Sign in to follow this  
JWMuller

FSX Steam Edition Scenery, Planes and Airports

Hi Guys,

Could you tell me how the default FSX SE is?

Im getting confused, many video on Youtube show FSX SE with ultra graphics, moving workers in the airport and ads on jetways like HSBC and so on. It really looks like real life. 

The question is, 

Is it really like that when you get it?? :smile: 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

no, u need addons. mostly payware. for that u might as well go for p3d

no, u need addons. mostly payware. for that u might as well go for p3d

But P3D doesn't have moving figures and all the airport add-ons by default so you'd still have to buy them in addition to the cost of P3D which is significant. If you buy FSX:SE in a Steam sale you're only really paying for the cost of the add-ons (plus a small amount for SE).

• Upvote 1

Hi Guys,

Could you tell me how the default FSX SE is?

Im getting confused, many video on Youtube show FSX SE with ultra graphics, moving workers in the airport and ads on jetways like HSBC and so on. It really looks like real life. 

The question is, 

Is it really like that when you get it?? :smile: 

IMHO an FSX Steam edition clean install, (no boxed edition!) works like a charm. I let it install in Program Files(x86) and have 0 problems. In fact the vast usage is reduced which is a great benefit, again IMHO. When you do a clean install, and you can install in the root of C:, all folders are named FSX, NOT FSX-SE.  Having folders named FSX seems to help with addon's finding the correct folders for installations etc. I run Aivlasoft's Electronic flight bag on 2 computers running Win 10 64 bit, 0 problems. I also use Rex soft clouds and ASN. I understand Valve/steam/dovetail?, ran the original source code thru a newer compiler and optimized it some? Whatever they did do worked well and the result is a much smoother and more FPS on my machine.

Next addon I think will be GSX, it runs outside of FSX an so it has a minimal effect on FSX performance I'm told. Of course I'm waiting for PMDG's 747-400. Hope I live long enough to get it!

Baldy

Remember, FSX:SE is the same as FSX & Accelleration and has been slightly modded by Dovetail so that it works better on newer PC's. Development has been frozen.

P3D is build on the original ESP version of FSX. ESP was the professional version. P3D has ongoing development, & has probably been modded/upgraded about 8-10 times now, as compared to FSX that has Accelleration & the mod from DTG.

A quick look on the Prepar3d site will tell ypu what has been modded.

Remember, FSX:SE is the same as FSX & Accelleration and has been slightly modded by Dovetail so that it works better on newer PC's. Development has been frozen.

P3D is build on the original ESP version of FSX. ESP was the professional version. P3D has ongoing development, & has probably been modded/upgraded about 8-10 times now, as compared to FSX that has Accelleration & the mod from DTG.

A quick look on the Prepar3d site will tell ypu what has been modded.

I have been told that my machine is sub standard in a relative sense. It's not that bad IMHO. It's a first Gen. Sabertooth Mobo, w/ Asus 390 4 GB Stricke video card.  I know Intel's chips are better in the IPC department etc. Installed GSX and again, no, 0 problems. Frames may dip to 28 at busy airports but are as smooth as butter. FSX still runs better and with better frames than ever. If you can or want to invest in a more expensive proposition you can do it with Prepare3D, I could if I needed or wanted to but at this point I don't have the hours to do so. And by the way, the frames also peak out at 40 FPS, even at busy airports.

Dovetail claims to be  releasing a new 64 bit Flight simulator. I'm almost certain their spokesmen/ woman Ami said it would be based on FSX's engine and core.  Could it be that being a 64 bit development is considered a different animal than development of the 32 bit FSX?  Will P3D cost go up with the introduction of a 64 bit version? Will you have to buy a new one? If a 64 bit version is eminent, why buy the 32 bit version now? Actually I have no issues with the 32 bit FSX but 64 bits would certainly make a big difference. Particularly if it's engine would utilize more CPU cores etc. Many people cannot afford a high price sim.

Good luck!

BaldyB

Yes, consider a 64bit sim totally different & new, as compared to the existing 32bit sims, & therefore, expect to pay for it, as well as paying for 64bit add-ons. Current 32bit add-ons will probably not be compatible with a new 64bit sim. In any case, what is the point of adding a 32bit add-on that is not optimised for 64bits. Putting an old add-on into a new 64bit sim & expecting great results? Nah! (If you have Office 2013, obviously, if you want a newer version, you would be expected to pay for it!)

Costs? Who knows!

Why buy a 32bit sim? Why not? Why wait for some future unpublished date if you want to enjoy simming now?

Many people CAN afford a high price sim, by the way. Some are happy with what they have, with all their add-ons. Others are still looking for the holy grail in simming.

Also, bear in mind, that we all have very different PC's, so our results will be very different.

Yes, Dovetail's new sim, as well as P3D's, are based on FSX's basic core.

How do you get this addon for FSX SE?? :help:

Wait, when you get P3D dont you get it with ultra relism like people moveing about, ultra high graphics and so on??!!

Help! :help:

No, you get an avatar that you can move around. Have a look at the Prepar3d site for more advanages & mods of P3D.