Sign in to follow this  
markadeane

747 BETA - A few shots!

OOM issues in P3D unlikely, FSX, well, anybodys guess.

FSX-SE is just as OOM resistant as P3D.
  • Upvote 1

ki9cAAb.jpg

Anyone mention VAS?

Taxing around taking pretty screens are nice, but pointless if you can't fly 10-14 hours from an OOM error.

FPS?

Complexity usually = less FPS and more VAS.

Just checking that's all. :)

Simon,

I'm going to take your presumption to task here...

First- to answer your question directly- the 747-400 and 747-8 use significantly less VAS than the original release of the 777.  (About 40% less.)  Keep in mind that when we discovered a technique to reduce VAS use, we immediately updated the 777 and lowered it's usage footprint as well.  The 747 uses about the same VAS footprint as updated 777.

Second:  Your OOM problems are not being caused by the 777 and won't be caused by the 747.  Your OOM problems are being caused by runaway VAS use from scenery and poor memory management in the FSX platform.  I have been saying for a few years now that users can reduce their VAS footprint by being smart about what they install.  If you are going to install photoreal-everything, massive cloud textures, custom ground textures, custom airports with all of the detail dialed up, custom AI traffic with hires everything....  You are going to OOM whether you are using the default cessna or the 747.

I bristle at this mythology that our product is the memory consumer- because it uses VERY little in comparison to everything else users are stacking into memory- but somehow it is easy to hand the blame to us in spite of thousands upon thousands of hours spent developing techniques to keep VAS use as low as possible in our products.

In fact- I dare say we are probably the only developer (or one of maybe two or three) that have found ways to reduce VAS use in existing product lines- and make VAS a primary concern for all development decisions.

• Upvote 9

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

To the graphics dept & dev team.

Looking at these latest shots its clear to see the various alterations / improvents that have been made to the model geometery in the vc and externally and would just like to say credit where credit is due for taking notice of the points made and agreeing to make the ajustments so promptly.

VC

upper front window trim width increased

center post width increased

rounded glare shield corners (previously fixed)

external

glareshield size /  height significantly raised (previously fixed i am aware)

although I appreciate that often the mention of these kind of items get a few raised eyes in the forum as i know many are very systems focussed above the graphics accuracy , there are also many of us i think that also very much appreciate visual proportional accuracy while we are enjoying the depth of systems and this can really only be a good thing for all of us including ultimately producing a better end product.Its win win.

The ajustments i see are a big improvement so thanks very much for addresing these.

ps

(although its hard to see too clearly from the screen shots available so far i think there is still one remaining(easy fix) issue on the external model. I wont go in to details here but if your interested to know feel free to PM me and i can explain further)

thanks

nick caldwell

(although its hard to see too clearly from the screen shots available so far i think there is still one remaining(easy fix) issue on the external model. I wont go in to details here but if your interested to know feel free to PM me and i can explain further)

Just post it, if you don't mind.

Kyle Rodgers

Can't believe anyone is still using Photobucket. I was using it and at the end could not get in to view my own pictures so I switched to SmugMug. It cost me 5 bucks a month but I can upload huge  picture files from my camera and as many as I want and post them anywhere without missing entries or other problems. 

• Upvote 1

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Kyle

would you prefer i start new thread as i dont want to hijack this one?

Ive got the main issue i mentioned previously but also a couple of others that are related, so figure i may as well mention them all together then the team can decide if they are valid or beyond the scope of altering at this point.

nick caldwell

Im not going to lie, vas numbers similar to the 777 disappoint me. I had hoped using magic some how the vas numbers would be a lot lower for the 747. I will have to save up for the P3D version then and hope LM fix the vas issues some users are saying happens in p3d. - David Lee

P3d is better at releasing scenery. I haven't had any OOM yet but got them all the time in FSuX.

spacer.png

p3d is not completly rid of the scenery releasing issue though you still have to moniter vas which will still gradually grow in usege over a long flt with heavy scenery or weather ive found and depending on settings OOMs can and will still occur, just not as easily as in fsx.

ive often had to save a flight before landing due to low vas remaining.

nick caldwell

OOM´s here, OOM´s there.... I´ve NEVER encountered an OOM in my long FSX history with PMDG and/ or with high quality sceneries like Flytampa etc. NEVER.... Maybe you guys got low end machines? Maybe it´s FTX or something????

Im not going to lie, vas numbers similar to the 777 disappoint me. I had hoped using magic some how the vas numbers would be a lot lower for the 747. I will have to save up for the P3D version then and hope LM fix the vas issues some users are saying happens in p3d. - David Lee

David,

I don't believe you're being entirely reasonable here. As RSR noted, in the grand scheme of things, our products don't use that much VAS, particularly when compared to various scenery stuff out there. The only reason people have been running into VAS issues is that sceneries have become more and more detailed over the years. Even if we halved the amount of VAS we consumed, I can nearly guarantee that people would come after us for "causing OOMs" simply because our aircraft is the one that's loaded while flying over their massive texture, airport, and landclass add-ons. Each player has its memory in the VAS "bucket," and we really don't take that much (comparatively), but we're the ones asked to keep making our stuff smaller and smaller, VAS-footprint-wise? Not sure I agree with that.

Kyle Rodgers

David,

I don't believe you're being entirely reasonable here. As RSR noted, in the grand scheme of things, our products don't use that much VAS, particularly when compared to various scenery stuff out there. The only reason people have been running into VAS issues is that sceneries have become more and more detailed over the years. Even if we halved the amount of VAS we consumed, I can nearly guarantee that people would come after us for "causing OOMs" simply because our aircraft is the one that's loaded while flying over their massive texture, airport, and landclass add-ons. Each player has its memory in the VAS "bucket," and we really don't take that much (comparatively), but we're the ones asked to keep making our stuff smaller and smaller, VAS-footprint-wise? Not sure I agree with that.

I fly your airplanes and nothing else heavy metal. I fly A2A and RealAir for GA. In the PMDG aircraft line, I must turn autogen to normal and use no other traffic and water low or medium 2x. If this is not done I will get out of memory on approach to big airports such as LAX with Orbx OpenLC and Southern California. With this lower slider settings I still reach the OOM limit often in the 777 more than the NGX. I use FSX Steam and started over with a clean install. I gave up my custom AI traffic I spent hours each week always adding to and with bare skies even now I have hit the limit. I use 512 cloud resolution to save size. No ground traffic or boats.

That is why I had hoped the 747 had a VAS more similar to the NGX or better. It was wishful thinking, does P3D handle VAS better in the same situations as Steam? Depending on the 747 license price I would like to finally upgrade to P3D and if it handles VAS better than FSX Steam I will upgrade. - David Lee