Sign in to follow this  
Vinny002

DC-6 and X-plane11

Hello,

I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me out. I have had this plane for about three weeks. So far the best I have been able to do is to sit there with the engines running. I have an early 2009 Mac Pro. Something is preventing the PMDG plug-in from being recognized. In the various forms, I see where others have had similar problems and I have tried what seems to have worked for them but no luck so far. Customer service has made some suggestions as well.

I have an SSD drive installed in one of my bays, which I was planning to dedicate to X-Plane if necessary. Last week I removed X-Plane 10 from it, download the X-Plane 11 demo to it and ran the PMDG installer. The installer thinks it successfully installed it however no files show up on that disk. So I drug the folder from another disk into the X-Plane 11 folder, started up X-Plane 11, selected the DC 6, same result. No request to activate the aircraft, no plug-ins show up, other than the engines running and the ailerons respond, pretty much dead.

Not willing to give up on this, hopefully there's a simple solution that's being overlooked.

Thanks,

Bob Senecal

Hello Bob:

you said that you have a Mac Pro.. the question is: do you run Windows on that machine?

If you read the license from PMDG you will find that their program runs on Windows ONLY!!!

For me that was a reason to install X-Plane also under Windows, as I only had it running under Linux until that excellent plane was published by PMDG.

If you have Windows however, you might want to clean up the registry before re-installing the plane. 

I made several installations with success and never was asked for a key except the first time. So I assume that the product key is stored somewhere for the DC-6 to find.

Are you able to load the plane after your "secret" installation? If so, does it have the tool bar on the left side of the screen (you need that to get rid of the ground equipment for instance). Does the steering move the front whee? But  not rudder, elevator or ailerons? If that is the case you have to unlock the gust  lock in the cockpit (see manual). It is easy to forget and I had that problem too...

I hope that this can help to put you on the right track to finding a solution. Good luck and success!

Juergen Vollmer

Juergen Vollmer

Flight sim enthusiast and real life pilot

If you read the license from PMDG you will find that their program runs on Windows ONLY!!!

We have a Mac version as well, actually, but it will only run on a Mac.

Kyle Rodgers

We have a Mac version as well, actually, but it will only run on a Mac.

Our friend Bob has a Mac apparently, but perhaps he tries to install the Windows version of the plane..... :wink:

Juergen Vollmer

Thanks guys are putting on your thinking caps.

I purchased the Mac version, I assume that it would not install at all if it wasn't.

I do not have Windows installed and I'm not even sure about boot camp.

X-Plane ver 10.51r2  OSX 10.11.6

Plugin is not getting installed. No menu on side.

My install disc is 10.25r1 and requires update from web.

I have nothing in-between. Since it seems to function for the most part in Xplane 11,for others, I hoped installing

that would help troubleshoot the issue. Not so far.

I was supposed to be on a US Navy flight that went down in Chile in 1978. Hoping to get this flying and a livery made of that Aircraft.

Thanks again,

Bob Senecal

Hi Bob, sorry to hear that, but unfortunately I know NOTHING about the Mac and OSX and I do hope that others will jump in with their good advice to get you up in the (virtual) air....

It seems that fate was on your side in 1978, so there is hope for this tiny little issue, I guess  :wink:

Juergen Vollmer

P.S.

I do not know if your OSX version is anything like "Sierra", but ther seem to be problems with that OS and people talk about that here:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/105551-xplane-10-on-mac-os-sierra/

Juergen Vollmer

Can someone advise the correct procedure to install the DC6 into Xpalne11. My install doesn't work correctly

Issues:

1) No AFE

2) Mouse on instrument knobs activates the turn arrows but doesn't activate the actual movement

3) Flight controls, via joystick, don't move but the steering tiller does move.

4) Throttles wont move and cant release the control lock

What have I done wrong!!??

Wingedworrier

X-Plane 11 is still in beta, right?

Wingedworrier

Full names on all posts in the PMDG forums please. 

Read up a few posts for instructions in this thread.

Dan Downs KCRP

OK,

The reason I bring up X-Plane 11 is that we are all using the same version. Realizing it is still a beta version if it works on one system it should work on all. At least if it doesn't, it eliminates (in my opinion) the variables introduced by having different versions of X-Plane 10 with all of the different modifications that could have been made.

This morning I tried again to install on the SSD drive. Installer says it was installed successfully, but no files are found on the drive. I attempted this five or six times to see if the free space on the drive would be reduced and it was not. I then copied the PMDG folder from another drive into the aircraft folder on X-Plane 11 and started the program. It basically performs as in X-Plane 10, which is basically the same as the post above except the yoke does not move but the wheel to the left of it does, nose wheel turns but rudder does not. Panel is dark, but GPS is illuminated and one or two buttons respond.

Could someone explain how the folders/files in a properly functioning Mac version would look like as far as the plug-ins are concerned? In X-Plane 10 it seems that at least most of the plug-ins I have installed have their own folder contained in a resources folder but that may not always be the case.

Is there any other information I can provide that would be of any help?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi, 

I'm about to buy this wonderful product but i have a small concern. I know it is not officially compatible with XP11 but will be, however i would like to know if it will be fully featured for XP11 (eg. reflections and sounds) for free or it will require a extent package acquisition.

Thanks in advance

Willian

Hello gentlemen:

Following this thread I wold like to add my 2cts, as I had similar problems.

First off, if the rudder does not move but the front wheel does, you probably have not taken off the GUST LOCK (see manual for details).

As I also had no instruments and no tool bar to the left of the screen I used a trick to install the plane into XP11:

the installer only offfered repair or de-installation, so here is what I did: I renamed my XP10 folder and named the new XP11 folder "X-Plane 10", then did the repair installation and renamed the folder back to "X-Plane 11 (and the XP10 also back to its original name).

O wonder, it all worked perfectly after that little magic trick.

So why not give it a try and I do hope your problems will be solved. Don´t forget the gust lock though.... :wink:

Cheers

Juergen Vollmer

Juergen Vollmer

Well reformated SSD and did a fresh install of El Capitan,X-plane 10 and installed DC6. All seems fine.

My intent was to run X-plane from this drive anyway. After seeing this a/c I think maybe it deserves this drive to itself and maybe a few other high-end planes.This is not one to jump in and go for a quick spin.

Even before reformatting the SSD had no X-Plane related files on it but there was something that was interfering.

I won't do anymore than add scenery,for awhile anyway.

Thanks,

Bob Senecal

Hello everybody,

can anybody tell me if there will be a native X-Plane 11 Version of the Cloudmaster DC-6 ? I am really looking forward buying that beautiful plane, but I don't want to spend money twice in case there will be a native X-Plane 11 Version of the DC-6 (V2.0) in a few weeks. So should I wait and see what happens or can I go straight forward buying the current version and being able to upgrade in the future ?

Thanks for replys in advance !

• Upvote 1

AFAIK when XP11 goes into an actual release and out of public beta then PMDG and most other x plane developers will release compatibility updates.

I copied my DC-6 install over from XP10 to XP11 and fired it up, didn't spend a whole lot of time with it but I did notice that the cockpit lighting wasn't working.