Sign in to follow this  
PBCool1

UPS Orders 14 747-8 Freighters

Yeah! 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Excellent news for Boeing and UPS.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

I recently did the Boeing factory tour (just over a week ago during my US holiday) and saw a 747-8i being constructed (PTS - put together slowly) before my own eyes. I was also surprised to see a 767 being built, as I thought Boeing had stopped building those. Very interesting tour, very interesting indeed.

Excellent news indeed! But I seriously doubt this order will be profitable for Boeing.

In order to sell these huge freighters in the currently awful air cargo market requires significant incentives towards customers (= discounts) to acquire new freighters, on top of the industry standard discounts for large orders.

Boeing's main objective right now is to bridge the gap until they can build the new 747-8 based 'Air Force One' airframes and fulfill these contracts. In order to do so, the production line must be kept open until then. It is already at its slowest possible rate without ridiculous costs (0,5 aircraft per month), so Boeing must do whatever it can to sell the remaining production slots to keep the line open long enough to produce the Air Force One airframes.

This probably means selling the aircraft at a loss. Also, do not be surprised of the 747 is taken out of production quickly after the new Air Force One airframes have been built (unless there is soon significant growth in the cargo market). :smile:

Henk de Vries

I recently did the Boeing factory tour (just over a week ago during my US holiday) and saw a 747-8i being constructed (PTS - put together slowly) before my own eyes. I was also surprised to see a 767 being built, as I thought Boeing had stopped building those. Very interesting tour, very interesting indeed.

The 767 is still a very much in production; remember, Boeing just signed a contract with the USAF to upgrade their aging KC135/10 fleet.  The replacement aircraft has been designated as the KC-46a Pegasus, which is nothing more than a modified 767. Additionally, Boeing still has 96 outstanding orders to UPS, FEDEX and other carriers; in total they still have to fabricate and deliver 275 aircraft to domestic customers. You can bet other NATO members will be placing large orders for the KC-46a too; To that point, the 767 will continue to grace our skies for at least the next 50-years.  In short, the talk of its demise have been greatly exaggerated ;).  

http://www.boeing.com/defense/kc-46a-pegasus-tanker/ 

• Upvote 1

Matt King

The 767 is still a very much in production; remember, Boeing just signed a contract with the USAF to upgrade their aging KC135/10 fleet.  The replacement aircraft has been designated as the KC-46a Pegasus, which is nothing more than a modified 767. Additionally, Boeing still has 96 outstanding orders to UPS, FEDEX and other carriers; in total they still have to fabricate and deliver 275 aircraft to domestic customers. You can bet other NATO members will be placing large orders for the KC-46a too; To that point, the 767 will continue to grace our skies for at least the next 50-years.  In short, the talk of its demise have been greatly exaggerated ;).  

http://www.boeing.com/defense/kc-46a-pegasus-tanker/ 

Didn't get to see the 767 tanker assembly. Could see the tail of the aircraft, but that's all. The guide explained that all military work is carried out away from public eyes and even staff working on them need to have special military clearances, which is understandable. But the sheer size of the building - it's colossal. It's the biggest building in the world, and it just had an extension. The guide said that Boeing is waiting on Guiness World Records to come back to certify the extension.

Boeing's main objective right now is to bridge the gap until they can build the new 747-8 based 'Air Force One' airframes and fulfill these contracts. In order to do so, the production line must be kept open until then. It is already at its slowest possible rate without ridiculous costs (0,5 aircraft per month), so Boeing must do whatever it can to sell the remaining production slots to keep the line open long enough to produce the Air Force One airframes.

They have no need to stretch it out.  The airframes for the AF1 contract have already been built per several sources, the problem is the modifications needed and funding them.  Boeing could deliver the aircraft in about 24 months from being given the "go" by the Pentagon and a wire transfer.

Chris Trott

FedEx has 767's in the backlog. Also the KC46 is basically a 767 with mods. Anyway, that would have been pretty cool to see a 767 get put together.

Excellent news indeed! But I seriously doubt this order will be profitable for Boeing.

In order to sell these huge freighters in the currently awful air cargo market requires significant incentives towards customers (= discounts) to acquire new freighters, on top of the industry standard discounts for large orders.

This probably means selling the aircraft at a loss. Also, do not be surprised of the 747 is taken out of production quickly after the new Air Force One airframes have been built (unless there is soon significant growth in the cargo market). :smile:

I don't think Boeing sells planes at a loss!!  Their revenues are $96 billion this year versus $90.7 billion last year.  Gross profit $14.026 Billion, Net Profit $5.5.  Stock price at $140.  I am a shareholder of Boeing and they have solid financials.

Paul Gugliotta

Fedex is still taking deliveries of new 767s. Even cooler is that they're fitted with glass cockpits! https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8d/Boeing_767-300F_Glass_Cockpit.jpg

Anyway, don't wanna blow this off topic so...I hope there is a PMDG UPS repaint upon the -8F release.

Even cooler is that they're fitted with glass cockpits!

That is a retrofit for steam gauge panels that Rockwell Collins has come up with, looks pretty good doesn't it? http://www.rockwellcollins.com/lds

Dan Downs KCRP

Anyway, don't wanna blow this off topic so...I hope there is a PMDG UPS repaint upon the -8F release.

Oh, i fully plan on moving my UPS 777 textures to the 747 when she's released.  :wink:   (its one of my favorites)

sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&I

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Excellent thread as I didnt know the 767 was still alive.

spacer.png