Sign in to follow this  
allergiecheck

Memory bleeding in P3D 3.4 caused by car traffic?

Just want to briefly share the experience that I have just made - in case you also suffer from low VAS in P3D 3.4:

- flown from KFAT to KBFL, with A2A Comanche and SCA scenery from ORBX, real weather (AS16), car traffic set to 10%: remaining VAS after the 45 min flight: 300 MB (!). All settings at medium

- same flight, same settings except car traffic 0%: 1.400 MB remaining VAS.

...cure for the insane memory bleeding in 3.4?

or maybe already mentioned somewhere else.  :smile:

Cheers, Thomas

Interesting that's a large difference will have to play with that setting for my heavies be interesting if repeatable.

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

On my system, there is hardly any difference in VAS consumption between having road traffic set at 40% and 0% (and this is with all roads activated in ORBX Vector), which is surprising given your findings. HOWEVER, if there is no road traffic, I have no microstutters at all, whereas with 40% road traffic, I get regular stutters.

I have exactly same VAS problem with road traffic. No idea if this happens only with certain configurations, or it's a common issue but barely reported.

So could it be possible that flying at 33,000 feet, the cars are still being calculated and rendered?  I found that a lot of the stuttering I experience, is due to ASN weather.  I've always kept my traffic at or below 10%, even when I used FSX, and oddly enough, stutters happened in both sims.

Once again, it is an issue of how much realism a user wants in their sim.  I hate to sound blunt, but having to tone down so much in the base sim to accommodate a smooth flight with an add-on aircraft or flying in to a complex airport is getting unnerving.  I think we all would love to have our cake and eat it too, but it seems that we may be hitting a peak in 32-bit flight sim development, pushing the limits on all fronts to pump out a realistic sim...scenery, weather, traffic, buildings and all.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

same flight, same settings except car traffic 0%: 1.400 MB remaining VAS.

An old Luddite here. I am still with P3dv3.0 and I can not replicate the 1100 MB VAS difference with those traffic settings. But there again I don't use ASN weather and we have different computers, so its no definitive example. There are too many variables.

I agree with seeing some more stutters when cars are enabled. I believe that's always been the case.

I recall something NickN said ages ago, do you want to see horses, sheep, cars, trucks and wavy trees, or do you want to fly? Well I for one am spoiled by Orbx and want both! Perhaps we now need that 64 bit simulation?

Regards

David

Car traffic has severe impact on fps, so stutters are to be expected. My experience is that 5-7% is usable, but from 10% and up fps reduction and stutters become really noticable in urban areas. I don't use any "hi-fi" scenery addons currently as they tax my system too much with my preferred graphic settings, so I have zero VAS issues. 

64 bit will cure VAS problems, but performance will stay pretty much the same, so expect the same fps and stutter problems when moving to a 64 bit simulator. 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Simmerhead is right on.  I think somewhere here Rob said 5% usually has no impact.  I run that as well. 

Car traffic has less impact in P3D than it did in FSX.  I remember in FSX 1% would kill FPS. 

I run Boats at 10%.  Doesn't mess with FPS.  Even with running the awesome Global AI Ships addon found in the library.

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

I have no traffic on at all except if I'm flying in the bush: Alaska, Idaho. Or the desert: KJAC, KSEZ, etc.

Ciao!

Puzzles me? Perhaps a bit if legacy code from FSX? After the cars are drawn, maybe they stay in memory, accumulating VAS as time goes on? Its an interesting subject but your VAS figures speak for themselves.

Best answer is turn em off!

Cheers

David

LM needs to offload entire traffic on the GPU.  That way we all can have tons of traffic and it will help in performance

Currently, I do see a VAS hit with traffic enabled (high traffic leads to vas leaks)

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

You could try turning down the speedometer on the freeway traffic and it may give the CPU and GPU a rest.

Bob

After the cars are drawn, maybe they stay in memory, accumulating VAS as time goes on? 

...exactly! You can just sit at an airport and wait for the VAS counter slowly going down...it happens faster in ORBX full regions (tried in SCA) and slower in default scenery. I did not experience this in P3D 3.2, that is why I posted it.

thank you sir! you're suggestion of turning traffic down to zero has allowed me to hit between 50 and 60 fps taking off out of London City Airport...never happened to me before