Sign in to follow this  
markadeane

747 BETA - A few shots!

To emphasize my last, just look at how far we've come.

Note the changes in the detail of the displays, the MCP, textures, lighting. and buttons.

...and of course, those are only the visual changes. There's a lot more under the hood as well.

Then:

vc_panel_night.jpg

Now:

PMDG_747v3_runway1.jpg

Also, I'm very surprised. I don't think anybody picked up on the new feature that was in this screenshot early last month. Anyone spot it?

PMDG_747v3_runway_fog2.jpg

• Upvote 2

Kyle Rodgers

Flight Sim PMDG pr0n at its best...!

New feature is the landing aid...

spacer.png

To those of you who haven't yet had the joy of flying the Queen, you're in for a treat, this is a different bird to the 777 and is a reflection of what the state-of-the-art was back when the 747-400 first flew. PMDG have done a great job of capturing many of the little quirks and idiosyncrasies of the airplane.

I'd love to hear more on this from you or a fellow tester. I am on the fence with the 747, primarily because my hangar already has a heavy, the 777. However, I remember during 777 beta testing and right after the actual release hearing things to the tune of "If you think the 777 is a bigger version of the NGX, it's not. It's entirely different and the fidelity will show you." I may be mistaken, but I know Froogle discussed this in a video and it's explicitly mentioned in the Intro manual (again, I think).

So, I will be paying close attention to the new features and - assuming beta testers are allowed to speak on the subject - I would love to hear how the 747 is different than the 777. I am longing for a complement to the NGX and 777. Perhaps a plane with older technology (thus, the CRT replication above for me is AWESOME). Or an a/c of different size/range etc. I am familiar with many of the 747-777 differences. But I'd love to hear what you actually notice when flying the two PMDG products. What do you notice? What catches you up? Where have you had the most trouble? What are the quirks or technologies that you find pretty cool (and different) following the NGX and 777? What are the kinds of things that remind you this plane was designed years before the 777, etc. In other words, I know it's a different plane. But how exactly is it different within the PMDG world?

Flight Sim PMDG pr0n at its best...!

New feature is the landing aid...

Is that the chevron bar on the glare wings of the Capt and FO? How do those work exactly?

Sorry if this has already been asked.

Will the Dash 8 be released at the same time as the base pack?

Thanks, Phil Tereny

Also, I'm very surprised. I don't think anybody picked up on the new feature that was in this screenshot early last month. Anyone spot it?

Don't know about the feature in this old shot, but it seems that cockpit geometry on the todays last shot is much better now, I would say it is now spot on as per real aircraft. Nice work gents! (I know, us nitpickers...)

Mauricio Brentano

So, I will be paying close attention to the new features and - assuming beta testers are allowed to speak on the subject - I would love to hear how the 747 is different than the 777. I am longing for a complement to the NGX and 777. Perhaps a plane with older technology (thus, the CRT replication above for me is AWESOME). Or an a/c of different size/range etc. I am familiar with many of the 747-777 differences. But I'd love to hear what you actually notice when flying the two PMDG products. What do you notice? What catches you up? Where have you had the most trouble? What are the quirks or technologies that you find pretty cool (and different) following the NGX and 777? What are the kinds of things that remind you this plane was designed years before the 777, etc. In other words, I know it's a different plane. But how exactly is it different within the PMDG world?

I might not be what you're looking for (sounds like the beginning to a personal ad...haha), but I'll throw my thoughts in:

The first thing you'll notice is that you're much higher up, as Mark mentioned, which does affect perspective, flare and so on. The other piece is that you'll also notice that it's rather cramped for a large flight deck, given the nature of the curvature of the upper deck. The overhead definitely isn't as clean as the 777. Fuel management is more of an art, given the override pumps on the inboard wing tanks. The old green CDUs are a blast from the past, and, given their "age" and "processing power" they run a little slower. The older style MCP (an option - picture 2 of my earlier post shows it, while pic 3 is the new LCD type) actually has a lovely (vaguely irritating) quirk in it that can make dialing numbers a little bit tougher than in the 737 and 777 (this is likely something you'll need to see in a video to understand. Engine starts offer a bit of variability, depending on what airline's SOP you wish to emulate: some start left 2/right 2, others outer/inner, and I believe KLM fires off all four GEs simultaneously. The number of options compared to the 777 and 737 is pretty staggering. Taxiing is a little odd to get the hang of (though 777 drivers will be a little more at home than 737 drivers). In the end, though, provided you don't do anything weird (like assume the APU will automatically take over when you turn it on after landing - no idea why I'd mention this specific mistake... :ph34r: ), you'll be fine and right at home.

I think, overall, it fits nicely in between the 737 and 777. It's slightly more automated and refined than the 737 (from a functionality/automation standpoint), but you don't ever hit the point of "this plane really doesn't need me here" like you do in the 777, given its much higher level of automation.  It also has a slightly different mission than the 777, and isn't subject to the ETOPS stuff of the actual twins (though there are still parts of it that will affect you, given that fire and other emergencies do require you to remain within a certain distance of a field).

That's just my take on it...then again, I also just love the 747...

Don't know about the feature in this old shot, but it seems that cockpit geometry on the todays last shot is much better now, I would say it is now spot on as per real aircraft. Nice work gents! (I know, us nitpickers...)

I know that some of the nitpicky stuff gets on my nerves from time to time, but hey...if it makes the product better in the end...

• Upvote 2

Kyle Rodgers

I have a question which might be unpopular with some.

How if the preformance compaired to the B777 in regards of VAS and fps ?.

Best regards

Peter Lund

Best regards

Peter Lund

I have a question which might be unpopular with some.

How if the preformance compaired to the B777 in regards of VAS and fps ?.

Best regards

Peter Lund

Scroll down to below the pictures:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/478765-25nov15-pmdg-747-400-queen-of-the-skies-ii-vc-preview/page-1

This may have changed slightly since then, but it's a good idea. I believe there may be another post out there with VAS in it...I may be making that up though...I can't remember.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks Kyle.

I hadn´t seen that part earlier.

Best regards

Peter Lund

Best regards

Peter Lund

I'm pretty amazed at the curve on the CRT's! Superb attention to detail! 

I was just going to mention that. Looks incredible!

Sante Sottile

20161103170659_1%20Panorama.jpg

That CRT display curve.  :good: Love it! #attentionToDetail

Can't wait for the embargo on (beta) videos to be lifted, as awesome as these shots are, I can't wait to hear how this beauty sounds.

• Upvote 1

Oh, I miss that mysterious PMDG drink. :drinks:  Wonder why captains aren't offered drink on NGX and 777.

Yuchen Leng
Maddog driver
pmdg_trijet.jpg

To emphasize my last, just look at how far we've come.

Note the changes in the detail of the displays, the MCP, textures, lighting. and buttons.

...and of course, those are only the visual changes. There's a lot more under the hood as well.

Then:

vc_panel_night.jpg

Now:

PMDG_747v3_runway1.jpg

New feature - there's some sort of horizontal barber pole thing on the dashboard. Is that the new thing, and if so, what is it?

New feature - there's some sort of horizontal barber pole thing on the dashboard. Is that the new thing, and if so, what is it?

Paravisual Display

David Porrett