Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

What's the consensus on AS16 and ASCA since the patches?

Pretty realistic huh?  Things will only get better.  Stand by for more updates soon.

More? Tell us more, please :D

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

More? Tell us more, please :D

Yes, tell us more please! I did buy AS16 and ASCA but stopped using ASCA and went back to my favorite freeware clouds and skies. AS16 is an improvement though: I wasn't too positive at first (it was good but too much like ASN) but I see now it is a lot better than ASN when it comes to the haze in the distance (the horizon) and overcast situations. So that upgrade was worth it. Didn't like ASCA though. Fake clouds and too odd sky colors. I did like the dynamic idea though. So I am really wondering what exactly will get better!

So maybe AS16 is a good way to go but with a different texture set?  Anybody recommend a good texture set for P3D?

spacer.png

Sunsets based on atmospheric conditions would be a big change.  Bigger than big.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Anybody recommend a good texture set for P3D?

You will get as much recommendations as there are texture sets. And they are all good in the eye of the user. This really is something very subjective. But anyway, here is my very personal recommendation: HDEv2 clouds (I only use cumulus, which is a single bmp: yes, that's ALL you need for very good looking and very varied skyscapes: who needs thousands of REX files...) and Navid's Sky Set 2016 v3. Both will give you the best possible skies to fly through. Seriously. Imho. Free too. And now on to all REX/ASCA/whatever-fans.  :wink:

http://navidh.se/misc_navids_skyset_2016_v3.html

Can't seem to find the proper HDEv2 file that I use online. Could be I converted my copy to FSX and later P3D and gave it a lower resolution also... If you want it, PM me and I will mail it. It's only one bmp.

EDIT

Found a link after all: in the Avsim library! 

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=HDE&CatID=root&Go=Search

Download HDE - High Definition Environment, v2.0 and then only use the cumulus01.bmp. I use the 512x512 DTX3 one (I hate HD clouds... maybe I even use the LOW version, I am not sure) but you can choose whatever you like. Discard all other files. (And if you want to try them anyway: do NOT use the sky colors: they aren't compatible with P3D!)

Jeroen,

You can still use your favorite cloud and sky textures with ASCA. Just go into the "Settings" and deselect the "Sky Colors" ,"Cloud Textures" and "Cloud Structures". ASCA will then use whatever you have installed as replacement and you can get the Full Dynamics weather and cloud updates. Works for me as I use REX Soft clouds.

Lyn

I took the plunge and upgraded from ASN to AS16. Only one flight done, but it was enjoyable. At least similar performance as ASN, maybe even better. Early days, but not buyers regret so far.

Jeroen,

You can still use your favorite cloud and sky textures with ASCA. Just go into the "Settings" and deselect the "Sky Colors" ,"Cloud Textures" and "Cloud Structures". ASCA will then use whatever you have installed as replacement and you can get the Full Dynamics weather and cloud updates. Works for me as I use REX Soft clouds.

Lyn

Not quite. Or just wrong, really.  :wink: If you deselect all you say in ASCA you are in fact disabling all it offers and you will simply be using the textures you install into the sim. The Full Dynamics option will do completely nothing because it has nothing to play with. ASCA can only play with ASCA textures. So if I install HDEv2 and Navid's Sky Set and then disable the mentioned options in ASCA, all I will see in the sim is HDEv2 and Navid's Sky Set... ASCA won't do anything at all. You might as well uninstall it. The dynamic weather comes from AS16 completely and has nothing to do with ASCA. And clouds won't be 'updated' because all there is, is (in my case) HDEv2. ASCA won't dynamically use other textures (like HDE or REX or whatever).

If you are doing what you said you are doing, you are simply using REX Soft Clouds and whatever sky texture you installed last. ASCA will not dynamically select various REX Soft Clouds textures: all you are seeing is REX Soft Clouds and ASCA is running for nothing in the background.  :wink: 

This btw sort of proves my idea that one cumulus01.bmp is sufficient to show you all kinds of clouds (like it has done for decades) and most people won't even notice the difference between various cloud sets. I think the main obvious change that ASCA brings are the sky colors. And I don't like most of them.

So if I get AS16, it will not dynamically load my REX cloud textures?

spacer.png

No it will use the static REX cloud set you have chosen, as ASN would do it.

On my side, I really enjoy AS16 / ASCA combo, mainly because it offers a permanent change of cloud types and structures along your flight - with smooth transition -, as mother nature does. Diversity is the key word for me :smile:

I can report also a great performance enhancement vs ASN. I'm using now 5 cloud layers instead of 3 with ASN, and push the cloud density in P3D to the maximum now with quite a lower GPU load.

But like many others, I don't use ASCA sky textures but those from http://navidh.se which are really great.

Roland

MSFS my local airport release: LFOR Chartres-Metropole

MSFS Plugins RAAS (registered FSUIPC7 required)

MSFS FX for Objects & Landmark in France (Steam and smoke) and Aerial coverage for French nuclear sites

On my side, I really enjoy AS16 / ASCA combo, mainly because it offers a permanent change of cloud types and structures along your flight - with smooth transition -, as mother nature does. Diversity is the key word for me :smile:

But like many others, I don't use ASCA sky textures but those from http://navidh.se which are really great.

Dude you are contradicting yourself, which is it brother?

spacer.png

So if I get AS16, it will not dynamically load my REX cloud textures?

It will use your REX cloud textures, yes, and create all kinds of cloudscapes with it. Just like it did the last decade. But it won't dynamically load different REX cloud texture sets. But as I said, I wonder if anyone actually notices different ASCA cloudsets being loaded: the diversity you can accomplish with one set is pretty great.

Dude you are contradicting yourself, which is it brother?

He's not contradicting himself, you're just not comprehending what he's saying.  He's prefers AS16 / ASCA combo, but chooses not to allow the latter to control his sky textures ONLY.  

Matt King

He's not contradicting himself, you're just not comprehending what he's saying.  He's prefers AS16 / ASCA combo, but chooses not to allow the latter to control his sky textures ONLY.  

Exactly,

Sorry, probably my bad english  :rolleyes:

Roland

MSFS my local airport release: LFOR Chartres-Metropole

MSFS Plugins RAAS (registered FSUIPC7 required)

MSFS FX for Objects & Landmark in France (Steam and smoke) and Aerial coverage for French nuclear sites