Sign in to follow this  
jfriz

SLI, or not?

Hi folks,
I am running W10, P3D, v3.4, with good performance, but seems like I night get more by adding another video card, using SLI. Anybody, out there that are using 2 cards in SLI?? I have a 1,000 watt power supply, plenty of HP
Thank you,
Jerry Friz

Couldn't live without it. 

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

Hi folks,

I am running W10, P3D, v3.4, with good performance, but seems like I night get more by adding another video card, using SLI. Anybody, out there that is using 2 cards in SLI?? I have a 1,000 watt power supply, plenty of HP

Thank you,

Jerry Friz

SLI crushes most major games. It helps a little bit in P3D, but the major sims are too processor dependent for it to be worth the cost if you're using two high-end graphics cards for simming alone.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks,

I am not using for gaming.. just thinking of P3D. I have an Intel I7 4790K

Jerry

You'll get more bang for the buck if you run your 4790K at the default 4.4GHz turbo speed... assuming you have something more than the cheapest air cooler.

Dan Downs KCRP

SLI crushes most major games. It helps a little bit in P3D, but the major sims are too processor dependent for it to be worth the cost if you're using two high-end graphics cards for simming alone.

That's is absolutely not true,  there are several if not most games that benefit from SLI,  especially if you are using high-resolution displays.

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

It made a considerable difference in FPS with my two 980Ti in SLI. 

Jeff

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

That's is absolutely not true,  there are several if not most games that benefit from SLI,  especially if you are using high-resolution displays.

Re-read my earlier statement.

The very first sentence notes that my SLI setup "crushes most major games." This is in exact agreement with your statement that "several if not most games that benefit from SLI." I just continued with the fact that if he's going this for P3D (or any of the major sims) alone, it's not quite worth the cost, particularly if you're going to buy a top-end card. All of the major sims are CPU dependent. There are ways to eek out extra performance by forcing SLI in the profiles, but even then, the GPUs aren't maxed, yet the performance will still lag if you drive up the settings too high. This is a little less so in XPL, but still...I can MAX Battlefield 1 and it's entirely smooth the entire time. P3D, FSX and XPL? Not so much.

It made a considerable difference in FPS with my two 980Ti in SLI. 

What settings are you using?

Kyle Rodgers

The very first sentence notes that my SLI setup "crushes most major games.

I could be wrong but I wonder if the word "crush" was read incorrectly. I think Kyle and I are roughly the same age and "crush" is usually a positive. Thus I would figure he meant--and is correct--that most GPU dependent games scale multiple GPUs well and there's an obvious benefit.

To the OP: I would advise against it. I added a second 780Ti SC about a year ago essentially just so I could go from SGSS 2x to 4x in P3D. It was essentially wasted money (I needed to upgrade my PSU too). Also keep in mind that, as Kyle alludes to (but doesn't say explicitly)--there is some CPU overhead required to sync 2 GPUs. I found that, in P3D at least, I lost about 10% of my processing power.

That all being said, I view SLI in P3D as a clear net-negative. Unless LM or nVidia (I can assume no one here seriously considers AMD cards for FSX/P3D) can get things to scale better, then it's a lost cause. And I simply don't know enough as to whether that's even possible, can the GPU-dependent elements of the game engine itself even be improved to scale better at all?

Hope this helps.

What settings are you using?

I'm using 4K monitor at 30Hz., V-sync, TB, and unlimited frames.  4xSGSS, 4 samples MSAA.  Driver is 361.43.  P3Dv3.2.3.  As I recall, it was an 18-20% FPS improvement using same scenario/location, etc. on each measurement.  I was using only a default aircraft, ORBX, and MT6.   I thought it was significant.

Jeff

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

Two water-cooled 980Ti GPUs in SLI and a 4790K at 4.7 GHz here with P3D 3.3.5...most noticeable benefit of SLI is no slowdowns or stutters in heavy clouds and ability to run considerably higher traffic settings than my previous single 980.  GPUs run at 35-45% most of the time, but when challenged with heavy clouds will spike up to 80-90% range.  If I push things until GPUs hit 95-100%, stutters begin to appear.  At 85% on both GPUs it's still really smooth.  And on water they're silent and temps don't go much above 40 deg C under load.

Running 4K at 30Hz, Vsync on, frames unlimited, 8x MSAA, no SGSS.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Two water-cooled 980Ti GPUs in SLI and a 4790K at 4.7 GHz here with P3D 3.3.5...most noticeable benefit of SLI is no slowdowns or stutters in heavy clouds and ability to run considerably higher traffic settings than my previous single 980. GPUs run at 35-45% most of the time, but when challenged with heavy clouds will spike up to 80-90% range. If I push things until GPUs hit 95-100%, stutters begin to appear. At 85% on both GPUs it's still really smooth. And on water they're silent and temps don't go much above 40 deg C under load.

Running 4K at 30Hz, Vsync on, frames unlimited, 8x MSAA, no SGSS.

Regards

+1 to this

But a little information about SLI.

Dont use it if you need to undock windows.

Taxicam in the 77W does not work in SLI

Thanks Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I'm using 4K monitor at 30Hz., V-sync, TB, and unlimited frames.  4xSGSS, 4 samples MSAA.  Driver is 361.43.  P3Dv3.2.3.  As I recall, it was an 18-20% FPS improvement using same scenario/location, etc. on each measurement.  I was using only a default aircraft, ORBX, and MT6.   I thought it was significant.

Interesting. Thanks!

Kyle Rodgers

Hello all,

SLI delivers my system about a third increase in FPS and much greater ability to smoothly absorb increased optional detail within P3D v. 3.4.

Kind regards,

Thanks, very interesting comments. I will give it a try, not expecting a lot though.  I guess we are never satisfied, always looking to squeze a little more juice out.

Jerry Friz, near KSEA