Sign in to follow this  
jabloomf1230

Autogen polygon accuracy - Prepar3d.cfg

In my never ending quest to make P3d more inefficient, I stumbled across this thread:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/485840-autogen-question/?hl=%2Bimage+%2Bpixels+%2Bautogen#entry3395121

It discusses this entry in the cfg file:

[TERRAIN]
IMAGE_PIXELS_FOR_AUTOGEN_POLYGONS=16

The values range from 16 (80 m rasterization) to 2048 (0.5 m) and the default (at least for FSX) is 16. The entry controls how accurately autogen trees are placed  within a polygon, with the default value being the least accurate rasterization of the polygon. I only ran across this cfg entry while creating an airport for my own personal use. Even at 2048, the setting doesn't seem to impact performance (GTX 1080/ i7-6700k) and the trees follow the polygon boundaries much more closely. I spent some time yesterday flying the recently released Milviz Huey UH-1 and looking at the autogen. I was just wondering if anyone else had any experience in P3d with this setting.

• Upvote 2

Interesting, thanks for sharing Jay. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

In my never ending quest to make P3d more inefficient, I stumbled across this thread:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/485840-autogen-question/?hl=%2Bimage+%2Bpixels+%2Bautogen#entry3395121

It discusses this entry in the cfg file:

[TERRAIN]

The values range from 16 (80 m rasterization) to 2048 (0.5 m) and the default (at least for FSX) is 16. The entry controls how accurately autogen trees are placed  within a polygon, with the default value being the least accurate rasterization of the polygon. I only ran across this cfg entry while creating an airport for my own personal use. Even at 2048, the setting doesn't seem to impact performance (GTX 1080/ i7-6700k) and the trees follow the polygon boundaries much more closely. I spent some time yesterday flying the recently released Milviz Huey UH-1 and looking at the autogen. I was just wondering if anyone else had any experience in P3d with this setting.

Crikey Jay!!  What an absolute gem of a 'find'. Just tried it on my rig (at 2048) and, like you, found there to be no obvious performance impact whatsoever. The visual result in the sim though is truly remarkable! At last - treelines that accurately follow the curves in roads and bends in rivers as opposed to the old straight lines and angles of before. Long may you continue to inefficiently quest Sir.  :Applause:

I discovered this after having the Walking Trees of Dahomey creep onto the edge of my airport.

I discovered this after having the Walking Trees of Dahomey creep onto the edge of my airport.

This what the SDK exactly says in its technogibberish. I missed it...

Polyline vegetation is rasterized into a sampling bitmap. The granularity of the rasterization is determined by the following setting in the Prepar3D.cfg file: 

[TERRAIN]

The value of this setting is set at the minimum, 16, and can be any value up to 2048. The higher the number the more accurately a curved polygon will be rasterized. The value 16 indicates a rasterization of approximately 80 meters down to approximately 0.5 meter accuracy for the 2048 setting. There is a performance penalty with the time it takes to rasterize a region, and the memory required for the resulting sampling bitmap. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam