Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

What's the consensus on AS16 and ASCA since the patches?

Hi all,

AS16/ASCA is on sale and I'm ponderig getting it.  I use ASN+Rex right now.  It's a pretty penny for upgrade so I have to be wise.  What are your thoughs these days? 

• Air movement (turbulence) any improvement?
  • How do ASCA clouds look?
  • How's performance with/without ASCA?

Thanks!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I also have the upgrade ready for checkout, but afraid to click order. Any suggestions?

Add me to the crowd.

Even more, as REX Skyforce - as far as I understood - seems to be quite some time into the future according to their yesterday's Airports HD Twitch.

Kind regards, Michael

Skyforce sounds interesting but I won't wait forever for it.

Hi all,

AS16/ASCA is on sale and I'm ponderig getting it.  I use ASN+Rex right now.  It's a pretty penny for upgrade so I have to be wise.  What are your thoughs these days?

• Air movement (turbulence) any improvement?
  • How do ASCA clouds look?
  • How's performance with/without ASCA?
Thanks!

there is a 7- day Trial Version :wink:

If memory serves me right, the trial is only for AS2016, while the critial part is ASCA.

Kinds regards, Michael

I don't know what to tell you guys, using AS and ASCA ( Global automatic mode). I need to try with the soft clouds though (have it but not installed). I'm happy with it. 

I would say AS2016 is a no-brainer, especially if you use Prepar3D: You get better performance in overcast conditions, and the program handles visibility better than ASN.

As far as ASCA, I have not bought it yet. The idea of having sky and cloud textures change real-time is great, but I have seen sky colors and cloud formations on some screenshots that look very cartoonish and unrealistic. In this regard, I prefer textures from REX TD4, and I will be waiting for Sky Force 3D.

[EDIT: With AS2016, you also get to see in-cloud motion effects, and if you fly at northern latitudes, the program corrects an inherent flaw in FSX/P3D where the clouds would be more squeezed the further you fly up north. Two more reasons why AS2016 is a no-brainer.]

I went from being an ASN w/ REX 4 TD user to AS16 and ASCA.  The combo is fantastic and I have not seen any cartoonish looking views.  That being said, I do not use the ASCA sky textures as I do not think they are overly realistic so I left that option unchecked.  I use Full Dynamic mode and have been very happy with the results!  The thunderstorm depictions are great as opposed to ASN where they just were not realistic looking.  Now they can tower above you even at airliner cruising altitudes!

• Upvote 1

I went from being an ASN w/ REX 4 TD user to AS16 and ASCA. The combo is fantastic and I have not seen any cartoonish looking views. That being said, I do not use the ASCA sky textures as I do not think they are overly realistic so I left that option unchecked. I use Full Dynamic mode and have been very happy with the results! The thunderstorm depictions are great as opposed to ASN where they just were not realistic looking. Now they can tower above you even at airliner cruising altitudes!

ASCA is a big question.  I hear it both ways...cartoonish at times while others say it's okay.  Not sure what to think but that's a fairly expensive add-on...a hail mary for sure.

I would say AS2016 is a no-brainer, especially if you use Prepar3D: You get better performance in overcast conditions, and the program handles visibility better than ASN.

Good to hear about performance improvements.

While it makes sense to ask what other users experience are with this product given they have had access to it for awhile anyone who is on the fence should take advantage of the free trial and then just play around with the weather settings. Using the free trial in conjunction with feedback from owners of the product should really help make the decision clear. For the people who are using it is anyone using it on fsx-se or have most people migrated over to p3d at this point?

I went from being an ASN w/ REX 4 TD user to AS16 and ASCA. The combo is fantastic and I have not seen any cartoonish looking views. That being said, I do not use the ASCA sky textures as I do not think they are overly realistic so I left that option unchecked. I use Full Dynamic mode and have been very happy with the results! The thunderstorm depictions are great as opposed to ASN where they just were not realistic looking. Now they can tower above you even at airliner cruising altitudes!

Same exact answer for me.

Came from FEX textures and ASN and using AS16 and ASCA but don't use the sky textures and run in Full Global mode.

Looks awesome and better than REX or FEX textures but have to still use HDEv2 sky textures as those still look most realistic to me.

I went from using as 2016 with soft clouds to ASCA I love it . Using Global Auto mode aswell. I have yet to use the HD content package that comes with it my clouds are at 1024 for a softer edge.and the good thing about HIFI is they are always working on their products so it's only going to get better.

AS16 + ASCA in full dynamics is absolutely awesome. For me it is a huge step forward from ASN. ASN was never able to display complex weather like full overcast, towering cumulus, etc. With AS16+ASCA the weather is now so much more than puffy clouds here and there. I love it.

PS: I fly mostly tubeliners so I spend a fair amount of time at FL300 and up

For me the step from ASN to AS16 (both with Rex Soft Clouds, not ASCA) was an improvement. Not as big as from the weather engine I used before (which already was a big step up from FSX default), but for me clearly worth the reasonable price (recent 30% sale + had a $5 coupon).

Some people complained about the new "airbrushy" clouds, but I like them and they look like the clouds I see here outside the window. And at first I doubted that the in-cloud motion effect would be good when flying GA aircraft (like I prefer to do), but they are great!

Performance is absolutely no problem, even on my old system (Intel Core 2 Duo at 3.16 GHz, GTX 260).

ASCA is on the wish list, but I'm not sure about a possible performance hit on my aging system.

I moved from ASN + REX SC to AS16 + ASCA and I would never go back...and I believe it has still room for improvement form a purely visual stand point as it is true that not all cloud textures from ASCA are equally nice and realistic but overall with this combo I am having the most realistic and good looking views I have ever had in my simming. I am using it mostly on P3D.V3..the performance are ok. I would say this is a no-brainer... 

AS16+ASCA with slgihtly bigger cloud formation ahead: 19fps.

P3D without AS16 - 60fps.

Seems like it's very poorly optimized. Mind it's my first major weather addon in P3D for me, so can't compare it with anything. 

Visually it's great though. Effect-wise (crosswind/wake/turbulence) is a hit or miss. 

AS16+ASCA with slgihtly bigger cloud formation ahead: 19fps.

P3D without AS16 - 60fps.

Seems like it's very poorly optimized. Mind it's my first major weather addon in P3D for me, so can't compare it with anything. 

Visually it's great though. Effect-wise (crosswind/wake/turbulence) is a hit or miss.

If that's the case then your graphics card is too weak. I don't see a signifikant performance drop with AS16 and performance is much better than with ASN.

If that's the case then your graphics card is too weak. I don't see a signifikant performance drop with AS16 and performance is much better than with ASN

GTX 970. Glad you don't have any issues. I do. 

If this is considered a poor card I would be out, too.

Kind regards, Michael

Then you must be running SGSS AA. Judging from various reviews and from what I read in most posts, the general consensus is that AS16 has better performance than ASN. So everybody who can run ASN should be able to run AS16 without problems. And this is also my experience.

AS16/ASCA is on sale and I'm ponderig getting it. I use ASN+Rex right now.

Less pondering. more buying!!!!!

I made the same switch. I think one can spend too long trying to make comparisons in all kinds of weather/time conditions and trying to come up with a consensus view of whats best. All I can say is, I switched to AS2016+ASCA and performance and visual wise, it seemed to me at first use to be a MASSIVE step up in immersion factor. And since that initial impression, I have not sought to try and revisit the question.

So go for it - I am so pleased I made the switch! (REX4TD will live on though, just to provide the airport textures for my setup.)

Then you must be running SGSS AA. Judging from various reviews and from what I read in most posts, the general consensus is that AS16 has better performance than ASN. So everybody who can run ASN should be able to run AS16 without problems. And this is also my experience.

This is the reason people who have decided to buy the product should still use the free trial just to make sure there is no problems with their system and the software. Free trial can be very useful for that issue as well!

I have a 970 so I hope this isn't the case. I have no issue with ASN & soft clouds haven't tried as2016.

This is a bit worrying, I still use the GTX 580.