Sign in to follow this  
Keven Menard

[Explanations] WideViewAspect and Ideal zoom settings

I use Three screens, simple reality is that Wide Aspect -True causes screen stretching on the side monitors, but it is resolved with Wide Aspect - False, but less vertical view is the compromise

Now developing a program to resolve this and FSFX would make a fortune as it's constantly on the forums as a major issue with multiple screens which are now generally everywhere.

WideViewAspect doesn't cause stretching. The stretching is caused by the projection algorithm, which is the same regardless of the setting of WideViewAspect - you just need different zoom numbers to get the same image. In either case, when you zoom out too far you will see stretching at the peripheries (actually everywhere away from the centre, it's just worse at the peripheries. The stretching is the same in the vertical and horizontal directions, but as you are using very wide display you notice it in the horizontal direction - if you use a tall display (eg. a 21:9 monitor in portrait mode) you will instead notice it at the top and bottom).

The only ways to limit the stretching are to use a higher zoom setting or to use a smaller display. Actually these are the same thing - what you are really doing is limiting the field of view you are asking FSX/P3D to render; that's the real limiting factor. In principle you can keep stretching to a minimum on a three-screen wide display by using a very high zoom factor (small virtual field of view) but it will be useless. Imagine using a traditional 19" square monitor but masking it at the top and bottom to give a 5:1 aspect ratio. This is what you would see, except it would appear (relatively) gigantic. For a natural view you want the virtual field of view to be the same as the actual field of view. The virtual field of view is analagous to the focal length of a camera lens - too small a focal length (wide virtual FOV) and you will see stretching at the edges.

Your second point - fixing this problem - is optimistic. As far as I can tell there would be only two ways to do this. The first (proper) way would rely on Dovetail Games and/or Lockheed Martin re-writing the projection algorithm. Of course it's not clear what they would rewrite it to - the current algorithm, I am guessing, projects the 3D world onto a flat surface and this means it suffers stretching away from the centre. Perhaps they could redesign it to project onto a curved surface, but most of us don't have curved (or sufficiently-curved) displays so it would break things for most people. The second way to do this (people have done this, I think) is to post-process the projected image to warp it. You can experiment with how this would look for yourself if you have a graphics editing program with warping filters. I use Adobe Premiere Elements to edit my videos and I sometimes use the 'Camera Distortion' filter to unwarp my GoPro videos. The trouble with this method for FSX/P3D is (at least) twofold. First, it has to run in realtime, which would add yest another performance overhead. And second, a distortion filter will be stretching and squashing the image, which degrades its quality.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

If I understand well, the new version handles you prefered setting - wideview On/Off - in a way that you should not see any difference in the perceptual zoom.

If it works as supposed it's really great, and I can now enjoy the cinematic mode w/o Wideview.

On my side, I have had an issue with this new function yesterday evening (with wideview Off):

-> Each time the mouse tooltip appears on a VC object, a couple of second after the zoom goes out. So I disabled tooltips.

But I guess the experimental version of the day will solve it :smile:

EDIT not fixed on 0.1.564 

and issue occurs also when opening a window popup.

Roland

MSFS my local airport release: LFOR Chartres-Metropole

MSFS Plugins RAAS (registered FSUIPC7 required)

MSFS FX for Objects & Landmark in France (Steam and smoke) and Aerial coverage for French nuclear sites

I have stutters, appeared with the version 0.1.563, and still present with 564

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

I have still  wide view ... in p3d is disable(untick)  ... I have never use it ..I don't like it but now is still active regardless of the setting.

Without chaseplane

https://postimg.org/image/bj138vcl5/

after start chaseplane

https://postimg.org/image/txnf7tosn/

I tried fly with this ... randomly switch on this

https://postimg.org/image/ce8mh81p9/

https://postimg.org/image/anbhptsv7/

What simulator version (exact version) are you using?

I will have a look at the issue for that specific version.

If I understand well, the new version handles you prefered setting - wideview On/Off - in a way that you should not see any difference in the perceptual zoom.

If it works as supposed it's really great, and I can now enjoy the cinematic mode w/o Wideview.

On my side, I have had an issue with this new function yesterday evening (with wideview Off):

-> Each time the mouse tooltip appears on a VC object, a couple of second after the zoom goes out. So I disabled tooltips.

But I guess the experimental version of the day will solve it :smile:

Thank you for the information!

I have stutters, appeared with the version 0.1.563, and still present with 564

This has nothing to do with WideViewAspect and will not be answered here.

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

P3D latest version (3.4.18.19475)

but today ... I'm resaved my cameras .. (with zooming) Dash 8 too .. and problem does not repeat .... so far

Dang it, I also have that problem with wideview aspect. 

The experimental version from today screw something up. Disabling experimental and going for stable one fixes the problem. But hey... I want to use new features peacefully. Any idea how to prevent that?

When I go back to the stable version the view goes back to my desired one.

http://imgur.com/a/QtTOC

I use the newest version of P3D. 

Pawel Cichminski

Dang it, I also have that problem with wideview aspect. 

The experimental version from today screw something up. Disabling experimental and going for stable one fixes the problem. But hey... I want to use new features peacefully. Any idea how to prevent that?

When I go back to the stable version the view goes back to my desired one.

http://imgur.com/a/QtTOC

I use the newest version of P3D. 

Hi Pawel,

Is WideViewAspect enabled in your P3D settings?

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

No, I ticked it off. 

When I tried to repair that by enabling wideviewaspect it went even further to the back, like it blocked itself in that view and stuck. Stable version automatically brings all my views to the correct zoom position. 

Pawel Cichminski

No, I ticked it off. 

When I tried to repair that by enabling wideviewaspect it went even further to the back, like it blocked itself in that view and stuck. Stable version automatically brings all my views to the correct zoom position. 

What is the exact version of your P3D install?

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

that you should not see any difference in the perceptual zoom.

But I guess the experimental version of the day will solve it

Thank you for the information!

The last P3D v3 HF2 => 3.4.18.19475

Thanks

Roland

MSFS FX for Objects & Landmark in France (Steam and smoke) and Aerial coverage for French nuclear sites

Temporarily, Disable Advanced Features from CP's Preferences.

I am looking into the issue specifically with P3D 3.4.18.19475

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

I made a few changes in the latest build. Let me know if the issue persist.

Regards,

Keven

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Will do tonight, thanks a lot.

I'm just curious to understand how it's possible with WideView OFF that you can set a zoom which appears less than the 0.3 limit?

Hope you don't set wideview ON behind the scene :Tounge: (then my performance problem would come back)

Roland

Will do tonight, thanks a lot.

I'm just curious to understand how it's possible with WideView OFF that you can set a zoom which appears less than the 0.3 limit?

Hope you don't set wideview ON behind the scene :Tounge: (then my performance problem would come back)

We do not change it in the background. We only calculate and compensate for it.

Going below the 0.3 limit is just black magic!

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42