Sign in to follow this  
Manny

REX Major announcement

HD EVERYTHING = OOM NIGHTMARE.  

:)     Sure does look pretty.

Hi Brian,

Like any of our products that offer HD content, we also supply standard resolution counterparts. It's down to users choice.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Hi Brian,

Like any of our products that offer HD content, we also supply standard resolution counterparts. It's down to users choice.

I know.  I own all your products.  I kind of chuckled when I went to look at ORBX HD Buildings link above.   HD Airport Buildings, HD Trees, HD Autogen...  I noticed that you rarely see a PMDG 737 or 777 in screen shots of HD style products.  Maybe this is because these jets fly so high so HD stuff isn't as important or maybe it just eats up to much VAS.   Most screens are GA aircraft showing off such products whether it be weather engines or HD anything.   I think in the end it just becomes to much to have HD everything in a 32-bit space.  Something has to give eventually, at least if you plan to fly an intense aircraft like PMDG beast.   I feel like the Genie from Aladdin.   Cosmic phenomal powers!  Itty Bitty living space!

You already got my cash for this one for sure.   Maybe they'll figure out something magical over at LM in time to be able to use HD everything without OOMing into oblivion.    I look forward to this release and my headaches I'll get on my personal system from trying to stuff to much down it's throat.  lol   The struggle is real!  Going to need a 12gig Video card eventually! 

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Six years later REX SimAir surfaces... :vava:

My thoughts exactly :) I wonder if the SimAir contest winner are still simmers?

• Upvote 1

I can wait.  I downloaded and installed EU - Germany North went for fight, in a matter of a few minutes I had a CTD brought on my OOM.

Great, I have so much stuff, and run with setting very high because I can and it crashes my FSX so that I have to tune things back which then lessens the experience.

Everything we keep adding to FSX makes it worse. Why do I suspect that this new product will only tax our systems even more.

So perhaps its not the same for P3D which I am going to start building now to see if I can get away from these dreaded OOMs.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

So perhaps its not the same for P3D which I am going to start building now to see if I can get away from these dreaded OOMs.

You will be disappointed if the only version you have is 3.4.9.   It requires a LOT of compromising on settings to not OOM.   There are a few known issues with this version right now that is making it a poor VAS performer as opposed to 3.2 and 3.3.    At least they are aware of it and a patch is forthcoming one day... hopefully sooner than later.  We're going to need it with all these HD everythings coming ou!  :)

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

You will be disappointed if the only version you have is 3.4.9.   It requires a LOT of compromising on settings to not OOM.   There are a few known issues with this version right now that is making it a poor VAS performer as opposed to 3.2 and 3.3.    At least they are aware of it and a patch is forthcoming one day... hopefully sooner than later.  We're going to need it with all these HD everythings coming ou!  :)

Currently I have version 3.2.3 installed.  Based upon what you are saying should I hold off doing the update for a bit?

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Won't all that HD stuff just add to VAS woes?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Its very easy to produce better textures than what is supplied with default by still maintaing the max 1024 size. Just because it's HD doesn't mean you have to use HD size. As stated above it will be selectable by the user.

Look at ftx global. Still maintains the original tile size but you would agree that the artwork and quality is significantly better than default right?

I still leave p3d on max of 1024 texture size. Never once seen an oom either on fsx or p3d.

Please, be this ...

To be honest, I can't spot anything which looks better than my P3D with REX4 + Soft Clouds (love it) and AS16 managing the weather. What they say in the video about upgrading the atmosphere system thing (?) does sound kind of revolutionizing (not alluding to their revolutionizing mysterious product about to be unveiled) but the clouds and all shown in the video look to me like what we already have...

Not sure but I'm never seeing a substantial improvement when a new product is released.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Still waiting for SimVaporAIr.......I don't get why no priority with this addon!.

Has this announcement been made or is it just more noise from REX. 

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

11 AM Pacific Daylight Time, which equates to 7 PM British Summer Time, and (I think) 8 PM Central European Summer Time. My guess is a revolutionary addon that removes the need for Virtual Address Space altogether :P :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Currently I have version 3.2.3 installed.  Based upon what you are saying should I hold off doing the update for a bit?

Wait it out.   Some people don't have a problem with 3.4.9 and some of us are crying in our beer daily.    If you switch you do so at your own risk of OOM hell.

I still leave p3d on max of 1024 texture size. Never once seen an oom either on fsx or p3d.

There are many more factors that go into a OOM crash than just 1024 textures.   I leave mine on 1024 textures too but still OOM if I fly with Autogen/Landclass on anything higher than Normal with a PMDG 737 flight and LOD factor of 4.5.     If I flew a tiny little Beechcraft, Twin Otter or most any other GA aircraft I could fly all day, every day on these settings without fear.   Big Tin just seems to eat VAS lunch.

100454.png

Brian Navy

There are many more factors that go into a OOM crash than just 1024 textures.   I leave mine on 1024 textures too but still OOM if I fly with Autogen/Landclass on anything higher than Normal with a PMDG 737 flight and LOD factor of 4.5.     If I flew a tiny little Beechcraft, Twin Otter or most any other GA aircraft I could fly all day, every day on these settings without fear.   Big Tin just seems to eat VAS lunch.

And that's it, in a nutshell. It all depends on how you set your system and what you like to fly. While i certainly appreciate the fact that LM is trying to make improvements in that area, I really feel it is the responsibility of the "big tin" dev's to clean up their act a bit more. The issue does not fall on LM exclusively.

Vic

• Upvote 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors