Sign in to follow this  
JLSeagull

Is there a 'correct' focal distance?

I seem to recall this subject being discussed many moons ago but can't for the life of me remember where or what the conclusions were?  I know that it is down to individual preference but - now that we have this superb bit of kit in our hands to adjust these things properly do any of you have any suggestions as to the most realistic VC setting?

I guess this is highly subjective.

I like 0.5 best (with wide view aspect on). I like to go as low as possible to help with the distant blurries of P3D. But below 0.5 I start noticing a Fisheye effect.

I guess this is highly subjective.

I like 0.5 best (with wide view aspect on). I like to go as low as possible to help with the distant blurries of P3D. But below 0.5 I start noticing a Fisheye effect.

Interesting rationale for your settings Ralf but I personally find settings as low as that play havoc with my perception of speed and distance (especially when landing). I suppose that what I am asking is whether or not there is a level of zoom that represents (as realistically as possible in a 2D World), what a person would see in 'real life'? 

Judging speed and distance is a question of getting used to it. I also found it weird at first when I got from 1.0 to 0.5 but now it's just normal for me.

But yours is an interesting question.

Thanks for the link Johan.....  there could be a long evening ahead while I get to grips with Tom Gibson's explanations! :hi:

I found these YouTube videos helpful:

Based on them, I use Windescreen active and Zoom 1.0, at present. The zoom setting is indeed a very underrated one and can influence blurries, autogen popping, and fps (besides visual preception). I still don't get why LM didn't introduce a zoom slider into the UI so far. 

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Excellent and very informative videos Michael. Thank you.

Regards,