Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

Next X-Plane 11 video, flight school

The video doesn't do the best of showing off XP11's new rendering engine, but the flight school is quite nice although not something I'd use personally :-)

• Upvote 3

The flight school concept is great, although with the current tire friction model, a crosswind takeoff/landing tutorial would hardly be doable.

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

OMG... This is definitely not showcasing the capabilities of XP11. The first takeoff looks terrifying and the shimmering landmass in the distance... ouch

Owing to the glaring expected improvements that seem to still be missing, I am starting to wonder if XP11 is a rush-job designed to generate cash-flow for the patent troll litigation...

I am starting to wonder if XP11 is a rush-job designed to generate cash-flow for the patent troll litigation...

I personally don't begrudge them a new sale, they worked hard enough on XP10 over the years for free. 

I fully expect it to perform bad on release and gradually improve over time, just like XP9 and XP10 did. I'll be keeping both versions installed for a while. Remember, it could be worse, you could be paying $199 for a v2 - v3 upgrade which is just big fixes ;-)

• Upvote 7

Laminar really needs hire someone who knows what they're doing to produce these video promos.

There is noticeable aliasing on the tower visible in the takeoff, shimmer in the terrain while in flight, and that static view of the flight school menu looks soft and low-res. Some of that might be a poor choice of video resolution during the upload to YouTube, but there's no excuse for the aliased jaggies on that airport tower. I never see that with X-Plane 10 on my rig.

Aside from the obvious flaws, I think this just isn't sexy enough for promoting a new feature. They should be using a different time of day for more dramatic lighting, maybe with sunlight washing over the cockpit panel. Mid-day with no cloud shadows makes the terrain look too flat and dull. This looks like something a government agency would produce. It's boring. C'mon Laminar, you can do better than this!

• Upvote 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I agree, they should really hire someone who knows how to promote products correctly (Like redpiper on Youtube). The videos show FPS lags and not very pretty scenery and doesn't really show off the simulator for what it is. 

• Upvote 2

It seems pretty obvious to me, that the Flight School feature is an answer to the competitors in that genre. Think of DTG Flight School, coming up (or not) soon with a "new" flight sim based on this one. Also other manufactures like REX seems to trying to compete with new (announced) products.

After years of Microsoft Flightsim dominance the market sees other brands rising and x-plane truly could overtake FSX / P3D if not already happend.

Very exiting indeed to uncover all the new features of XP 11 step by step. It is a total oposite of DTG of which we do not know anything and -this is my own opinion- is not my favorite strategy to convince a mindful community. We will see...

Have a good flight..

There are some very talented Youtube video developers that would have loved to create a respectable video for XP 11.

It deserves better than that.

• Upvote 4

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Guest Mik75

Oh wow! This video definitely looks a lot worse than XPX in its current state, with all the beautiful free - and donation ware add ons availbabe! ;-(

I think you overexagerate a bit. In my opinion this was simplya shot onone of the development machines, with a developers settings.

They simply want to show a certain feature and developersdon´t want tobother with bugs in other components. At the moment,they wont have any free machines.On a test machine, they could have multiple crashes,before they have shot the video so it is sensible to shoot it on a developer machine. They don´t work in an environment that we use to simulate.

In my opinionthey don´t even have a real marketing cmapaign running. They simply show the current status.Interested people and developers will change at once anyway, while the rest will change, when the major bugs are solved and the first big planes are released.

Video looks like XP10 with an addon aircraft... ugh.

And that tailwheel takeoff....  eeeeeeek!  Hope they failed haha

I think we've all seen far better videos from XP11 and it does look really nice.  I'm just not sure if my PC can handle it!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

In my opinion this was simplya shot onone of the development machines, with a developers settings.

Yeah,this is probably the case. At least they could put a disclaimer that the video is from a very early alpha build.

The video doesn't do the best of showing off XP11's new rendering engine, but the flight school is quite nice although not something I'd use personally :-)

My guess would be that it doesn't show XP11's new rendering engine at all. The fog for instance doesn't look anything like this shot from the X-Plane website.

Have to agree with the others here, the video is dreadful. I really think they are doing themselves a disservice by uploading something like this, because it makes XP look a lot worse than it actually is.

Need better publicity than a shimmering mess of a video. Notwithstanding, I'm already a buyer at the wait for XP 11!

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb