Sign in to follow this  
pmb

Why is FTX Germany missing from the AVSIM frontpage?

Hello,

does anyone know why there has been no announcement of FTX Germany on the AVSIM front page? I think this has been a major release and in my opinion it would have belonged there. I even traced back the front page for the last half of a year and while there are announcements of updates of even little freeware tools there has been no mention of any ORBX product at all.

Certainly, someone has to submit an announcement first. However, I did that. I tried it twice via the web interface without success in September. Maybe I did not adhere to the strict image guidelines? Thus, I tried it once more by mail to 'news@avsim.com'  on 19 Sept - without success either.

I understand AVSIM is maintained by volunteers who are not obliged to reply to any rejected announcement. However, writing up such an announcement takes some effort either, even more given I am not a native English speaker, thus I would like to know where I failed to avoid similar mistakes the next time I am about to submit an announcement.

On the other hand, if AVSIM is not accepting announcements of ORBX products at all, it would be helpful to have a statement to this effect on the submission page like "Please refrain from submitting announcements for ORBX products generally as: their quality is too poor / they contradict basic AVSIM guidelines / we just dislike ORBX staff" or whichever applies. 

Please consider, I am neither a member of ORBX nor in any other way related to them. I did not even get a press copy to make the announcement, but bought FTX Germany like anyone else. 

Thank you very much for any enlightenment on the case,

Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

It is up to the vendor to submit news and I wouldn't imagine 'general user reports' to fall into that parameter.

If the vendor doesn't want their news posted on Avsim, that is their prerogative. They seem to have a very open channel at a popular web blog/fan site?

You might inquire of the vendor why they do not submit requests, if you feel er... brave. :wink:

I had contact with the makers of FTX Germany and gave them the announcement for proofeading  in advance of submitting it and they agreed to it.

I made another submission as a general user (for FS-Flight-Control) before, which was accepted and published. Thus, I guess it's something ORBX-specific.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

What we now need to tie this together is another conspiracy theory so we can all be collectively outraged together! :hi:

• Upvote 1

I am not at all a friend of conspiracy theories. But it's a bit, well, strange, no ORBX items being mentioned on the front page, isn't it? Depite several major releases including OpenLC NA and Germany North.

Kind regards, Michael

What we now need to tie this together is another conspiracy theory so we can all be collectively outraged together! :hi:

A hilarious post for those with a little memory. Who was telling, four years ago, that OrbX was getting  undue promotional exposure at Avsim  :BigGrin:  ? 

http://www.avsim.com/topic/390022-closing-down-unofficial-orbx-forums-being-considered/page-1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Gee Dominique,

I had quite forgotten that! :Tounge:

Pretty sure that little happening these days has much to do with the events from way back then. However, conspiracy theories are what makes the news cycle go around and round!

On the other hand who knows? If Elvis wasn't taken by aliens, where is he? Were you actually on the moon with Neil Armstrong? Was he there, or was he in a back lot studio at Area 51?

How do we know? :smile:

Kind regards,

PS: I doubt anything too sinister is going on.

Happy Halloween!

Gee Dominique,

I had quite forgotten that! :Tounge:

Pretty sure that little happening these days has much to do with the events from way back then 

yes, the past haunts you, this is not halloween, just the internet.

No conspiracy maybe, history for sure...  Anyway Michael's question seems to deserve more than mockery if it could make this history to take a turn into the right direction. That was an interesting proposition you made then in 2012, for the wrong reasons entirely :smile:  , but an interesting proposition all the same.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Thanks to all those responded. Based on that, I can't get rid of the impression there is more to it than just an improperly formatted screenshot or spelling error from my side.

If you like (and I do), you can even see this in the context of an ORBX ban by a number of German flightsim portal sites, including even a print medium. Conspiracy or not - I just dislike all sorts of boycotts of this style and would very much acknowledge an official statement from AVSIM if they banned ORBX from their front page or not. And of course, such boycotts always raise the question who is really interested in (and benefitting from) them.

And, yes, you are right in the assumption I am a happy customer of ORBX software.

Kind regards, Michael

Could it be that your post was viewed as redundant?  Considering the customer base of ORBX, as well as other flight sim companies online, the announcements of new products doesn't fall on deaf ears.  With the advent of social networking, the internet become polluted with same information over and over.  It's like the movie Office Space, where Peter mentions that he has eight different bosses, and they make the same statements to him eight times.

How many different places do we really need to hear/read the same thing?  It almost qualifies as yet another definition of insanity, as if people look for this information to be repeated over and over, but yet expect a little something more from it.  I'm not saying you were wrong in doing what you did Michael, but honestly, ORBX has a great advertising base, not to mention that they are run by a rather large management staff (don't forget the Board of Directors too).  I'm sure your advertisement was appreciated by ORBX, but redundancy isn't always tolerated by everyone.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I honestly never look at the Avsim front page for news.  Always ages behind the actual announcements.  Better info if you look at the forums regularly or watch the Frooglesim News on YouTube each week.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

You might inquire of the vendor why they do not submit requests, if you feel er... brave. :wink:

No need to inquire or be brave. OrbX CEO said many times that he considers the Avsim OrbX unoffcial support forum as encouraging piracy as you don't have to show there that you are a genuine buyer. As an user who ultimately pays for the pirates, I can't and don't blame him for that. So  it seems they boycott each other in parallel.  

Yes Virginia, grownups can behave like that.

Dominique

The relationship between AVSIM and ORBX seems to have been problematic for years.

You're asking a valid question, Michael, but I doubt any conceivable answer would be satisfactory.

Thanks Oliver, for the honest opinion. I am afraid this hits the nail pretty well. Which does not mean I am going to approve that crazy situation.

To Mark: As I said before, I submitted another AVSIM frontpage announcement some months ago, which was accepted (as, fortunately, non ORBX-related) and the author told me it initiated a huge hit in sales.

Kind regards, Michael

Hello Michael, I indeed did receive the two notifications you sent and due to policy did not post them.

Call it a legacy issue ,  our founder Tom Allensworth had a strict policy that no product from ORBX will ever be posted , Avsim's  policies have been maintained to the letter since Toms passing and so companies that were " Blacklisted " remain so .

C Jodry

Managing Editor

Avsim.com