Sign in to follow this  
dimgdogos

p3d on a SSHD, performance...

Good morning, I have installed my p3d on an ssd 256gb and with the 3/4 of the ssd already covered with planes and scenery (orbx and external mesh scenery) I am thinking the solution of a sshd. I want your experiences and your opinion about performance and issues.

Thanks in advance.

pc specs.

cpu ->i7 5820 3.3 ghz socket 2011-3

mobo ->gigabyte x99 ud4p

ram ->16 gb quad channel

vga ->gtx 970 strix 4gb

os hdd ->256 gb ssd

p3d hdd same as above

3rd ->hdd wd 1tb caviar black.

psu ->corsair 800w

Dimitrios Dogos

The problem with SSHD's is that only a small portion on the drive is actually SSD.

The drive automatically transfers the most used data to the SSD portion but unless you always use the same scenario the drive will have to access data from the HD and that will translate to slow loading times.

• Upvote 1

A lot of the SSHDs have an actual fast "SSD" size of 8GB.  In the grand scheme of P3D scenery and aircraft, that is nothing.  As mentioned above, most of the reading with be done off the slow hard drive portion.

I would think about upgrading to a 500GB or 750GB SSD.

Agree with others, stay away from the hybrid.... it is already obsolete, just a bridging technology when SSD was new and expensive.  Today, a 256GB is too small for almost anything but an OS and email. If you have the empty slots add another drive of at least 500 GB and you can move the heavy stuff like big sceneries to it... P3D don't care as long as the scenery library points to the correct location.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thank you all for the replies, I guess it is a one-way ticket to buy a 500gb ssd instead of an sshd. I thought sshd  woulb be a step higher from the hdd.

Dimitrios Dogos