Sign in to follow this  
ssites22

New to X-Plane. ATC question

Hi all, just got around to buying x-plane. running it on 3 monitors and the immersion level is awesome. Here is my question:

with FSX, I could create a flight plan, and I would start at the gate with ATC guidance (plus progressive taxi) all the way to the final destination.

With X-Plane I start at a gate, create a flight plan but nothing happens. It's like ATC doesn't even know I created it.

Any tips??

Hi, first thing I'd think at is about communications, have you tuned the radio with the right frequency?

EDIT

Under the 'Special' menu you see the item 'Toggle Nearby Air Traffic Controllers Window', click on it and a window with all the available frequencies for that airport will open, as you have already sent the flight plan you should see a 'preferred' frequency in that window, just click over it (once or twice, don't remember) and then you should be able to talk.

Our web site: http://ats-simulations.com/

Our MD-82/83 Project Youtube channel: A.T.S. Aircraft Training Solutions

Video development preview created by Thomas Rasmussen: Aircraft Training Solutions (A.T.S.) MD-82 for X-Plane 10 - Preview

oh that's right there is that little part about tuning the radio lol. I was used to FSX doing it automatically. i will do this tonight thanks for the help!

SSites22,

When you have played around with X-plane ATC, you might also want to take a look at http://pilot2atc.com/.  Its quite the program, payware with a 10 day free trial.

There is a support page for it here on AVSIM, the author being very responsive to questions and updates are common.

It provides voice interaction between you and computer generated ATC controllers to make your flying experience more realistic.  An inexpensive headset/mic arrangement and your off and running.

The speech recognition works fairly well, it does stumble for me from time to time, but probably more of my not speaking clearly.

Do take the time to read the manual, its worth the trip....:)

Chuck

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700KF CPU @ 4.90GHz  32.0 GB RAM Windows 11 Home NVIDIA RTX 3080Ti 12GB Multi monitors

WD SN850 M2 2TB PSU 1000W. 360 AIO.cooling.

SSites22,

When you have played around with X-plane ATC, you might also want to take a look at http://pilot2atc.com/.  Its quite the program, payware with a 10 day free trial.

There is a support page for it here on AVSIM, the author being very responsive to questions and updates are common.

It provides voice interaction between you and computer generated ATC controllers to make your flying experience more realistic.  An inexpensive headset/mic arrangement and your off and running.

The speech recognition works fairly well, it does stumble for me from time to time, but probably more of my not speaking clearly.

Do take the time to read the manual, its worth the trip....:)

Chuck

WOW very cool I will check this out. Thanks Chuck!

WOW very cool I will check this out. Thanks Chuck!

I'd recommend X-Life from JARDesign Group. Get the full package which includes ATC, radar, flightplan insertion, Traffic AI etc. Right now it has the best Traffic AI out there.

http://jardesign.org/x-life/www/

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

X-Life looks awesome as well. I am going to try it out tonight. Question, how does the AI interact with airports like KBOS from MisterX6 (custom designed with static planes at gates)?

I'd recommend X-Life from JARDesign Group. Get the full package which includes ATC, radar, flightplan insertion, Traffic AI etc. Right now it has the best Traffic AI out there.

http://jardesign.org/x-life/www/

I love X-Life myself, but it is in a very limited state and I often keep it off due to its support. I mainly fly in the continental US and they are just lacking sorely there unfortunately. 

If Laminar were to make a push for airports to be properly designed with taxi routes, gates, etc properly made then it would be great. To me this is an early access program, we are in something that can be big yet is not to that level yet. 

X-Life looks awesome as well. I am going to try it out tonight. Question, how does the AI interact with airports like KBOS from MisterX6 (custom designed with static planes at gates)?

I have KBOS from Mister X and it works fine.

There are also approx. 25 airports in the USA and constantly growing on their forum. The map doesn't always reflect the coverage. X-Life is standalone which is free. The deluxe includes the full ATC and flight planner.

I have KBOS from Mister X and it works fine.

There are also approx. 25 airports in the USA and constantly growing on their forum. The map doesn't always reflect the coverage. X-Life is standalone which is free. The deluxe includes the full ATC and flight planner.

That's the problem, 25 airports in how long? That and some of them are payware only and not included in those found on the gateway. I love the project, but they really need some help outside of JAR if they ever want to get anywhere soon. It is just an addon made for the long run like the x737. I wish them the best of luck and I threw in my own support by buying it(Though I rarely use it given my location), but it is a long and tedious process of which I don't see too much outside help sticking around so long given the amount of airports in the world.

I'd like to see them allow for compatibility with other ATC programs as well with the AI(Such as RC4toXplane or like mentioned above Pilot2ATC).

That's the problem, 25 airports in how long? That and some of them are payware only and not included in those found on the gateway. I love the project, but they really need some help outside of JAR if they ever want to get anywhere soon. It is just an addon made for the long run like the x737. I wish them the best of luck and I threw in my own support by buying it(Though I rarely use it given my location), but it is a long and tedious process of which I don't see too much outside help sticking around so long given the amount of airports in the world.

I'd like to see them allow for compatibility with other ATC programs as well with the AI(Such as RC4toXplane or like mentioned above Pilot2ATC).

So what's your solution? You sound like you want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. X-Life itself is free. The Deluxe has the ATC and flight planner built in. A number of the airports for North America are free and numerous for Europe. I do most of my flying in Europe. WorldTraffic doesn't cut it because you have to create all the taxi/parking routes. There is no comparable program to MyTraffic, Ultimate Traffic as they exist in P3D/FSX. It is the best AI traffic program out there and while it doesn't meet your expectations  it has been a quantum leap up from anything that has appeared yet for the pathetic X-Traffic AI.

So what's your solution? You sound like you want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. X-Life itself is free. The Deluxe has the ATC and flight planner built in. A number of the airports for North America are free and numerous for Europe. I do most of my flying in Europe. WorldTraffic doesn't cut it because you have to create all the taxi/parking routes. There is no comparable program to MyTraffic, Ultimate Traffic as they exist in P3D/FSX. It is the best AI traffic program out there and while it doesn't meet your expectations  it has been a quantum leap up from anything that has appeared yet for the pathetic X-Traffic AI.

My solution is for WED to have some changes. Particular objects such as a taxiway or a specific sized gate would automatically be recognized by a program like this as a ground route or a parking position(If toggled as an option) for AI and the like(Hard for me to explain, but there should be no reason to set a route unless you are trying to make it work in a particular way. Custom objects would be a problem though). It doesn't have to be fairly complex as to what particular taxiway/stand/etc it may be, but just something rudimentary. Laminar also needs to address this with higher quality control for airports(From 3rd parties on the gateway) as well, promote redesigning of older airports to include ground routes and the like. Having 3rd party developers take on such a task is just a slow process unless  airport designers start upping the quality.

X-Life being free is also a problem imo, this is an ongoing and time consuming task where more funds could be alloted to manpower. It's not like the Deluxe edition is expensive anyway. I see Laminar addressing AI and ATC before X-Life is finished, I hope X-Life picks up more interest and airport designers before then though.