Sign in to follow this  
iiHeroAviator

PMDG 737 ILS Arrival vs. FSX ATC IFR Vectors to ILS.

So I am having a problem.  

FSX ATC is trying to take me to vectors to ILS at a runway, but I want to use the one I have on my FMC instead.  Is there a way to make the ATC follow my route, or can I figure out which STAR it is trying to take me to so that way I can put it in my FMC?

ATC tells you where to go not the other way around. Default ATC is no good for sids and stars.

The best you can do with stock ATC is ignore it mostly but provide a plan that takes you, relevant to winds and runways in use, from the exit of the SID to the entry of the STAR. Typically waypoints there belong to defined Airways connecting major hubs and so appear in most flight plans and facilitate building plans. Even so if you contact ATC it will typically direct you into that zone whereby you can do a simple 60 degree turn followed by a thirty degree turn onto final. ATC won't direct you on any STAR but you can select Approaches before ATC vectors you in. Simply don't re-contact ATC until you are actually going to agree to it or choose an option you want to use. After selecting the approach or agreeing to it, select your STAR and only re-contact for landing clearance just before your turns onto final.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

So what can I do?  Not fly with ATC? Because I want to fly realistically.

Ignoring the default ATC would be more realistic than trying to use it, honestly. The phraseology, at times, is awful, and the control technique is (as good as a program can really get while still applying to the whole world, but) rather poor.

Also: full names in your posts please - first and last.

Kyle Rodgers

So what can I do?  Not fly with ATC? Because I want to fly realistically.

http://vatview.com/

Join, its free. The software to work with FSX is free. Theres thousands of other planes flying with real human brains flying them, and hundreds of humans (again, with real brains) controlling the traffic.

Its intimidating at first, but once you get the hang of it its awesome. But they will use SIDs and STARS if applicable. 

Default ATC is kinda good training though in that it gets you in the habit to listen to instruction, and take control of the airplane to make it go where they tell you to make it go. 

I wonder why anyone would pay for software that has robot atc when you can get real humans for free. Unless you feel silly talking to people, or intimidated... but take the plunge and get over the feeling of silly cause it really is rewarding and fun to learn.

You can usually make default ATC instruct you to head direct to an IAF. You pick from the ATC menu, once instructed to start turning for vectors, a different approach. If you choose a GPS approach for example it'll let you pick a waypoint. Ask ATC and they'll give you "head direct to XYZ". The problem is that they still control your descent and will leave you high every time. The program doesn't take in account the altitude required at said waypoint, rather the vector path which is so much farther out. Once they clear you to the IAF altitude according to the chart and IAP, you are at least 2,000' too high. It used to work better in FS9 it seemed but I haven't had luck with it in FSX. I don't know why, the code is the same.

If you don't want to fly online or use another 3rd party program, the method I usually employ is to use ATC for a flight following. It's some interaction at least. Just request a flight following once airborne and remember to choose the airport for landing request 20-30 miles out. This method won't work for IFR though.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

I always fly with the default ATC but in mode VFR, never in mode IFR to prevent those issues with SID & STARS.

I like to follow the charts and put into FMC the altitude and speed restrictions near of the terminals.

In addition, I run an application called "AI Smooth" which is useful to manage the AI Traffic at the aiport.

I hope it helps you this tips.

Iván Guerrero

When I use the default ATC, I build the SID and STAR into the flight plan. When ATC tells me which approach/runway I'll be getting and it's not the one I'd prefer to use, the default ATC has an option to request a different approach. All I do is hit #1 to acknowledge the assigned approach, and then hit #2 or #3 to request a different approach and a pop-up of other approaches and runways shows up. Click on the one you want and then the default ATC will give you new instructions. Once default ATC starts giving you headings during your descent, you have to follow them regardless of what the STAR shows. But that's real life too. When I was a TRACON controller, planes flying the STARS followed a path until I gave them instructions otherwise. When I did that, I took full control over their path to final approach.