Sign in to follow this  
sesc360

Short Period Oscillation

Dear all,

Is PMDG Boeing 737 able to simulate Short Period Oscillation?

Short Period Oscillation

"With no special name, the shorter period mode is called simply the "short-period mode". The short-period mode is a usually heavily damped oscillation with a period of only a few seconds. The motion is a rapid pitching of the aircraft about the center of gravity. The period is so short that the speed does not have time to change, so the oscillation is essentially an angle-of-attack variation. The time to damp the amplitude to one-half of its value is usually on the order of 1 second. Ability to quickly self damp when the stick is briefly displaced is one of the many criteria for general aircraft certification."

This is crucial for certification of a Simulator we build as we need certification. I heard that P3D is capable of simulating it but it depends on the aircraft flight model.

THanks
Sebastian

This is crucial for certification of a Simulator we build as we need certification.

Certification for what?

It is crucial that you refer to your EULA for the aircraft, as the license for the aircraft between yourself and PMDG is limited to personal use, on your own personal computer.

Full names - first and last - are required to be placed in your posts as well.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Kyle,

sorry for the inconvenience. The plan is to build a simulator for training purposes either based on XPlane or P3D. The FAA as well as European Authorities require that a simulator is able to simulate "Short Period Oscillation" to be recognized as a training device (including the hardware setup of course). So.. XPlanes CEO confirmed me XP would be capable of doing it. And I read in the P3D Forum that P3D should be able to to it but it depends on the plane. As the Cockpit we build is a 737-800 the only plane for me relevant would be the PMDG version. Now without a proper simulation of Short Period Oscillations we won't get certification. All things are still to be build and I am in pre-planning mode. I saw one video of someone simulating Long Period Oscillation with a PMDG Plane (777).

http://www.avsim.com/topic/485426-the-phugoid-long-period-mode-on-the-boeing-777/

Thats why I am asking

Sebastian Scharf

The plan is to build a simulator for training purposes either based on XPlane or P3D.

I can't comment on the ability to simulate SPO, but I do need to note again that the existing license level for the NGX for P3D does not allow for training. If you're interested in this, I suggest contacting us via the link in my signature.

Kyle Rodgers

You mean we would be allowed to use PMDG planes for training devices? Is there no professional licence?

You mean we would be allowed to use PMDG planes for training devices? Is there no professional licence?

Not that you can get via our website, which is why I suggested you reach out via support.

Kyle Rodgers

The plan is to build a simulator for training purposes either based on XPlane or P3D. The FAA as well as European Authorities require that a simulator is able to simulate "Short Period Oscillation"

Sebastian Scharf

Go XP11...

P3D and FSX were great sims, of the past... While tied to their core flight dynamics, many things aren't possible, unless you run the flight model externally, which can indeed be more easily done with P3D than with FSX ( P3D is ready for that by design, being a direct evolution of ESP ).

There are aspects of the basic simulation of an aircraft like a b737 or similar that even the best FSX / P3D models fail to model properly. Things as simple as asymmetric thrust effects... X-Plane natively does a much better job in this, and other areas. So, I would advise you to wait for X-Plane 11 and give it a try.

José Monteiro

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Thank you José for your answer. The only concern I have, that even if everything is simulated well, I am missing all the great addons to make it even more real like you got them for P3D. I was strongly thinking about going for XP11 but never used it before and see way more things happening around Addons in the P3D area, which might be a false impression of course.

What Boeing 737 addon would you use for XPlane then to simulate properly all the systems?

Sebastian Scharf

Sebastian, I use X-Plane only for the visuals.

But I do believe in the future there will be increasing quality add-ons for that platform.  There is already a 737 Classic, which is claimed to be very good... I believe PMDG will eventually port their products to X-Plane too, and version 11 will certainly be a nice oportunity.

Here's  a nice vídeo ( not mine ! ) of na almost professional solution, not of a 737, but of a 747, with X-plane 10:

José Monteiro

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

The flight model in P3D is no different to that in FSX, so the SPPO should be present.

ki9cAAb.jpg