Sign in to follow this  
tull

Recommend any other weather engine than active sky?

Hi

I've been an active sky next user with fsx for years but I have moved over to P3D now and I keep getting constant CTD when using ASN, when I run the sim without ASN I have no problems at all, I've tryed everything to resolve the problem including submitting a ticket to active sky but I've had no success so I'm now looking for an alternative weather engine, it's a must have, I love to fly with real weather, any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Regards

Paul EGCC

Regards

Paul EGCC

suppose as16 is out  of the  question  than

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Yes I'm using the correct version

Regards

Paul EGCC

I can highly recommend AS16+ASCA... there is a 30% off sale atm so get it while its hot :)

Love the in-cloud motion

AS 16 is the best. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Does ASN work sometimes, or never? Run it as Administrator? Does it crash totally randomly or under specific conditions? What error comes up in the Reliability Monitor crash report?

ASN will not crash a "happily installed" simulator. Probably the majority of people on these forums run either ASN or the newer AS16 and love it. The issue is highly likely with your PC / software and not with the ASN program. Thus I suggest that no matter what program you choose, you are not going to get the best results.

Another option you may not like: Is you Windows version an in place upgrade over an existing installed version perhaps? Is your P3D an upgrade over your previous installed version? I'm a firm believer that this only provokes trouble. Format OS drive, P3D drive and fresh install - will fix your problem for sure. I know that is a huge PITA but then so is spending countless hours trying to problem solve, spending money on other programs unnecessarily, and having a crashing PC which will only kill your enjoyment of the Sim.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Does ASN work sometimes, or never? Run it as Administrator? Does it crash totally randomly or under specific conditions? What error comes up in the Reliability Monitor crash report?

ASN will not crash a "happily installed" simulator. Probably the majority of people on these forums run either ASN or the newer AS16 and love it. The issue is highly likely with your PC / software and not with the ASN program. Thus I suggest that no matter what program you choose, you are not going to get the best results.

Another option you may not like: Is you Windows version an in place upgrade over an existing installed version perhaps? Is your P3D an upgrade over your previous installed version? I'm a firm believer that this only provokes trouble. Format OS drive, P3D drive and fresh install - will fix your problem for sure. I know that is a huge PITA but then so is spending countless hours trying to problem solve, spending money on other programs unnecessarily, and having a crashing PC which will only kill your enjoyment of the Sim.

Wow, if I had to format my drive every time I upgraded P3D, I would find another hobby.  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I use Opus FSI and am very happy with it.

• Upvote 1

Wow, if I had to format my drive every time I upgraded P3D, I would find another hobby.

LOL, Not every time Bob :-) That would send me off the cliff too. Just that there have been huge updates to Windows recently (going from 7 or 8 to 10 and then Anniversary Edition) plus multiple P3D versions. Sooner or later a clean install is going to stop you pulling your hair out.

In my case, I can pop in a pre downloaded USB with Windows 10 ISO, boot up, partition the drive and install Windows in UEFI mode and be on the Windows 10 Desktop in about 15 minutes. Another 10 minutes or so and all hardware drivers are installed. You then sit with a pristine super fast system ready to begin the admittedly schleppy task of installing all your other software. Done over a period of a couple hours each evening, up and running in a matter of days.

I have an additional data hard drive in my PC where I save every downloaded file along with associated license keys. Thus I just do a quick check online to make sure that it is still the most current version and then install from the HDD. No lengthy process waiting for downloads to complete. 

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Another vote for Opus as an alternative. Built-in dynamic "headshake" camera is excellent too.

Thanks guys for the replys, I agree that I think I will format my hard drive, I'm sure that will sort it. It has been an ongoing problem for weeks, the support from active sky has been great, it really has, quite a few emails back and forward and all the advice they gave me I tried out, but still I am getting the ctd so last resort is to reformat my HD and I think that's what I will do and try with ASN again and if the problem is still there then maybe I'll try one of the other weather engines you have suggested. Thank you.

Regards Paul

EGCC

Regards

Paul EGCC

I think I will format my hard drive

Paul,

There really isn't a need to reformat you're hard drive, although if you don't have a ton of software (flight sim and non-flight sim) then I agree it's the best option, especially if the difference between your FSX/P3D reinstall and a complete Windows re-install is only a couple of hours time.

Though you may already know this, but I'll mention it only to cover all the bases. If you decide on the full reinstall then I recommend you perform a low level format on your hard drive rather than a quick format. I mention this only because I recently came across someone who had just completed a reinstall and did a quick format. The full format will check the disk for bad sectors and close them off from being written to in the event it finds any, which a quick format only removes (overwrites really) any files from the disk.

My very best wishes!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.