Sign in to follow this  
sizziano

FF 757 v 2.0

Jim, thanks for watching.

Just heard from Rush, at Aerosimgaming, that a Twitch member named MissCopilot is a RW 757 pilot, and she's not too impressed with the flight model, either. But I'd love to hear what (if anything) specifically is not right--and what, if anything, can be fixed.

Best,

Marshall

So if they (FF) are saying the benefit in buying is support for the life of the XP11 platform then what does that mean for the 767 ? Will it turn into a plate of blancmange the moment it hears XP11 being fired up ? Will it work with 11.00 but not after 11.xx ? So maybe a smaller upgrade needed to get the 767 in the XP 11 air ?

Perhaps not now, or in the immediate months ahead, but it may be cheaper in one of the sales than the upgrade ?

I'm not being overly critical as they are improving what they have already written, and the new developers on the team won't have benefited from the V1 sale. I get that.

I think an offer of say one month at for e.g. $20 would have had sales to the extent that their web server would have crashed!

But I'm still on the fence....

Hi all,

My Pop retired from Eastern on the 757, so it's always been a favorite of mine.

I've had FF 757 v1 nearly from the start, and today decided to go for v2 with the discount, and I am glad I did!

I spent a bunch of time in each version flying patterns at DFW, as well as flying a short Houston-Dallas flight in each.

Overall, the cockpit visuals, interface with the knobs and switches, lighting, and sounds make v2 much more immersive and fun.  I'm lucky to have a good FS budget, so pricing wasn't an issue for me.

What I'd say is that v1 owners should apply good economic reasoning when thinking about the choice.  Sunk costs are just that, sunk, and shouldn't dominate your thinking.

It's marginal cost/benefit that should guide you.  For me, the sounds are so much better, the visuals are so much cleaner and lighter, the iPad interface (a la the 767) to customize all sorts of settings is great--and a value added.

Overall, the net benefit is so great that v1 had been removed from my XP set-up, and I'll await the great hobby-driven liveries that have already started coming in.

Thanks for the input and debate in this thread--it was useful--but ultimately experiencing the difference is what will sell this for people on the fence.

Thanks

Bill

KSGP

• Upvote 4

There doesn't seem to be any ground effect. It just plunges to the ground. Hope they fix the landing characteristics. Looks nice, though

Hi all,

My Pop retired from Eastern on the 757, so it's always been a favorite of mine.

I've had FF 757 v1 nearly from the start, and today decided to go for v2 with the discount, and I am glad I did!

I spent a bunch of time in each version flying patterns at DFW, as well as flying a short Houston-Dallas flight in each.

Overall, the cockpit visuals, interface with the knobs and switches, lighting, and sounds make v2 much more immersive and fun.  I'm lucky to have a good FS budget, so pricing wasn't an issue for me.

What I'd say is that v1 owners should apply good economic reasoning when thinking about the choice.  Sunk costs are just that, sunk, and shouldn't dominate your thinking.

It's marginal cost/benefit that should guide you.  For me, the sounds are so much better, the visuals are so much cleaner and lighter, the iPad interface (a la the 767) to customize all sorts of settings is great--and a value added.

Overall, the net benefit is so great that v1 had been removed from my XP set-up, and I'll await the great hobby-driven liveries that have already started coming in.

Thanks for the input and debate in this thread--it was useful--but ultimately experiencing the difference is what will sell this for people on the fence.

Thanks

Bill

KSGP

Darn, well you have convinced me then. Gonna take the plunge here tomorrow then.

Does the BSS sound pack cover everything btw or just some sounds?

Darn, well you have convinced me then. Gonna take the plunge here tomorrow then.

Does the BSS sound pack cover everything btw or just some sounds?

Hi,

There are a lot of cockpit sounds, not sure if BSS did them.  Engine start/stop and general engine are very nice from BSS. Wish there was a bit less rumble in the aft areas of the cabin.

If you enjoy the 757, this should keep you happy now, and in XP-11

Let me know if/when you've been able to fly her a bit!

Bill

There doesn't seem to be any ground effect. It just plunges to the ground. Hope they fix the landing characteristics. Looks nice, though

Yeah I can confirm this behavior though this was also present in v1. I compromise by not cutting the engines until on the ground.

You would expect the 757 to have less ground effect (chord dominated ) than say a 737 or MD80.

The reason is the long 757 gear. Big portions of the 757 wing will never enter CD ground effect.

On the 757 the wing root altitude is at minimum 33% chord alt, vs e.g. the 737CL's 19% (approx).  Wing tip even worse...

XP handles this ok out of the box, but to get it 100% you need to tune it...

M

I haven't had a lot of time on v2, but it seems like a pretty good bird. The B757 is one of my favorite a/c.

So far, my only serious gripe is the black smoke puffing out of the engines in flight - very unrealistic. I hope they change this annoying effect.

One other thing is: I select P&W engines and Winglets in the Save Config menu and a menu on start up shows the same selection boxes. I'd rather skip that and speed up the long loading time.

Small issues considering all the work that goes into these incredible simulator aircraft. So, many thanks to the designers.

Jim Morgan

You would expect the 757 to have less ground effect (chord dominated ) than say a 737 or MD80.

The reason is the long 757 gear. Big portions of the 757 wing will never enter CD ground effect.

On the 757 the wing root altitude is at minimum 33% chord alt, vs e.g. the 737CL's 19% (approx).  Wing tip even worse...

XP handles this ok out of the box, but to get it 100% you need to tune it...

M

Thanks for the insight Morten.

I haven't had a lot of time on v2, but it seems like a pretty good bird. The B757 is one of my favorite a/c.

So far, my only serious gripe is the black smoke puffing out of the engines in flight - very unrealistic. I hope they change this annoying effect.

One other thing is: I select P&W engines and Winglets in the Save Config menu and a menu on start up shows the same selection boxes. I'd rather skip that and speed up the long loading time.

Small issues considering all the work that goes into these incredible simulator aircraft. So, many thanks to the designers.

You can turn off the black some yourself: Plane Maker>Standard>Engines>SFC/Sound bottom right Exhaust dirtiness. Reduce the value to suit your tastes.

Thanks for the insight Morten.

You can turn off the black some yourself: Plane Maker>Standard>Engines>SFC/Sound bottom right Exhaust dirtiness. Reduce the value to suit your tastes.

Hi Sizziano,

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot.

However, I am surprised that with all the incredible work that goes into these aircraft to make them realistic, a designer would have these unrealistic smoking engines.

Jim Morgan

Hi Sizziano,

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot.

However, I am surprised that with all the incredible work that goes into these aircraft to make them realistic, a designer would have these unrealistic smoking engines.

It's not really unrealistic. I work in airside operations at a relatively large international airport. More often than not 757's will smoke visibly on takeoff. Just search "757 smokey takeoff" in you tube and see for yourself.

It's not really unrealistic. I work in airside operations at a relatively large international airport. More often than not 757's will smoke visibly on takeoff. Just search "757 smokey takeoff" in you tube and see for yourself.

Thanks for your input.

I used to fly the B757 and observed them many times from the ground. In my experience, I never saw smokey engines.

At any rate, it is a great airplane. It is like the Lamborghini of the sky. I loved to fly it. It is really nice to have a very good representation in X-Plane.

• Upvote 1

Jim Morgan

I love this plane so far. However, I'm experiencing an odd issue that I never experienced on their 767. Currently flying KBOS-KSFO, before takeoff I put in my Cruise Alt of FL300, and the plane calculated a step to FL340. I took off and eventually got up to FL340 and everything was working as expected. However, as soon as I entered the STAR and cleared all the discontinuities the FMC gave me an 'Unable Next Alt' error. I'm flying the RISTI4 arrival with the ECA transition, and the ILS28L approach with the ARCHI transition. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing? According to the STAR I have about 200NM to descend from MVA at FL340 to cross ARCHI at 8000. 

Guest Mik75

As an owner of the 757 v1, how do I get the discount for the v2?