Sign in to follow this  
Guest tallpilot

DC-10 Rudder Authority

Looking at the tail of the DC-10 got me wondering. The number two engine seems to take away a lot of rudder surface area. In other words, it appears smaller than if the aircraft were to be designed as a two engined plane. Does the DC-10 have reduced rudder authority compared to planes of similar size/weight?Thanks in advance!Mike Brown

Guest tallpilot

MikeActually the DC-10 has great rudder authority. If you look close at pictures of the 10 tail, you will see that the aft segment of both the upper and lower rudder have a hinged area (tab) that is moved mechanically by pushrods connected to the main hydraulically driven portion to provide a more effective airfoil. (describtion from DC-10 flight manuel)Having flown the DC-10, I can tell you that on single engine (wing engine operating)and only one half of the hydraulic rudders operating that the airplane has sufficient rudder authority. With all engines operating and only one half the rudders operating the 10's that I flew, the maximum cross wind for landing was limited to 15 knots from the normal maximum of 25 knots which shows you how good the rudder authority is.Ed Weber a.k.a tallpilot

Guest Erick_Cantu

Yeah, our resident DC-10 pilot says the DC-10's rudder authority is tremendous and the way the rudders are designed is a big help during crosswind conditions.

Guest tallpilot

If you haven't tried it, don't knock it!!!Not a resident anything but enough real DC-10 time in the left seat to answer his question.Regards,Ed Weber

Guest Tim__757

ED, you're still here!You are missing the fun around the company. (oh geeze, what's THAT in the mailbox from NATCO....) Tim__757 (Who turned down a DC10 seat)

Ed, I do not think he was refering to you. Their design group has a dc10 pilot in it, I think that was his reference.I have been on a 2 engine ferry flight, which the #3 engine was inop, she flew great. You can imagine the trim setting though.

Guest tallpilot

Hi Tim,Yep still here but mostly in the lurking mode. My son who finally got back in the left seat of the diesel nine after 9/11 keeps me up to date on all the "goings on" at the old work place. :-)I sold my Baron due to ever increasing fuel and insurance costs and am now looking for an affordable single. Maybe an older 210 or viking.Have you flown any trips over the pond on the 757-300's that are ETOPS? I hear they're not the hot rod that the -200's are when they're heavy.Take care,Ed Weber a.k.a tallpilot

Guest Erick_Cantu

Yeah, was just backing up what he said based on what one of our staff members at SGA has said about his DC-10 experience. :)

Guest tallpilot

Sorry Erick, I misunderstood your post. (Guess I'm getting a little touchy in my old age) :-)Best Regards,Ed Weber a.k.a tallpilot