Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

What's the consensus on AS16 and ASCA since the patches?

For me the step from ASN to AS16 (both with Rex Soft Clouds, not ASCA) was an improvement. Not as big as from the weather engine I used before (which already was a big step up from FSX default), but for me clearly worth the reasonable price (recent 30% sale + had a $5 coupon).

Some people complained about the new "airbrushy" clouds, but I like them and they look like the clouds I see here outside the window. And at first I doubted that the in-cloud motion effect would be good when flying GA aircraft (like I prefer to do), but they are great!

Performance is absolutely no problem, even on my old system (Intel Core 2 Duo at 3.16 GHz, GTX 260).

ASCA is on the wish list, but I'm not sure about a possible performance hit on my aging system.

I moved from ASN + REX SC to AS16 + ASCA and I would never go back...and I believe it has still room for improvement form a purely visual stand point as it is true that not all cloud textures from ASCA are equally nice and realistic but overall with this combo I am having the most realistic and good looking views I have ever had in my simming. I am using it mostly on P3D.V3..the performance are ok. I would say this is a no-brainer... 

AMD Ryzen 7800x3d, Asus ROG Strix RTX4090, Asus x670e-e, G-Skill F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR

AS16+ASCA with slgihtly bigger cloud formation ahead: 19fps.

P3D without AS16 - 60fps.

Seems like it's very poorly optimized. Mind it's my first major weather addon in P3D for me, so can't compare it with anything. 

Visually it's great though. Effect-wise (crosswind/wake/turbulence) is a hit or miss. 

AS16+ASCA with slgihtly bigger cloud formation ahead: 19fps.

P3D without AS16 - 60fps.

Seems like it's very poorly optimized. Mind it's my first major weather addon in P3D for me, so can't compare it with anything. 

Visually it's great though. Effect-wise (crosswind/wake/turbulence) is a hit or miss.

If that's the case then your graphics card is too weak. I don't see a signifikant performance drop with AS16 and performance is much better than with ASN.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

If that's the case then your graphics card is too weak. I don't see a signifikant performance drop with AS16 and performance is much better than with ASN

GTX 970. Glad you don't have any issues. I do. 

If this is considered a poor card I would be out, too.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Then you must be running SGSS AA. Judging from various reviews and from what I read in most posts, the general consensus is that AS16 has better performance than ASN. So everybody who can run ASN should be able to run AS16 without problems. And this is also my experience.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

AS16/ASCA is on sale and I'm ponderig getting it. I use ASN+Rex right now.

Less pondering. more buying!!!!!

I made the same switch. I think one can spend too long trying to make comparisons in all kinds of weather/time conditions and trying to come up with a consensus view of whats best. All I can say is, I switched to AS2016+ASCA and performance and visual wise, it seemed to me at first use to be a MASSIVE step up in immersion factor. And since that initial impression, I have not sought to try and revisit the question.

So go for it - I am so pleased I made the switch! (REX4TD will live on though, just to provide the airport textures for my setup.)

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

Then you must be running SGSS AA. Judging from various reviews and from what I read in most posts, the general consensus is that AS16 has better performance than ASN. So everybody who can run ASN should be able to run AS16 without problems. And this is also my experience.

This is the reason people who have decided to buy the product should still use the free trial just to make sure there is no problems with their system and the software. Free trial can be very useful for that issue as well!

I have a 970 so I hope this isn't the case. I have no issue with ASN & soft clouds haven't tried as2016.

This is a bit worrying, I still use the GTX 580.

<p>I am speaking of my personal experience. </p>

<p>My sim is set to realatively humble settings but not to the point that gauges are completely unreadable (yay P3D and aliasing issuess...) </p>

<p>So again, sim works fine. But if there is a bigger cloud formation ahead, be it overcast or larger cumulus/stratoculumus formation, and I am actually LOOKING through the windshield, my fps tanks. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Happily, AS16+ASCA can be obtained in a form of trial. Install it and look for yourself as for how it's working on your system before you commit.</p>

No regretting anything!   This is 512 DXT textures from ASCA and THAT is a REAL thunderstorm!  For the first time ever in my history of using weather programs this is the first time one has gotten the look and feel of a building thunderstorm correctly.   This was coming out of Seattle and I was like... "WHOA... that is gorgeous!"    I run with 4 cloud layers, 130 mile draw distance and visibility distance set.   I am loving AS16+ASCA!   It is epic weather, especially with Dynamic mode on which it was when I did this... well.. sort of dynamic mode.  I don't like it changing my sky texture colors on the fly so I locked those in but set the clouds to dynamic.   Worth it, especially at 30% off!

Thunderhead.png

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Before deciding if I should have bought the "AS16+ASCA" pack, I literly went outside, checked the clouds, went inside, bought ASCA + AS16 trial and it was a nobrainer for me. The picture and layout of the clouds was just perferfect. Keep in mind I tried full ASCA+AS16 with REX soft cloud textures... asca textures were so much more realistic

Well, I went ahead and got it.  My impressions (which are fairly subjective)  I used the global dynamic thing:

• The haze looks better, more real.
  • The clouds, at least some of them, look like puffy cotton balls from a distance.  On the other hand, flying closer to them, they look better than the ones I was using.
  • The flying through them thing seems natural enough.
  • I didn't see any performance hit.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

No regretting anything!   This is 512 DXT textures from ASCA and THAT is a REAL thunderstorm!  For the first time ever in my history of using weather programs this is the first time one has gotten the look and feel of a building thunderstorm correctly.   This was coming out of Seattle and I was like... "WHOA... that is gorgeous!"    I run with 4 cloud layers, 130 mile draw distance and visibility distance set.   I am loving AS16+ASCA!   It is epic weather, especially with Dynamic mode on which it was when I did this... well.. sort of dynamic mode.  I don't like it changing my sky texture colors on the fly so I locked those in but set the clouds to dynamic.   Worth it, especially at 30% off!

Thunderhead.png

Great pic, I felt the same way the first time I was approaching a system.

Before deciding if I should have bought the "AS16+ASCA" pack, I literly went outside, checked the clouds, went inside, bought ASCA + AS16 trial and it was a nobrainer for me. The picture and layout of the clouds was just perferfect. Keep in mind I tried full ASCA+AS16 with REX soft cloud textures... asca textures were so much more realistic

Pretty realistic huh?  Things will only get better.  Stand by for more updates soon.

Robert

\Robert Hamlich/