Sign in to follow this  
bursco

Flying the helos

Guest SJDickson

The release of Jordan Moore's Bell 412 prompted me to learn how to fly the helicopters in FS2004. I've spent the last several days training with the Owen Hewitt's excellent Bell 206B and have made good progress so far. However, my main issue now is that I almost invariably find myself drifting backwards when trying to enter into or maintain a hover. This is because I'm not able to judge my attitude and tell whether I'm slightly nose up or nose down. I just naturally pull the nose slightly up which causes me to drift backwards.Does anyone have any tips on how to accurately judge attitude in the helos? Any pointers would be much appreciated.Thanks.

Guest Calb

In all probability, you are trying to hover too high.Visit: http://members.shaw.ca/hoversafe/Hoversafe.htmand download the FS2002 lessons. They are a self-teaching set of lessons structured similar to what you'd encounter in the real world. If you're serious and are up to some serious & dedicated practise, they will probably help. As you'll see, they're not a "fast track" method.Hope it helps.Cal (CYXX)

Guest SJDickson

D'oh! I had reduced the sensitivity settings of my controllers for another plane and forgotten about it. The HoverSafe site stresses the importance of controller sensitivity so I went back and checked and, sure enough, the recommended settings make hovering and flying the helos much easier.Thanks Cal!

What I have done is made a plane.cfg and a helo.cfg file for FS9 - they both load in the settings u want and also the model u want to fly. I also have cfgs for "no traffic", "Voxatc" and more because of different settings etc.Go to hovercontrol site and on the left hand side look for message forums - go there - scroll down and open the DODOSim forum. Inside you will see a topic on Multiple cfgs. I sent you there because if u get addicted to the Bell 206 - this is where u can read all about the realstart 206 - which is brilliant. I have done my cfgs a different way but all varations are as good. :) :) enjoy the helo flying. Join hovercontrol - its very helpful.