Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

What's Going With This SSD?

Two SSDs installed to PC....  Samsung 840 (120Gb) for Windows and much newer Crucial CT500-200MX (500Gb) for flightsim software.

The older Samsung reports MUCH better test results for average read speeds.

Both plugged into sata 6Gbs M/B sockets.  Both with exactly the same cables.  Tried swapping plugs and cables. Also downloaded and installed latest motherboard drivers from Asus.

Any ideas?

Samsung results:

Random access: 0.1ms

Average Read: 378.7 MB/s

Crucial results:

Randon access: 0.1ms

Average read: 204.1 MB/s

Is RAPID turned on for the Samsung drive? I think it might be called Momentum for Crucial drives. RAPID or Momentum only works for boot devices, so my guess is you have RAPID on for the Samsung drive.

Latest SSD firmware on both?

Configured properly in BIOS?

Just because it's newer doesn't automatically mean it's faster. What do the reviews say the Crucial can do on random reads?

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Also, not all SATA III chipsets are created equal. My motherboard has some Intel Express ports and some ASMedia ports. Both are supposedly capable of 6Gb/s but the Intel ports are generally considered to be faster than ASMedia. It may be worth checking the type of ports your SSDs are plugged in to - they may be different.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Just because it's newer doesn't automatically mean it's faster. What do the reviews say the Crucial can do on random reads?

Cheers!

A quick search indicates it's under performing by quite a bit. Of course 550Mb/s is it's top rated speed not average.

This is really strange...  All firmware and drivers up to date. Ports and cables checked and or swapped. Still the poor results.  I doubt I'll get a response, but I'll try emailing Crucial

Phil,

I looked for a more appropriate thread to ask, but I hope you don't mind me using this one.

How are you doing? Have you been recovering as expected from the operation and has life sort of returned to something more like normal?

Hoping and trusting in all the best for you.

Kind regards,

Phil,

I looked for a more appropriate thread to ask, but I hope you don't mind me using this one.

How are you doing? Have you been recovering as expected from the operation and has life sort of returned to something more like normal?

Hoping and trusting in all the best for you.

Kind regards,

Hi Stephen

Thanks for asking.  I think i'm about as good as i'm going to get. Left with some debilitating cognitive and motor function, but hey, I'm still breathing;-) I was told years ago, that it was inoperable, and to "expect the worst", but 4 ops later....   Every day is a bonus my friend:-)

Hi Stephen

Thanks for asking.  I think i'm about as good as i'm going to get. Left with some debilitating cognitive and motor function, but hey, I'm still breathing;-) I was told years ago, that it was inoperable, and to "expect the worst", but 4 ops later....   Every day is a bonus my friend:-)

Hi Phil,

It is great to hear good news like that! I once heard that attitude determines altitude. It seems to be true in your case. Keep the throttles up!

Kindest regards,