Sign in to follow this  
FLAPS15

Licence Change Advice

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to ask please, I am currently using a one month subscription to test P3D....works very well!.....and will need to upgrde to the Academic Licence once this expires.

I have installed Orbx UT2 AS Airbus ASN,  these for testing reasons...my system is well behind...i72600 oc 970 GC...but I get great performance. Not quite sure if I will go for it yet...like it a lot but I would like to see what Xplane 11 has to offer too as it is about to release...

So do I have to unistall everything and start all over again...would you recommend this? or just uninstall P3D and place the new version in the same named folder so the EXE/DLL files work.

Appreciate your views....

Thanks

Mark

Anyone! please,

just want to know can I purchase an Academic Licence and when it asks for the password number etc put that in and all continues....as per the prepaid. I apprecciate they are different licences but the software is the same so i understand

Many Thanks 

The monthly subscription plan is only available for developer licenses. There is no developer's "Academic" license, only "Professional / Plus". So, what you are planning to do is actually a downgrade of the product license.

IMHO you should ask Lockheed Martin directly before proceeding.

LORBY-SI

I had the monthly subscription when I first started using P3D. When I went to the Academic, I had to completely  uninstall the monthly and then install the Academic. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

The monthly subscription plan is only available for developer licenses. There is no developer's "Academic" license, only "Professional / Plus". So, what you are planning to do is actually a downgrade of the product license.

IMHO you should ask Lockheed Martin directly before proceeding.

No need for all that. Simply end the current subscription and buy the academic license. Simple as that. No need to make this more complicated than it is. After buying the academic license, see if you can activate your current P3D install with that license info: maybe you don't have to reinstall anything. If you do, try to reinstall into the exact same folder (leaving everything the addons left behind in place. The addons won't know you changed license: it's all the same to them.

Thanks Bobsk8,

Had a feeling I would have too....thank you for clarifying....

All the Best

Mark

I had the monthly subscription when I first started using P3D. When I went to the Academic, I had to completely  uninstall the monthly and then install the Academic. 

Ah, ok, in that case the OP might try to uninstall P3D, let the P3D folder where it is (it probably will contain various folders with stuff the addons installed into it) and then reinstall the academic licensed version into that very same folder. I have to add though that if you don't have many addons installed (like the OP has) you might as well start completely all over.

Thanks also J Van E...will try that....have not heard anyone else doing it but it just may work! given all I am doing is changing licence..

If it is successful will let all know...

All the Best

Mark

Just to say all,

Heard back from LM, unfortunately all licences require there own product download....so no can do re just swap the licence....trust it is basically the Academic is the same software as the one month prepaid I have now as it runs so well... 

Next dilemma....buy it and they release version 4 a week later!!!!!....

that's life!

Mark

No need for all that. Simply end the current subscription and buy the academic license. Simple as that. No need to make this more complicated than it is. After buying the academic license, see if you can activate your current P3D install with that license info: maybe you don't have to reinstall anything. If you do, try to reinstall into the exact same folder (leaving everything the addons left behind in place. The addons won't know you changed license: it's all the same to them.

That isn't true, if you contact LM, they will tell you that you have to uninstall the subscription version and then install Academic. How do I know, because that is what they told me to do. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Bob and JvE have it covered. I think you'll need to deinstall the current one and install the new one. The deinstall doesn't remove everything but the install will freshen all the files so any scenery that exchanges files or similar will stop working only needing to reinstall those and they generally pick up your registration and setup from having already been installed anyway. Most aircraft setups should continue OK.

As far as 4 is concerned it would install alongside 3.x so can be migrated to as things progress. If 4.0 arrives embrace it as and when funds and needs allow but in the meantime get on with 3 and have a blast.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I find myself in a similar position (because VRS TacPack is only available for Academic licenses). I am curious if we could do client only uninstall/reinstall to move from pro to academic. Did anyone happen to ask LM if that was possible?

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)