Sign in to follow this  
spesimen

a few notes

i'm really enjoying the cinematic mode!!! would love to see a few tweaks on it.

1. seems to almost always be looking kind of low under my aircraft, a bit more variety here could be cool, maybe some from directly above or below. with the current low views, a lot of times if i zoom to more than 1.0 the plane is completely off the top of the screen and is usually in the top third. this view is great for scenery! just would like to see a bit more variation here where sometimes it's directly at the plane or above it instead. 

2. on the ground might be nice if it could detect that you are clipping through the terrain, seems to happen a lot with lower zoom values like 0.3 or 0.4, which work best for centering the plane on screen.. maybe it could raise itself a bit higher if it detects the focal values <1.0.

3. i'd like to be able to override the cinema cam's current position by looking around with the mouse or hat..maybe after my input stops it could keep doing whatever translation or rotation it was already doing.. mainly if i see something interesting in the scenery it is inconvenient to exit cinema mode then go to an external cam and pan around to the same view.

4. would love to see some longer rotation shots around the plane that sweep 30 or 90 degrees or more

5. might be cool if it would occasionally use some of my external cams as starting points for it's own cinema views. for example i made some closeup external views behind the engines for example to show off the vibrations, etc, if those got in the mix every now and then it could be cool.

a few other things

1. would like to configure the menu pop-up delay. 200ms is too short for me i would prefer maybe 400ms or something, i end up accidentally triggering the menu more than i would like.

2. i'd like to be able to adjust the transition speed by category, so i can use a faster 250-350 in the cockpit but use some much slower 1000-2000ms for the external cams.

3. would like to assign a hotkey to go instantly to a specific cam no matter what, even if i am in cinema mode, mainly just for my primary flying view

4. is focal length meant to be ignored by the cam settings?maybe i just setup something wrong, it seems like it goes to the last used focal length rather than switching to the one i thought i had setup. i actually kind of like this current behavior but not sure if i'm understanding it fully.

5. when i assigned my hat switch i saw an error. after setting the up and down tilt, it complained when i tried to set it to panning (even though it was a different direction it seemed to think it was already assigned.) but then when i set it for panning i went back and set it for tilt again and it worked. i noticed something about hat switch assignment in the update notes so maybe you guys already covered that one.

overall i'm really impressed, it's fun to use, and very polished, doesn't seem like an alpha at all!

cheers,

-andy crosby

How do you use the cinematic mode, I can only look around with the sliders?

Thank you.

Aaron Tirrell

Hi Andy,

I'll make sure your post is the very last thing I read before going to sleep tonight.

I appreciate your report!

Keven

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

How do you use the cinematic mode, I can only look around with the sliders?

Thank you.

in control bindings page there is a 'toggle cinematic mode' entry. i set it to a hotkey but you could do a button or whatever you prefer. not sure if there's other ways to enable it.

that page is also where you can assign the hat switch for looking around, etc.

cheers,

-andy crosby

not sure if there's other ways to enable it.

There is a play button next to the camera modes to toggle it!

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Thank you both.

Set up a key for it, did not find the play button, but it is very cool, thank you.

I must experiment with it.

Aaron Tirrell

1. We have created the Cinematic Mode to be very versatile. Currently we only have basic functionality implemented. We will add more as we get closer to v1.0;
  2. We will check if ground collision is detectable and try to do something about it;
  3. Great idea, added to the list;
  4. Great idea, added to the list;
  5. We have something planned for that one;

The few other things:

1. type devdevdev in the preferences page and go in the Nerd Menu. Search for view_sel_delay and set the millisecond delay you want  :smile:  CAUTION: this panel has the potential to "brick" ChasePlane
  2. We've seen other requests for this one so we've added it to the list as well;
  3. If you hold CTRL in the Presets page, you can assign keys or buttons to specific presets;
  4. It will go to the preset value. If you load a preset and change the zoom, it will be marked as unsaved. If you reset the camera or reload the same preset, it will go back to the preset's setting. If you toggle from inside to outside directly, the zoom and other position data will be restored from where you left them;
  5. Yep, it's fixed!

Thanks for you fully-featured list of questions, suggestions and comments. Very nice to read this kind of feedback!

Keven

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42