Sign in to follow this  

Thanks Brett and Hasse.

Great news you got a good example this time Brett.

According to siliconelottery.com, their 4.9 GHz 6600k's are at 1.44 volts. That's the top 14%. So your chip at such a low voltage is very good indeed.

ya i had considered selling it on ebay for a 6700k,i already have a 6800k build, i wouldn't recommend the 6800k at all for gamers,it does do well with loading textures in p3d though, but the 6600k and 6700k are the way to go for straight gaming.i play p3d,x-plane 10,planet coaster, gta 5, farm sim 17, and battlefield one and the 6600k played better thank my 6800k build.

How are you getting on with BF1?

I'm undecided at present. Beta seemed to have lost the Battlefeld feel to me.

6600K at 5GHz at just 1.375 Volts!

I'm stunned too!

Frequency and voltage measured with what?  

Fixed voltage, offset or Adaptive? 

And stress tested with what? 

Temp under load?

i have an update on my 6600k, my bios was a year old, i updated it to the newest on my gigabyte gaming 5 micro atx board, i am sitting at 5ghz at 1.285v, if i go any higher on the voltage i start to get close to 80c on the heavy benchmarks.i am getting the max still of about 72c at 5ghz at 1.285, if i had a better cooler, this thing would probably do 5.2ghz, i am shocked.i don't believe the cpu will degrade as long as the temps stay at a good temp.

I recall you said...

i am using a fixed voltage of 1.375v with an offset of 0.001, so it actually has spiked to 1.385

There are fixed manual voltages that don't change, offset voltages and adaptive voltages.

So you're using an an offset voltage.

With that in mind, and out of interest, what does the voltage increase too while running a demanding stress test?

But yes, truly a great chip. Sell it on Ebay for £500!  :smile:

It's worth making a note of the batch number, such info would be useful for the overclocking community.

my max voltage with 4 cores at 5ghz is 1.3v at 72c, the first 3 cores will go to 5.2ghz at 1.35v, but gets up to 80c during full load.during gaming at the 5ghz the temps are about 63c

ya i had considered selling it on ebay for a 6700k,i already have a 6800k build, i wouldn't recommend the 6800k at all for gamers,it does do well with loading textures in p3d though, but the 6600k and 6700k are the way to go for straight gaming.i play p3d,x-plane 10,planet coaster, gta 5, farm sim 17, and battlefield one and the 6600k played better thank my 6800k build.

I was curious as to why you wouldn't recommend a 6800K for gaming?  I understand the single core difference in speed and that most games won't use the six cores.  Is your recommendation based purely on this?  or is it a cost based decision (i.e. you get more mhz with a cheaper 6700k over a more expensive 6800k).  Along those lines, what kind of speed/performance were you able to get out of the 6800K

Thanks for the insight.

Kind Regards,

Brett

I'd wait a few more months for the 7700k.

Well, I went against my own advice after seeing some of the Kaby Lake tests that are leaking out.  Micro Center had a phenomenal deal on a 6600k and motherboard combo.  I couldn't turn down the price.

The 6600k CPU was $179.

The Asus Z170-AR was $120 and it also has a $25 rebate for a net price of $95.

Newegg had a sale on 16GB of G. Skill Ripjaw V DDR4 3200 for $80.

Putting it all together this week.  I'm really looking forward to see how much improvement there is over my 2500k at 4.6 .