Sign in to follow this  
Jimm

Noob Needs Advice

A few weeks ago, my curiosity got the best of me and I moved forward with purchasing XP10 (through their site, not Steam).  Since that time, I am reinvigorated with happiness of being able to fly anywhere without issues with scenery, fps and all the other usual suspects that came with running sims.  I have to say that what I have experienced so far, has been nothing short of extraordinary.  The deal maker for me was the lighting, especially at dusk and at night.  The realism is just incredible and no one who develops for the other sims can come close to matching it.

With all of that said, my current flight controller isn't working as well as I would like it to.  Don't judge, but I am using an X-Box 360 controller, thought I have already put out the hint to the wife for a new controller for Christmas.  I have no idea where to start as far as a good solid flight controller to use, that won't break the bank either.  There are quite a lot of choices out there, but I can't seem to find one I am sold on.

I am preventing myself from purchasing anything for XP right now, due to XP11 coming out soon, and fortunately, I get the upgrade for free.  I do have a bit of add-ons installed, mainly scenery and airports (which I love), thought I am holding off with aircraft as I don't know whether the devs would need to update their models.  As I said, I am a noob to XP, but not to flight sim.  I'd been an ardent P3D user for a few years now and loved it, but now, the way devs are taking their products in to the future has put a serious strain on my system (and budget) and despite investing quite a lot in that sim, I am now more than ever, not regretting the switch as XP has delivered a wonderful sim.

I would love to hear of any suggestions for flight controllers, based on facts not opinions, so experienced XP pilots are welcomed to their reviews.  As for payware aircraft, I am open to that as well, so again, anyone who can suggest good solid aircraft, I am all ears.

If I could shake Austin's hand right now, I would.  He's put together one great sim.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

These have served the flightsim community well as an entry level, reasonably priced, controller.  This is the Extreme version, which I have never used, but the older one without the Extreme designation was great and you can probably find it too.  So much more intuitive that what you are currently using.  Good luck with your X-Plane experience.

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/extreme-3d-pro-joystick?WT.mc_id=AMR_DR_Q2_FY17_SERP&WT.srch=&cvosrc=ppc.google.logitech%203d%20pro&cvo_campaign={campaign}&Matchtype=e&cvo_crid=153875498531&partner=DR&category=brand&cvokID={profile_id}|{aff_code}&gclid=Cj0KEQjwqMHABRDVl6_hqKGDyNIBEiQAN-O9hMuT3TbTqVsQLdeVWPMhT_kywOdUeNzsV937iP84roMaAoMR8P8HAQ

John

John Wingold

These have served the flightsim community well as an entry level, reasonably priced, controller.  This is the Extreme version, which I have never used, but the older one without the Extreme designation was great and you can probably find it too.  So much more intuitive that what you are currently using.  Good luck with your X-Plane experience.

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/extreme-3d-pro-joystick?WT.mc_id=AMR_DR_Q2_FY17_SERP&WT.srch=&cvosrc=ppc.google.logitech%203d%20pro&cvo_campaign={campaign}&Matchtype=e&cvo_crid=153875498531&partner=DR&category=brand&cvokID={profile_id}|{aff_code}&gclid=Cj0KEQjwqMHABRDVl6_hqKGDyNIBEiQAN-O9hMuT3TbTqVsQLdeVWPMhT_kywOdUeNzsV937iP84roMaAoMR8P8HAQ

John

Morning John,

Thanks for input.  I did look at the Logitech once before, but feared that the workmanship, reliability and material could cause issues.  For example, the X-Box controller I used for P3D, worked well except for the left directional pad being very sketchy for registering button presses.  I think it was this way out of the box, but I learned to live with it.  In XP, it is a nightmare to use.  No matter what I do in the calibration and config, within XP, the controller is way too sensitive and it's very hard to keep my eyepoint where I want it, so hence the reason for getting a proper flight controller.  I'm not sure if Logitech's controller is solid enough to handle repeated movements without issues with losing calibration or wearing of components.

I know of Thrustmaster and Saitek, but have heard some users have had issues with both, but not sure if those issues exist in XP.  Remember, it's Christmas, so I can WISH for the top of the line. :D

Thanks again.

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Jim,

I used the previous version for many years until I graduated to yoke, throttle quadrants, and pedals. It is what it is, but I wouldn't worry about reliability.  They are solid.

John

John Wingold

I'd save as much as possible on joystick and reserve cash for a head tracker hardware (I own TrackIR). The increase of realism is huge, No head movements in cockpit is just feeling gameish now, I could not go back.

• Upvote 1

save as much as possible on joystick and reserve cash for a head tracker hardware (I own TrackIR)

I agree with this.  More important than expensive controllers.

TrackIR5 coupled with X-Camera (free) is the ultimate add-on.

John

John Wingold

I'd save as much as possible on joystick and reserve cash for a head tracker hardware (I own TrackIR). The increase of realism is huge, No head movements in cockpit is just feeling gameish now, I could not go back.

I have TrackIR and admit it's a great controller for the fps games but not so much for XP. Controlling the view with a hat switch or right mouse button or a combination I find better. When it comes to manipulating cockpit controls TrackIR can be hard to manage imo. I have the Saitek Proflight yoke, pedals and throttle quadrant. The throttle quad tends to wear out over time and needs to be replaced, I'm on my second now but the yoke and pedals are great. I also got the X55 which is brilliant, especially if you fly heli's which is a joy in XP. I tend to use that a lot as I mostly fly heli's but if you fly GA or the excellent 733 from IXEG which is best in it's class of aircraft for XP, then it's hard to beat having a yoke and pedals.

OK, more important question here, what controllers are the most compatible with XP?  When it comes to calibration and config, which one offers the most?

TIR definitely a PITA in XP - I use the pause feature often to counter the minuscule click spots

Still I think it's a good thing to own for GA flight - not so much for heavy metal.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

OK, more important question here, what controllers are the most compatible with XP?  When it comes to calibration and config, which one offers the most?

they are all pretty much the same as far as configuration goes.

While i have not tested all joysticks/yokes that are out there, i had my share of them.  Personally, and i am sure someone will disagree with me,  in the sub 200$ range  all yokes / joysticks feel pretty much the same. Sure one has abit stronger springs, the other is better for smaller hands, but we are not talking about huge differences that are game changers.  So you can not really go wrong there. Take one that feels good in your hands and has enough buttons for your needs.

If you really want to feel a difference you need to start to shell out serious money.  things like "yoko the yoke" are or iris dynamic yokes are real different things. 

Personally for rudders, i caved in and bought the mfg crosswind which have really been an eye opener and are nothing compared to the saitek. Those are reasonably priced (if you can say that) compared to other offers and you can really feel the difference.

• Upvote 1

I have TrackIR and admit it's a great controller for the fps games but not so much for XP. Controlling the view with a hat switch or right mouse button or a combination I find better. When it comes to manipulating cockpit controls TrackIR can be hard to manage imo.

I bet you miss X-Camera, as said above, the two must be coupled to get the best from immersion and functionality.

You can set static camera for cockpit area like radios and autopliot or set a joystick button to freeze TrackIR to better manipulate nobs. With TrackIr I can cheat my mind pretending to be there flying, panning views with a joystick hat or worse with a mouse button...no way.

• Upvote 1

I highly recommend this:

https://www.amazon.com/ThrustMaster-2960706-Thrustmaster-T-16000M-Flight/dp/B001S0RTU0

At that price point, it's hard to find many joysticks that are equipped with Hall Effect sensors - the t.16000m is. I've had very good luck with mine, and have been using it for some time.

However, the primary reason why I bought and use one of these is because the grip can be set for left or right hand operation, or can be set to be completely ambidextrous. This allows me to keep my left hand on the stick, and operate separate throttle / prop / mixture controls with my right hand, in order to replicate a cockpit experience.

• Upvote 1

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I highly recommend this:

https://www.amazon.com/ThrustMaster-2960706-Thrustmaster-T-16000M-Flight/dp/B001S0RTU0

At that price point, it's hard to find many joysticks that are equipped with Hall Effect sensors - the t.16000m is. I've had very good luck with mine, and have been using it for some time.

However, the primary reason why I bought and use one of these is because the grip can be set for left or right hand operation, or can be set to be completely ambidextrous. This allows me to keep my left hand on the stick, and operate separate throttle / prop / mixture controls with my right hand, in order to replicate a cockpit experience.

Jim (Yashigashi),

I looked at the Thrustmaster joysticks today after reading your post, and without owning one of them, I'm sure, as Jim (Jimmy RFR) suggests, that the Hall effect sensors and output resolution set them far above the competition. I own a Brunner yoke, but I doubt you'd consider spending that much for now :). But I can wholheartedly recommand it to anyone interested and who just won the lottery. :)

Your opening post was a joy to read, thanks and welcome !

Pascal

P.S: I own a TrackIR, but don't use it. I prefer X-Plane's very clever quick view system. A little trick with your future joystick's hat: use the view commands with the "fast" prefix.

I highly recommend this:

I'm liking this.  Can you configure it to take care of most all of the necessary commands and controls in X-Plane?

Jim (Yashigashi),

I looked at the Thrustmaster joysticks today after reading your post, and without owning one of them, I'm sure, as Jim (Jimmy RFR) suggests, that the Hall effect sensors and output resolution set them far above the competition. I own a Brunner yoke, but I doubt you'd consider spending that much for now :). But I can wholheartedly recommand it to anyone interested and who just won the lottery. :)

Your opening post was a joy to read, thanks and welcome !

Pascal

P.S: I own a TrackIR, but don't use it. I prefer X-Plane's very clever quick view system. A little trick with your future joystick's hat: use the view commands with the "fast" prefix.

My initial post took a lot of thought, as I didn't want to upset people or start a flame war over what sim is better.  As I said before, using P3D nowadays is longer feasible with all of the add-ons I use for it and it's becoming more trouble than it's worth.  I found the allure of X-Plane some time ago and tried it out, but at the time, i was so "deep" into P3D, regret was setting in and I stuck with it.  Since the changes emerging from 3rd party devs for P3D I realized that it wasn't my rig that was the issue for me, it was the sim.  For the short time I have used XP, I can't get enough of it.  Despite many others complaints with it, I don't see what could be wrong, IF they walked a mile in my shoes with P3D.

I got tired of tweaking, got tired of the frustrations and most of all, more time taken to get it to run right vs. actual flight.  XP works for me and I suspect with XP11, it'll be even better.

Thanks to all for the suggestions, and I will consider them all...maybe I might jump the gunand get something sooner than X-Mas. :)

I'm liking this. Can you configure it to take care of most all of the necessary commands and controls in X-Plane?

Well, you're always limited by how few buttons something has - X-Plane has hundreds of assignable controls, so decisions have to be made as to what you feel is most important to assign to the joystick buttons.

That said, the t.16000m does have quite a few buttons, a slider that you can assign as a throttle, and a hat switch for looking around. It would be an improvement over a 360 controller for sure.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.