Sign in to follow this  
Wild_South

ScottyB's New Zealand Flight Library

Hi all,

I am a New Zealander who is a real world pilot as well as an avid flight simmer, like all of you on here. With a combination of my passion for my homeland, as well as flying, I would like this thread to be a go-to place for people who are interested in immersing themselves in some of the best scenery the world has to offer - New Zealand.

This is mainly directed at those who are lucky enough to own addon scenery for this part of the world (namely FTX ORBX NZ South Island and/or North Island), or something similar. That way you will get the most enjoyment and realism out of flying in these parts - it really is a beautiful country well depicted by these talented people who create these addons.

So essentially I am hoping to advise those, who don't know New Zealand very well, about various routes and sorties to fly. From small hops, to longer cross-countries. 

The reason I have posted in this forum is that I would love people to post their screenshots of New Zealand in here, so people can get an idea of what it is like. 

I hope you enjoy our piece of paradise down here in the South Pacific! 

PS: Here is the link to Orbx's marvellous South Island Scenery if anybody is interested (https://www.fullterrain.com/product/nzsi)

TE ANAU (NZMO) - MILFORD SOUND (NZMF)

On the fringes of Fiordland National park lies one of New Zealand's best little airport - Te Anau/Manapouri. This wee gem has excellent facilites, a long enough runway to cater for most aircraft, and thousands of square kilometres of unspoilt NZ scenery within literally minutes of flying. But, you ought to pick a good day for it, as this route to Milford Sound, via the Milford Tramping Track, lies in some daunting terrain.

Fire the girl up, and head off into a crisp morning up the eastern side of Lake Te Anau. Initially out to your left you will notice the Kepler Track (one of NZ's "Great Walks") on the south-western side of the like, opposite Te Anau township. Progressing northward, you will fly over Te Anau downs. Take a good look to your west from here and you will notice some stunning Fiords with clinging native bush running all the way down to the lake edge. 

Next up, at the top of the lake, is the point where many people flock over the summer months to walk the Milford Track. Beware of wind here as the converging valleys can cause down-draughts and severe turbulence. Make a dog-leg left here, and head up the valley towards McKinnon Pass. Just to the south is New Zealand's largest waterfall, the Sutherland Falls. Circle around it and get a few good shots before you carry on. 

On the north-western side of the pass is Quintin Lodge, a luxury wilderness lodge with an airstrip (well depicted in Orbx scenery!). Feel free to pop in for a cuppa, but ensure your aircraft has the capability to get both in and out safely. 

Once airborne again, dog-leg to the right and fly northwards towards Milford Sound (NZMF). Descend and listen out carefully on the radio as this place will literally be buzzing (both with aircraft and sandflies at this time of year!).

Hope you enjoyed it!

Screen_Shot_2016_10_26_at_12_49_55_PM.pn

Screen_Shot_2016_10_26_at_1_11_54_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2016_10_26_at_1_12_45_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2016_10_26_at_1_12_24_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2016_10_26_at_12_47_44_PM.pn

Screen_Shot_2016_10_26_at_12_47_16_PM.pn

Screen_Shot_2016_10_26_at_12_46_16_PM.pn

Screen_Shot_2016_10_26_at_11_53_00_AM.pn

Screen_Shot_2016_10_26_at_11_46_26_AM.pn
  • Upvote 2

MOUNT COOK (NZMC) - FRANZ JOSEF (NZFJ)

Next up we find ourselves again on the fringes of one of the most spectacular places in New Zealand - Mount Cook National Park - home to our nation's highest Peak: Aoraki. It is a rugged land of ice and rock, with 19 peaks over 3,000 metres (9,842 feet) - so this is no place to be complacent! It provides a great place to fly with incredible views and vistas, as well as the challenge of mountain flying.

Fire up your girl on the apron at Mount Cook Airport (NZMC) and ensure she warms up quickly - remember this can be a cold environment and not the place to be taking shortcuts. Upon your taxi out you will be greeted with a large runway. This used to accomodate Air New Zealand's subsidiary Mt Cook Airlines and their Fokkers and ATR's. These days the airport is a base for Mt Cook Ski Planes, who operate Cessna 185's and Pilatus Porters, to transport tourists, hunters, mountaineers and trampers into the depths of the National Park.

Chances are you will get airborne into the prevailing wind (Westerly) and begin your climb up the Tasman Valley. This is the one on the right with the large glacier (NZ's longest) and lake at the foot. On your left you will see Mount Cook Village - this consists of a few hotels, bars, restaurants, visitor centre etc. Circle over it if you wish, and get out that camera!

Aoraki/Mount Cook should be quite obvious to you. If you are taking the correct route (up the Tasman Valley) Mount Cook should be on your left. If not, turn back and correct your track. Be careful as you get deeper into the mountains as the weather is very changeable and dangerous at times: rotor zones, mountain waves, Fohn winds, and severe turbulence are a common occurrence in these parts. Keep your wits about you and you will be fine. Keep on climbing now, just enough so you can traverse the Main Divide (the spine of the Souther Alps that separates the East and West Coasts of the South Island).

You will now have stunning vista and will almost be able to see either coast. Notice the abrupt change in landscape as you head west. You have just come from the dry, barren Mackenzie Country, and now you are heading for the wet west coast: lush bush, wild beaches, and ALOT of rain at times. But hopefully today is a good day weather-wise!

At the head of Franz Josef Glacier (now on the Western side of the Main Divide) should be a large, flat-ish, snowfield. This is a common landing place for helicopters and ski planes alike. So, keep you eyes peeled!

Descend via Franz Josef Glacier and again make sure you take the time to snap a few good shots! This is one of the most beautiful parts of the country. You will soon spot the airfield with its one runway (note it is quite narrow so be careful of illusions!). Make a standard join overhead and set her down.

Now is the time to head down to an honest west coast pub for some lamb shanks and a pint of Speights! Welcome to the wild West Coast.

Screen_Shot_2016_10_26_at_6_59_20_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2016_10_26_at_8_24_48_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2016_10_26_at_8_24_16_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2016_10_26_at_7_05_05_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2016_10_26_at_7_02_31_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2016_10_26_at_7_02_22_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2016_10_26_at_7_01_31_PM.png

• Upvote 2

An absolutely terrific idea this thread!!

Go ahead and show us your place!!!

Scott

Thanks mate. I appreciate the support! Be sure to post a couple of screenshots here if you manage to fly around NZ!

Smooth landings

Great idea!
I did the first flight and here a few impressions:

Climbing out of Te Anau

2016_10_30_10_9_35_159.jpg

The town Te Anau, the lake and in the far back the mountains we are headed to.

2016_10_30_10_12_15_441.jpg

Flying low and slow, winding in between the towering mountains.

2016_10_30_10_28_42_748.jpg

Didn't have enough fuel left for landing in Quintin so headed straight to Milford Sound for a drink ;)

2016_10_30_10_46_3_428.jpg

David

FSX User / Into Addons with deeper Systems Modeling / Love planes and airports and ATC

pf3-supporter.gif

Fascinating thread - THANK YOU!  :hi:

I don't own the ORBX scenery, but thanks to freemesh X I at least have 38m LOD 10 for NZ so it's closer to your wonderful topography than stock FSX :cool:

:drinks:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Christchurch to Mc Murdo Station

murd3.jpg

• Upvote 1

Great idea!
I did the first flight and here a few impressions:

Thanks mate. Glad to see you had a good flight! Impressive screenshots too.

You'll have to have a go at the Mt Cook to Franz Josef route next

Fascinating thread - THANK YOU!  :hi:

I don't own the ORBX scenery, but thanks to freemesh X I at least have 38m LOD 10 for NZ so it's closer to your wonderful topography than stock FSX :cool:

:drinks:

HighBypass, my pleasure. I'm glad you're here having a read! That is good that you have at least something other than default. I certainly recommend the South Island scenery from Orbx if you ever get the chance to buy it. Throughly enjoyable

Christchurch to Mc Murdo Station

murd3.jpg

Great shot of Banks Peninsula!

NELSON (NZNS) - TAKAKA (NZTK)

We move up to the northern-most part of the South Island now; this time to Nelson Airport. This is a lovely small city with the most annual sunshine hours in all of New Zealand. The airport has great facilites, with both sealed and grass runways, and an excellent terminal with a cafe/bar etc.

Get airborne and make a turn towards the west, saying goodbye to sunny Nelson behind you. Follow the coastline of Tasman Bay, with its long stretching beaches, camping grounds, wineries and orchards. Feel free to stick down nice and low to check out all the best spots! 

As you approach the western reaches of the large Tasman Bay, you will see Motueka; a small town on your left hand side near the coast. Feel free to pop into Motueka Airport for a circuit or two to hone your skills - but be careful as the airspace can get hectic with all the training that occurs here. 

You will notice the smooth flowing coastline now gets more rugged and forms tiny coves, golden beaches, and lush bush. We are getting closer to Abel Tasman National Park! Kaiteriteri beach should be down on your left. This is one of the most popular holiday destinations in the country - particularly over the festive season when kiwis and tourists, alike, flock here for the hot weather and stunning gin-clear waters. 

As you progress westwards, you will be greeted with more and more beautiful bays - you may even spot a kayaker or tramping on the tramping track. At one of the bays, Awaroa, there is a nice lodge and bar, as well as an airstrip. Drop on in if you like! Recently the whole country of NZ rallied together and donated money so we could buy a beach as a nation and have it kept natural for ever. 

Soon you will round Separation Point, at which point you will turn slightly more south and start tracking towards Takaka. The main township in Golden Bay. This area is known for being quite remote, and full of hippies. It is a stunning landscape! Make a standard overhead join at Takaka and set her down to finish your flight.

Enjoy!

Screen_Shot_2016_10_31_at_1_27_03_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2016_10_31_at_1_32_34_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2016_10_31_at_1_33_13_PM.png

large.jpg

1454635795908.jpg

Abel_Tasman_Web1.jpg

abel_tasman_national_park_belevenis_3_of

centre_of_newzealand_001.jpg

Fantastic trip proposals, which I love to follow. It's always good to have some experienced locals to point out interesting trips. Thanks a lot, buddy

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

I concur. Even if I may not try out these trips myself, I really enjoy reading about them. Carry on! :cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Well done. A great idea waiting to happen!

I've had the pleasure of flying into and out of most of these airports and several more in Cessnas while living in NZ. The ORBX NZ scenery is a work of art, especially with the addition of NZQN and NZMF. There are countless extremely enjoyable routes/trips to try.  Milford to Queenstown is one such, especially if you dig out the charts for Queenstown and fly the proper (safe) published approach. A touch and go at Motueka en route Takaka makes for an interesting break to the journey too. On the field is the well-known Motueka Flying School (where I happened to do a 10-week CPL course many moons ago). I went through the course with my chum Roger Adamson who was tragically killed not many years later due to an unfortunate nighttime accident while PIC in a Metroliner.

Fellow-simmers, for a great challenge try Karamea to Nelson in IFR conditions (or at least set heavy cloud to say 8000'). Execute a standard rate climbing turn to that altitude where you should be able to intercept the NS VOR. Roger and I did that a few times in the Cutlass after dropping off hikers in Karamea. Them were the days.  

Keep up the good work ScottyB.

Gareth

• Upvote 1

Keep up the good work ScottyB.

Gareth

As "Wild_South" isn't signing his posts,I can only guess he is ScottyB?

Scott