Sign in to follow this  
MrSiborg

Autopilot not descending to runway on ILS

I've been flying the Baron58 and everytime I try to land on ILS the runway lines up but the altitude doesn't change. I just can't figure it out, I have the correct frequency in the right NAV and eveything is right but for some reason the glide path doesn't respond or activate and I end up flying directly over the runway at the assigned altitude by the tower.

I followed tutorials to the letter, even 58 tutorials but it just doesn't work properly.

Is it my instillation or something else?

If the airport actually has an ILS, then you are doing something wrong. The ILS frequency goes into NAV 1, the CDI is set to VOR/ILS, and the APPR button on the autopilot is pushed.

DJ

I don't think the Baron has the glide slope controlled by the ILS in FS9; just the runway bearing is maintained.  The altitude above / below the glide slope is indicated on the panel in conjunction with the artificial horizon.

Can you set the CDI in a Baron 58? Apart from that everything is set as you suggested.

On the default aircraft the CDI is set for NAV or GPS; the NAV setting is tied to VOR 1 by default. When you get a glideslope indication press APPR on the autopilot.

DJ

Don't forget that if the charts for an airport show the altitude at the Final Approach Fix to be, say, 4000' then you must be at or below that level in order to successfully capture and follow the glide slope down.  Being higher than that just won't work!

Dijvid

Read Ubersu's advice. Ensure your Nav/GPS switch is selected to Nav for ILS coupled approaches.   Roy.

Hi Folks,

This is an old site but the best one I've ever found for learning air navigation... Got me started on my path for a real license... It doesn't include GPS navigation but once you have the basics down - the rest comes easy...

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/aircraft.htm

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7