Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

Heathrow scenery soon to be out of date

Need to add another runway...  :Devil:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37766670

:drinks:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Construction is not planned to start for 10 years, following legal challenges. Even then it may not go ahead, so we can hold onto our Heathrow sceneries for awhile.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

It's pathetic how they mess about with stuff like this. Either build a new runway, or don't build it. Messing around for decades wastes tax payers money, a huge amount of time, and bores everyone senseless. For the record, Gatwick needs a new runway more than Heathrow needs a third runway, it requires less upheaval of existing homes and infrastructure, and they could probably get on with it relatively quickly (rather than the endless number of legal challenges that are inevitable with a third runway at Heathrow).

Does this happen in other countries? I always get the feeling that there is far too much talking and "feasibility studies" in the UK, rather than just getting on with it.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

whenever I fly in from the US, APD is around $400.  It's about time they pay out the cash cow.

Thought I would avoid the APD one time and flew into Gatwick.  What a mess the transportation is from there to London.  Only saving grace was when we decided to go to Brighton for a few days then leave from Gatwick.  

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

whenever I fly in from the US, APD is around $400.  It's about time they pay out the cash cow.

Thought I would avoid the APD one time and flew into Gatwick.  What a mess the transportation is from there to London.  Only saving grace was when we decided to go to Brighton for a few days then leave from Gatwick.  

Manchester and Stanstead are also an option as well.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Does this happen in other countries? I always get the feeling that there is far too much talking and "feasibility studies" in the UK, rather than just getting on with it.

Yes, our runway extension has been on again, off again for decades as well:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/84118611/Wellington-Airport-puts-resource-consent-plans-for-runway-extension-on-hold

Matthew Kane

As far as I know all O'hare 3rd party scenery is out of date. Runways added, runways subtracted, etc.

Dan Cole

i think it has more to do with populated areas than specific countries. when people find out their property values will drop because their house is under a new flight path or near a new runway they tend to get upset. the concern is amplified even more in a very expensive and densely populated area such as london.

it doesn't even take a new runway, there's a lawsuit against the FAA going on here in the bay area just because of a realignment of some of the STARS at ksfo in the last year or so-> http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=2c917a8d-efdc-4cbe-8580-7b792e735364

there was a lot of legal wrangling about all the changes at O'hare also-> http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-ohare-bensenville-homeowners-lawsuit-met-1002-20151001-story.html

if you wanted to build a new runway in the middle of the desert it would be pretty easy for approval i'd imagine! i'd guess it's also probably a lot easier in 3rd world sort of places that don't really give a lot of consideration about their citizens. you could probably break ground on a new runway at aleppo tomorrow and nobody would even notice.

cheers

-andy crosby

For the record, Gatwick needs a new runway more than Heathrow needs a third runway, it requires less upheaval of existing homes and infrastructure, and they could probably get on with it relatively quickly (rather than the endless number of legal challenges that are inevitable with a third runway at Heathrow).

I would disagree on this point -- Heathrow did not just go from a grass field with a tent to the UK's busiest airport (and only hub airport) by chance. It is, basically, in the right place: Gatwick, as previously mentioned, is horrific to get to (unless you live on the south coast or in south London), Stansted is miles away from London and, again, the access isn't particularly great. Something like 40% of the UK population lives within a 2hr drive of Heathrow, it's already connected to the tube, and existing projects like Crossrail are already under way (as opposed to hypothetical roads, railway lines etc which are difficult enough to get built by themselves -- just look at HS2) to improve the public transport infrastructure even more. The location west of London is also far more attractive to business passengers (who are more profitable than leisure travellers and already make up the majority of LHR's customer base). I would expect an additional runway at Gatwick would be subject to just as much legal wrangling as a third runway at LHR, to be honest: there are just as many (if not more) affluent Nimbys living in the villages around LGW as there are in Sipson etc.

Having said all of that, I entirely agree with you that Gary Summons won't need to worry about firing up ADE (or whatever the current tool of choice for scenery design is) for quite some time yet!

• Upvote 3

What a mess the transportation is from there to London

Half an hour on the train from Gatwick to Victoria Station, with the trains running every 15 minutes. Heathrow to Paddington is the same time, or if you use the tube, nearly an hour.

Take the road ?  I live 19 miles from Heathrow and 34 miles from Gatwick. If I am picking up a visitor in my car I always say "please fly into Gatwick"

Peter Schluter

Thanks for the comments! Rest assured, by the time another runway gets built to serve the UK near to our Capitol, there will be plenty of 64 bit sims in which to install the updated scenery ;) if not 128 bit..

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I wonder what will come first.........a third runway at Heathrow, or interstellar travel?

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png