Sign in to follow this  
lennie

FSX scenery library question

Hi,

I have recently installed [or think i have] a couple of freeware airports from flyawaysimulation. I have copied the file and placed them in FSX/addonscenery/scenery. I think thats where they are supposed to be placed.

But when i start FSX and look within FSX scenery library, and addonscenery, scenery; there is nothing showing. Have I done something wrong?

Not too experienced on computer files, etc; so help would be appreciated!!

They would not show there, but if you fly into the airport, it should show up..

Bert

Actually, the worst thing one can do is to add scenery by pasting it into the Addon Scenery folder, but this isn't your fault as some AFCAD and Scenery authors actually recommend this.

Many years ago I wrote a document for my group that explains the Scenery Format and the best way to rename and add scenery. It provides a short education that should help you with scenery for years to come, but as I said I wrote it a long time ago and while accurate it may need proof reading (we don't use it anymore as we hold an online class for new members that covers this).

I've uploaded the PDF for you. I'll keep it online for a few days.  CLICK HERE to download the PDF flle.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Actually, the worst thing one can do is to add scenery by pasting it into the Addon Scenery folder, but this isn't your fault as some AFCAD and Scenery authors actually recommend this.

A point of clarification as the originator appears to be new to all this..

For multi-flyers there are very good reasons to have uniformity in file names and scenery prioities within the Scenery Library , but whatever filenames are decided upon, the files should go into the FSX / Addon Scenery / scenery / YOUR SCENERY / scenery folder. By having addon scenery all within the Addon folder you can see whats what, especially when you get a lot of scenery.  Its not necessary to do that as when you go into the Scenery Library to select the scenery and place it in the scenery list, you can select a folder from anywhere within your PC directory..  But if you do that, and you want to get an overview of all the scenery you are running, you will have to have FSX running and be viewing the Scenery Library

A point of clarification as the originator

I understand your point, and it's a good one.  However I should like to add that if there is a second PHYSICAL hard drive it would be best to put all the scenery there. With only one drive, I certainly agree that one location is best, however OVPA groups it by creating different folders for each region.

On top of this, the Guide recommends the use of Scenery Config Editor (freeware) which we've found to be invaluable, especially since one can quickly and easily add, remove, prioritize and group scenery without FSX or P3D running.  This saves an enormous amount of time and effort over using the Scenery Manager and some other tools.

Best wishes to everyone!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Not sure if you meant this:

FSX / Addon Scenery / scenery / YOUR SCENERY / scenery

The way I have mine is:

FSX / Addon Scenery / YOUR SCENERY / scenery

Bert

It can be anywhere. I'm using the same scenery folder for P3D & FSX, & another folder for my FS9 collection.

All sceneries must be activated as well.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Thanks to all!! Dave i have printed out your PDF, thanks. Bert, the 2 freeware airports that i have, have replaced the default ones, but i have not checked upon landing if it appears in the FSX lib if that is what you meant!

cheers, LG

Just to help clear up one thing.......Any scenery .bgl files that are added to FSX/Addon Scenery/Scenery folder will not

show up in your FSX Library.  If you noticed that when you started up FSX after adding those sceneries, you should

have gotten a loading status bar indicating that the files are being added to your Sim.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

OK, thanks!! I only have 2 freeware airports and i know i have them when landing there. Just wondered why they didnt show up in the FSX library. Appreciate clarification.

L.

Have you added them into your scenery library as robb13 says?? Just putting them into a folder will not work.

They have to be activated.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Shy of a long document a picture sometimes is worth a thousand words.  My 3rd party add-on scenery is structured like you see below. C:\FSX\Addon Scenery\Scenery. Then I create a separate set of folders for each airport (or other scenery elements) as you see in the examples I highlighted with blue rectangles. So each individual airport folder contains two subfolders: Scenery and Texture. I do this in each case just to keep the structure consistent. I opened a couple more than I highlighted.  They are all structured the same way. Many of the Texture folders are empty.  Just depends what is included in the sceneries.  

When done this way they each show up in the Scenery Library.

Addon%20Scenery%20folder%20structure-L.j

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Just to mess things up further....

Addon scenery\Scenery is defined in the scenery config, so any bgl files added to that folder will get loaded.  As seen above when the OP added two freeware airports to this folder.

All other (named) sceneries should be added to the Addon Scenery folder like "Latin VFR" in the picture above. They then need to be activated on the Scenery library screen in FSX.

To keep things clean, the Kamloops folder etc should be moved up a level, alongside Latin VFR..  :wink: 

Bert

Addon scenery\Scenery is defined in the scenery config, so any bgl files added to that folder will get loaded.

No disrespect Bert, just to be clear, any .bgl files added to folders in Addon Scenery\scenery need to be declared in the Scenery Library.

That is, ...\Addon Scenery\scenery\abcd.bgl does not need to be added to the Scenery Library.

However, ...\Addon Scenery\scenery\ABCD\scenery\abcd.bgl does need to be declared in the Scenery Library.

In the past there have been those that thought any .bgl in Addon Scenery\scenery would be active regardless of whether it was in another folder set or not.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Which is one more reason for not adding folders to the Addon Scenery\Scenery folder.

My point exactly.

• Upvote 1

Bert