Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

FSX.exe P3d legacy-compatibility mode starts splash then disappears?

Running p3d v3.4.9.. had been all fine here even with fsx compatibility mode.. then today, i cant launch fsx.exe..

If only tileproxy didnt need this, i wouldnt even need to use the legacy mode / trick with fsx.exe, but i do.

I even went so far as to enable fsx mode via EMT (i had it working before with just the cfg files in the p3d roaming folder with the proper fsx.exe in the root of V, the one that is 4xx kb in size)..

Same deal.. i open fsx.exe and it shows the splash screen then boom, gone, exe gone too.

I tried renaming fsx.cfg to make it recreate, no joy.

Anyone else ran into and found a fix for this?

Worst case if i find a solution this will serve as a log of how i did it :)

Thanks in advance.. 

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

update:

I think the dll.xml found in the p3d v3 roaming folder was the culprit..

At one point though, i put all the entries from this one in the one in programdata.. somehow over a period of a month or so, some entries came back into the other dll..

one of these was causing the issue, guessing maybe the MCE one, but trial and error i should be able to isolate or just redo this again so all this live in the programdata one  (update, it does seem that the MCE one was the culprit)

**i still get the rampant fsx.exe crash on close.. often with multiplayer.dll too.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
  <Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
  <Disabled>False</Disabled>
  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Addon Manager</Name>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>bglmanx.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>ObjectFlow_P3D</Name>
    <Path>V:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\Scenery\ObjectFlow_P3D.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>ObjectFlow_CEF4_P3D</Name>
    <Path>V:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_CEF4\scenery\ObjectFlow_CEF4_P3D.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>ObjectFlow_KSFF_P3D</Name>
    <Path>V:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_KSFF\scenery\ObjectFlow_KSFF_P3D.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Multi Crew Experience</Name>
    <Path>fsInsider.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>as_connect</Name>
    <Path>as_srv\as_btstrp.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

The multiplayer.dll error I was getting and other crashes on close.. was also due to the entry in the dll.xml

<Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Multi Crew Experience</Name>
    <Path>fsInsider.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>

So moving them out of the roaming folder cured the lack of seeing the window or it crashing on startup, but moved the glitch i guess, to the end when you close the app.

Multi Crew Experience

False

False

fsInsider.dll

as_connect

False

as_srv\as_btstrp.dll

The above suggests you installed ASN after Multi Crew Experience.

It's possible for any of the dlls loading in the sim to cause FSX not to close properly. One possibility being, a "worker thread" created by the add-on, not shutting down in a timely manner (before FSX triggers the exit).

Here is how you can exclude MCE.

You don't need to un-install and re-install at all.

Simply go to \Prepar3D v3\ installation folder and rename "fsInsider.dll" to "No-fsInsider.dll". After that, it won't load, because "dll.xml" is referencing the wrong name.

No dlls in <MCE dlls> folder loads on its own. It's fsInsider.dll that decides which one should load at any given time, depending on detected supported aircraft.

The heavy part of MCE, including speech engine and audio, installs and runs completely outside the simulator process, inside "mce.exe". We did this for better stability of the sim, and to prevent speech engine eating FSX or P3D valuable VAS memory. Something that would happen if we ran it say in "fsInsider.dll" or via a gauge appended to aircraft panel.

Obviously can't run MCE while fsInsider.dll hasn't loaded in the sim, as it would be lacking situation awareness.

But that's a starting point for troubleshooting your issue.

Edit: If FSX is NOT closing down properly when fsInsider.dll isn't loaded, then it's someone else's (other dll) issue.