Sign in to follow this  
MHM49

Landing Manually - Turning off alarms

GREETINGS:

Love the PMDG-777-200 that I recently purchased.

I enjoy landing my aircraft manually for the last 5-10 miles.

I don't think that I'm doing this correctly - and would welcome proper direction as the alarms are killing me! Particularly when I'm communicating w/Tower and Ground.

First - I disconnect AP.

Alarms start

Then I push the bar back in.

Alarm keeps going.

I toggle everything to get rid of the sound... 

Sometimes I get lucky and I did the right combination to get rid of the horrible alarms and horns.

So... what is the correct way to "take over the aircraft entirely" for landing.?

Thank You,

Mark

N49

Don't use the bar.  Use either the autopilot disconnect button on the yoke, or assign a button or key command to that function.  Be sure to fly at least Tutorial 1, which covers this normal procedure type of thing for an entire flight.

Mark, see also forum rules that ask for full names on all posts.

Dan Downs KCRP

So... what is the correct way to "take over the aircraft entirely" for landing.?

The easiest way is to right click the screw on the MCP. (The same screw you use to engage TO/GA on take off). Right clicking disengages the Autopilot. Leave the Alarm to sound for a couple of seconds then cancel it by right clicking again. Make sure you leave Autothrust engaged and wind the speed down manually on descent.

The correct way is to use the autopilot disconnect button on the yoke, as Dan mentions; but I find that panning down to the yoke takes my view away from cockpit view and can be difficult to hit the button when the yoke is moving erratically on a bumpy approach.

In my view the 777 is a delight to fly manually on approach when disengaging the autopilot and adds to the enjoyment of the aircraft. 

Bernard Walford

Assign a button to disconnect autopilot and autothrottle in the FMC settings.

I think I use Ctrl + Z and Ctrl + X for autopilot and autothrottle.

Don't forget to clear an assignment of those in the FSX/P3D controls. Just go to controls, add a new control (any one doesn't matter), assign it Ctrl + Z. (If there's a control bound it will ask to overwrite it, do it), then delete the assignment you just made. Then do it again to Ctrl + X

Now when you need to disconnect, press control and Z, the woop woop will sound then press it again to cancel the alarms.