Sign in to follow this  
boeingflir

N1 Switch on Mode Control Panel

I am having no success getting functionality from the N1 switch on the MCP. In particular, with a V1 engine failure I climb to my engine out acceleration altitude, I'm still in the takeoff mode i.e. with takeoff power. The profile is to bug the speed up to zero flap maneuver speed, select FLCH or VNAV after the flaps are retracted, then select continuous thrust (CON) for your climb by pressing the N1 switch supposedly. 

I have had no success programing the N1 switch on the MCP and I know what I'm doing there; I have all the throttle quadrant and yoke switches programed and they work fine on my CH products. NO matter what I do or what keyboard combo I choose that N1 switch is not functional. On top of that, if I try to engage the switch with my mouse cursor; no joy. The only way that I see to select continuous thrust is through the CDU on the N1 limit page.

If this is an NGX issue, i.e. a non functional switch, so be it. If I am making some kind of programing or procedural mistake…help!

As always I will appreciate your feedback.

Bruce Jacobs

PS

I think your answer is in the FCOM, take a look at the description of the N1 switch on page 4.10.3. 

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan,

Thanks, Yes, I've seen that and it's the Boeing description of the switch function. Unfortunately it's well short of what I'm trying to figure out. 

It's going to take somebody to read this who is most likely not only a MSFS and NGX user, but also very well versed in 737NG procedures, like an airline pilot who uses the simulation to keep current and is actually operating the aircraft. I know that there are quite a few of you who really know how this thing works and what I'm talking about.

Cheers,

Bruce Jacobs

I have had no success programing the N1 switch on the MCP and I know what I'm doing there; I have all the throttle quadrant and yoke switches programed and they work fine on my CH products. NO matter what I do or what keyboard combo I choose that N1 switch is not functional. On top of that, if I try to engage the switch with my mouse cursor; no joy. The only way that I see to select continuous thrust is through the CDU on the N1 limit page.

If this is an NGX issue, i.e. a non functional switch, so be it. If I am making some kind of programing or procedural mistake…help!

But you are asking why N1 isn't engaging when pressing the N1 switch on the MCP? So Dan told you to refer to the FCOM V2

Vernon Howells

I don't have the FCOM open at the moment, but I recall that the N1 mode will do exactly as you described it doing in your problem description.That is, it controls thrust based on the thrust limit set in the CDU.

I suggested if you read the manual you'd realize it is working as the manual describes. Something it does better than I can.  If you are under the presumption that the N1 function is supposed to call up max continuous thrust then I think the FCOM explains that is not the function.

Dan Downs KCRP

I don't want to preach to the choir. There are probably a lot of real airline pilots on here. Some of this stuff can't be learned from the book or the printed profiles therein. That's why it takes 5 weeks to get a CFR121 type rating in on of these Jets.

Here's what I'm asking: We're taking off, at V1 we're committed to fly, we have an engine failure. VR, positive rate-gear up. The flight director should command V2-V2+20. At our E/O acc speed, generally 1000'agl for training purposes, we as for the MCP speed to be bugged up to 0 flap man speed. The aircraft pitches down to accelerate to that speed, we retract the flaps on schedule. At flaps up we probably have another couple of thousand feet to climb so we call for FLCH or VNAV. We are still at TO thrust which may have a time limit so we want to go to max continuous thrust. My impression was that is accomplished by pushing the N1 switch on the MCP. The only other way to do it is press the N1 button on the CDU which will open the N1 limit page on the FMC and you can select CON there. 

My problem is that I can not get functionality from the N1 switch on the MCP either by programing the switch to my CH controls through the NGX FMC and or FSUIPC.

I may have a misunderstanding, but the description of the N1 switch on page 4.10.3 does not answer my question unless I'm totally misunderstanding something.

2 issues, maybe, depending on the depth of my misunderstanding 1)Am I having a key press/programming problem? 2) How the hell does this interface actually work on the 737NG. BTW I have the actual Boeing FCOM and FCTM (flight crew training manual) as well as the PMDG manuals which I'm pleased to say are exact copies of Boeing procedures. Very nice.

OK, that's it. We'll see what comes up. I'll get on youtube and if all else fails I have a friend, far away who flies a BBJ.

Simple

After the PM calls "FLAPS UP NO LIGHTS" the PF calls "LEVEL CHANGE, MCT" and engages the autopilot. The PM shall select LVL CHG and set MCT.

I don't use the NGX anymore i use prosim 737 as i have my own 737 built. I can test the N1 and see what happens.

Vernon Howells

Good Vern, getting closer. How did the PM bring up the reference bug for MCT (annunciated CON above the N1 gauges)? As I said above  "My impression was that is accomplished by pushing the N1 switch on the MCP. The only other way to do it is press the N1 button on the CDU which will open the N1 limit page on the FMC and you can select CON there." 

Nice setup. I have a friend who has built a  prosim 747-400. Thanks.

Bruce Jacobs

You have to have a reference to set right? At TO the bug  is referencing whatever your take off thrust was. How do you get it to reference CON.

Bruce Jacobs

No go into the FMC N1 page and select CONT and set the live engine thrust lever to the MCT bugs!

It does it automatically

With N1 you change the thrust setting from takeoff to climb and crz

Prosim 747? Prosim only does the 737 and now the new A320 suite

Vernon Howells

OK, that's starting to make more sense. I understand that unlike the 777 the auto throttles have disengaged on an engine failure and you have to set it manually. I was confused where the CON reference comes from. The 777 knows that it has had an engine failure and when you go flaps up, FLCH, CON is automatically annunciated and the ATs automatically set CON.

I must have it wrong. This sim that he has, the 747-400, is quite a setup. Real Boeing seats (not 747, electric, but they are out of a 737) and I believe all of the components are made by a company in Canada). It's amazing with Boeing sim quality visual. No motion of course.

Bruce Jacobs

If you are flying the 777 just know the differences ;)

Yeh its took me over a year to get it all installed and ordered etc! I have access to all Ryanair's manuals which goes a long way and helps me and my sim to be a more Boeing 737 environment following real procedures.

Vernon Howells