Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Help with RAM upgrade

Last year I tried to buy another 8 GB stick for my sandy bridge system. It was the same exact stick I bought off newegg 5 years ago - except it wasn't and kept BSOD my PC.

I bought BF1 last night and boy does it stutter - apparently 8 GB is the minimum.

So I went to look for the QVL ram list for my P67A UD4 B3 (gigabyte) board, and none of the pairs showed 8 or 16 GB.

Does my board support 8x2? And should I buy 2133 MHz? I have 1866 now with a mild 4 Ghz overclock. Or should I get 1600 MHz? Does CAS stil matter?

Any help appreciated!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

So at present you only have one stick Ryan?

If so, you are running single channel. Sandybrige is duel channel, hence DDR.

You should always have had two sticks not one. Or four.

Running single channel on a duel channel board would certainly compromise performance.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3759#sp

Your board can take up to 32 GB according to the link.

2133 MHz is also supported.

When you buy your second stick, make sure you install it in the right slot, so it works duel channel. See your MB manual.

1. 4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32 GB of system memory
    * Due to Windows 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than 4 GB.
  2. Dual channel memory architecture
  3. Support for DDR3 2133/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules
  4. Support for non-ECC memory modules
  5. Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules

Sorry for not being clear

I have 2x4 GB right now

What I'm really wondering is 2133 worth it? Does it even make a difference on 5 yr old equipment?

I'm looking at this : https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019HVNT3C/ref=pd_gwm_simh_1?pf_rd_p=1c5f02ae-183e-4906-990b-5a293310a66c&pf_rd_s=blackjack-personal-1&pf_rd_t=Gateway&pf_rd_i=mobile&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=2FMZBSZZP99KA0Z6PZGP

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Oh right, sorry, I misunderstood.

What I'm really wondering is 2133 worth it? Does it even make a difference on 5 yr old equipment?

Seriously doubt it to be honest. Doubt it will make any appreciable difference, especially in BF1. BF1 is a modern, highly demanding game, I'm not surprised you found it a bit stuttery. It's a case of lowering the settings I'm afraid.

Plus, games these days are dependant on the graphics card way more than the CPU, so perhaps that's where you should also look for an answer.

I'm doing fine with my 6700K, 980ti and 16 Gb DDR4 3200 MHz, everything on ultra in BF4 and Elite Dangerous and high frame rate. Have pre ordered Call of Duty Infinite Warfare, will be interesting to see how I get on with that.

What do you think of BF1? I'm on the fence whether to get it.

It's definitely the RAM.  I checked task man last night and it was just below 8GB hehe (total).  No software has ever done that yet - even XP10 on extended DSF's.

The demo ram super smooth so I don't know what happened - but I run it on low and it's a little choppy.  I think it's just paging I'm not sure.

I'll probably just get the ram from amazon and return if it doesn't work.

As for the game itself - it's decent.  I think I prefer BF4 though.  If I could get it smoother it would be better.  I have a tough time shooting people because of the choppiness.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Sorry for not being clear

I have 2x4 GB right now

I'm looking at this : https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019HVNT3C/ref=pd_gwm_simh_1?pf_rd_p=1c5f02ae-183e-4906-990b-5a293310a66c&pf_rd_s=blackjack-personal-1&pf_rd_t=Gateway&pf_rd_i=mobile&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=2FMZBSZZP99KA0Z6PZGP

It does not make any significant difference whatsoever in real world benchmarks (meaning not synthetic specifically designed to measure ram speed...) so no, don't waste your money...

It's definitely the RAM.  I checked task man last night and it was just below 8GB hehe (total).  No software has ever done that yet - even XP10 on extended DSF's.

Rubber banding and high RAM usage was an issue in the beta apparently. RAM usage increased significantly during play. 

Apparently there was a memory leak issue... maybe it's still an issue?

Maybe.  From looking at the BF boards people with lower systems than mine, but who have 16 GB, are getting great performance.

So maybe I should just get some slower 1600 mhz stuff

edit:  I just went for the 2133 stuff anyway... if it doesn't work, I'll return it.  The price difference was +/- 20 bucks for the different speeds.  Meh

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Both my kids are playing BF1 with 8GB RAM and getting very good performance with high settings. They have my hand down GTX680 and GTX780Ti cards and i5 CPU's, not overclocked. Thus not so sure that adding RAM is the answer.

Apparently a big BF1 update is due to launch today also. Might address some of your performance issues. Good luck.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor