Sign in to follow this  
aatd

Computer Upgrade Advice? (FSX box)

I am using a dedicated computer to run fsx/acceleration (box), with ORBX and a number of saitek devices.

My current configuration is described below. I'll preface by noting that I am NOT particularly tech savvy, but am seeking advice on which component(s) would make the most sense to upgrade in order to realize improved fsx performance.

Thank you,
Brian

Windows 7

CPU: Intel i5-2500k 3.3 GHz

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67

Graphics Card: HIS Radeon HD6870

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 2x4GB

Power Supply: Corsair VX550

Disks: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB

Case: Lian-Li PCK-62

Monitor(s): 2 of: ASUS VH238H 23"

I would say an Nvidia card.

Joel Pacheco

X-plane 11.5, i7 4790k OC 4.8GHz (1.330V) - Nvidia GTX 1080ti - Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 - Corsair Hydro Series H115i - Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 - Samsung 860 EVO SSD 500Gb  - Windows 10 Pro - HP Reverb G2 

Also consider overclocking your CPU. For just the cost of a decent cooler you should easily get over 4GHz (maybe 4.5GHz) which would give you a significant performance boost. See http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/07/how-to-overclock-the-intel-core-i5-2500k/1.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Thank you Vortex.  I had wondered about overclocking, but given my lack of tech knowledge, didn't know if it a practicable alternative.

Do you have any suggestions on what I should direct a service tech to do if I bring it into a shop for this?  I don't want to be taken for a ride,

Regards,

Brian

Thank you Vortex. I had wondered about overclocking, but given my lack of tech knowledge, didn't know if it a practicable alternative.

Do you have any suggestions on what I should direct a service tech to do if I bring it into a shop for this? I don't want to be taken for a ride,

Regards,

Brian

It's not too difficult to overclock yourself. In the link I posted there's a page specifically for your motherboard. It has automatic overclocking options built into the BIOS which, whilst they might not reach the full potential of your CPU, should give you a reasonable boost. If you have any problems you can always select the default settings in the BIOS to return to a normal, working setup. It's important to have a good cooler and to monitor the CPU temperature throughout.

If you decide not to try it yourself, I would make sure that your service tech is familiar with overclocking and you should be OK. Again, to be safe you should make sure you have (or he installs) a good cooler to keep the temps under control - anything that came with the CPU originally will almost certainly not do the job.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Thanks Joel,

Any advice on which model?

Brian

GTX 1060, (or 1050 depending on your budget)

Bert

Thank you Bert.

I'm not really proficient in tech, so I am wondering if you know of a suitable model/version 1060?  When I looked online, I found a wide array of models varying quite a bit in price, I assume based on brand, memory and speed -- but don't know which fit-out is best suited for fsx?

Brian

I should probably provide additional information on my setup.  It includes Orbx North America, Global FTX and Vector.  Also, the following Saitek devices:

Proflight yoke and throttle

Proflight cessna trim wheel

Proflight rudder pedals

Radios: (2 of)

Multi panel

Switch panel

Flight instrument panels (FIPs):  (8 of)

I don't know if this info matters, but I assume they place a demand on system resources.

Thanks,

Brian

Thank you Bert.

I'm not really proficient in tech, so I am wondering if you know of a suitable model/version 1060?  When I looked online, I found a wide array of models varying quite a bit in price, I assume based on brand, memory and speed -- but don't know which fit-out is best suited for fsx?

Brian

Pick a brand you like... EVGA, Asus, MSI are all good brands.

Not sure the specs matter that much.. sometimes you get a better price on

one than the other..

Bert

CPU: Intel i5-2500k 3.3 GHz

Overclock this to 4.6 ghz easily, that's why you bought a K series chip, isn't it ?

Graphics Card: HIS Radeon HD6870

Get rid of this and buy a good Nvidia card that fits your budget.

A question about a new 1060 card:  is the following sufficient, or is there a further benefit to increase it's memory and/or speed -- to what?

Description:  Bus Interface: PCIe 3.0 x16, Max Memory Size: 6144 MB, Core Clock(s): 1708 MHz, Memory Clock(s): 2002 MHz, Graphics API Support: DirectX 12.0 OpenGL 4.5 Max TDP: 120 W

Thanks,

Brian

Ok, I'm heading out tomorrow to get a 1060 graphics card.  Here in Canada, everything costs more (much) but I'm willing to spend it if there is a benefit to my setup.  Unless otherwise advised, I'll go with 3GB (versus 6GB) of memory, and 1,53/1,73 GHz (boost) clock.  Is there a benefit to faster?

I'll also be overclocking the i5 2500k to somewhere in the 4,x range (with a new cooler),

Thanks everyone,

Brian

I think you'll be happy with the result.. let us know the outcome!

Bert