Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

What's the consensus on AS16 and ASCA since the patches?

Hi all,

AS16/ASCA is on sale and I'm ponderig getting it.  I use ASN+Rex right now.  It's a pretty penny for upgrade so I have to be wise.  What are your thoughs these days? 

• Air movement (turbulence) any improvement?
  • How do ASCA clouds look?
  • How's performance with/without ASCA?

Thanks!

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Same situation for me andso awaiting an answer.

spacer.png

I also have the upgrade ready for checkout, but afraid to click order. Any suggestions?

Add me to the crowd.

Even more, as REX Skyforce - as far as I understood - seems to be quite some time into the future according to their yesterday's Airports HD Twitch.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Skyforce sounds interesting but I won't wait forever for it.

spacer.png

Hi all,

AS16/ASCA is on sale and I'm ponderig getting it.  I use ASN+Rex right now.  It's a pretty penny for upgrade so I have to be wise.  What are your thoughs these days?

• Air movement (turbulence) any improvement?
  • How do ASCA clouds look?
  • How's performance with/without ASCA?
Thanks!

there is a 7- day Trial Version :wink:

If memory serves me right, the trial is only for AS2016, while the critial part is ASCA.

Kinds regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I don't know what to tell you guys, using AS and ASCA ( Global automatic mode). I need to try with the soft clouds though (have it but not installed). I'm happy with it. 

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

I would say AS2016 is a no-brainer, especially if you use Prepar3D: You get better performance in overcast conditions, and the program handles visibility better than ASN.

As far as ASCA, I have not bought it yet. The idea of having sky and cloud textures change real-time is great, but I have seen sky colors and cloud formations on some screenshots that look very cartoonish and unrealistic. In this regard, I prefer textures from REX TD4, and I will be waiting for Sky Force 3D.

[EDIT: With AS2016, you also get to see in-cloud motion effects, and if you fly at northern latitudes, the program corrects an inherent flaw in FSX/P3D where the clouds would be more squeezed the further you fly up north. Two more reasons why AS2016 is a no-brainer.]

I went from being an ASN w/ REX 4 TD user to AS16 and ASCA.  The combo is fantastic and I have not seen any cartoonish looking views.  That being said, I do not use the ASCA sky textures as I do not think they are overly realistic so I left that option unchecked.  I use Full Dynamic mode and have been very happy with the results!  The thunderstorm depictions are great as opposed to ASN where they just were not realistic looking.  Now they can tower above you even at airliner cruising altitudes!

• Upvote 1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

I went from being an ASN w/ REX 4 TD user to AS16 and ASCA. The combo is fantastic and I have not seen any cartoonish looking views. That being said, I do not use the ASCA sky textures as I do not think they are overly realistic so I left that option unchecked. I use Full Dynamic mode and have been very happy with the results! The thunderstorm depictions are great as opposed to ASN where they just were not realistic looking. Now they can tower above you even at airliner cruising altitudes!

ASCA is a big question.  I hear it both ways...cartoonish at times while others say it's okay.  Not sure what to think but that's a fairly expensive add-on...a hail mary for sure.

I would say AS2016 is a no-brainer, especially if you use Prepar3D: You get better performance in overcast conditions, and the program handles visibility better than ASN.

Good to hear about performance improvements.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

While it makes sense to ask what other users experience are with this product given they have had access to it for awhile anyone who is on the fence should take advantage of the free trial and then just play around with the weather settings. Using the free trial in conjunction with feedback from owners of the product should really help make the decision clear. For the people who are using it is anyone using it on fsx-se or have most people migrated over to p3d at this point?

I went from being an ASN w/ REX 4 TD user to AS16 and ASCA. The combo is fantastic and I have not seen any cartoonish looking views. That being said, I do not use the ASCA sky textures as I do not think they are overly realistic so I left that option unchecked. I use Full Dynamic mode and have been very happy with the results! The thunderstorm depictions are great as opposed to ASN where they just were not realistic looking. Now they can tower above you even at airliner cruising altitudes!

Same exact answer for me.

Came from FEX textures and ASN and using AS16 and ASCA but don't use the sky textures and run in Full Global mode.

Looks awesome and better than REX or FEX textures but have to still use HDEv2 sky textures as those still look most realistic to me.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I went from using as 2016 with soft clouds to ASCA I love it . Using Global Auto mode aswell. I have yet to use the HD content package that comes with it my clouds are at 1024 for a softer edge.and the good thing about HIFI is they are always working on their products so it's only going to get better.

AS16 + ASCA in full dynamics is absolutely awesome. For me it is a huge step forward from ASN. ASN was never able to display complex weather like full overcast, towering cumulus, etc. With AS16+ASCA the weather is now so much more than puffy clouds here and there. I love it.

PS: I fly mostly tubeliners so I spend a fair amount of time at FL300 and up

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT