Sign in to follow this  
scott967

Aircraft main gear hovering slighting above the surface

Guest Les Parson

Could someone please be so kind as to refresh my memory on how to correct the problem of main gear resting a few inches above the surface. This is an aircraft.cfg modification that I cannot recall.Many thanks.

It's in the (contact_points) section of the aircraft.cfg.You will find it normally in the lines labeled point.1 and point.2.The fourth value in the list is the vertical position in feet, and both will be the same.Make both values more negative and it should work. Otherwise, make them less negative. That's the way I do it because I never remember the correct way. Sorry.Before checking your results, be sure to shut down and restart FS so it will have to reload the revised .cfg file. Alternately, you can select a different aircraft in the "Create a flight" window and click OK. Then reselect the aircraft in question, click OK and Fly Now and see what it looks like.Let us know if you get it to work.Regards,JerryH

Slightly off topic, but can anyone explain the relationahip between contact points and the the static_pitch and static_cg_height entries in the contact points section of the aircraft.cfg file. There is one but when developing my own aircraft I find the whole relationship here is a matter of trail and error.

Guest Milton

The static pitch and CG_height are used to initially position the aircraft at its location or when moving about in Slew mode. These settings need to be close to the normal set of the aircraft to ease the transition from slew or positioning to normal operations.

Yes, that's the theory but I've never but able to relate static-pitch and static cg_height other than by trial and error. Very small changes in their values have a majort effect on the aircraft.Anyway, surely FS should be able to calculate their values from the contact points?

Guest Milton

As a designer/modeler, it is a simple task to measure the CG_height distances in the design program and use that as a very close starting point from which to tweak.Tweak? Yes, due to animated suspension, static compression rates, aircraft weights and distribution, and other variables that come into play. Setting contact points is time consuming to get gear looking and responding correctly sitting static or as lift is created during takeoff. It's not for the passing enthusiast but can be done logically and methodically.Once I have these things correct, then I do thew final adjustments for static pitch and height to minimize change coming out of slew to run mode. It's not just theory but what we practice with every model designed.

Actually to save trial and error time before editing aircraft.cfg load a different aircraft. Then edit you contact points in the aircraft you are working on. When you are done reselect the aircraft you are working on and it should load using the modified aircraft.cfg.You do not have to leave your selected flight to do this nor restart FS. From your panel view just hit the alt key and choose the aircraft menu dropdown to switch your aircraft types.I do this and it saves a lot of time when modifying aircraft.

There is a comment by Pete Dowson in his release notes for the 3.507 beta release release of FSUIPC of ground altitude reporting error in slew mode. I do not recall which is which but in I believe slew altitude is reported from the ground contact/surface level and in non-slew it is reported from the central datatum level where the vertical contact points are described.I did not note any reference to the appearance in spot view when in slew so I would not use spot view in slew mode to test the contact point adjustments.Just a loosely related FYI which I hope I have interpreted correctly.Edit: Milton, I just noted your post and perhaps this is another way of stating the same thing.

Thanks for the lively discussion on an interesting topic, but the original question has now been lost.I would like to find out how Les is doing with his contact points.Best regards,JerryH

Guest Milton

Jerry, I thought that your answer addressed the question just fine. :-)Milton

Guest Les Parson

Thanks for inquiring. I have not yet solved the issue as of yet. This is occurring with the DF A36 Tip Tank version. The standard DF A36 is just fine. I tried copying the aircraft.cfg contact section of the standard A36 version for the TT version, but it still has not corrected the problem?

Guest allcott

Probably becasue the fuel load is different, but they didn't change the contact points. Take the extra fuel out and I bet things return to normal.Allcott

Using aircraft Container Manager, you can first visually set the model in relation to ground to determine static CG and pitch. Then you can adjust the wheel and scrape contact points to suit. In practice, it seems you have to experiment to get proper taxi behviour. Just lining up the contact points with the visual model wheels doesn't always work.scott s..