Sign in to follow this  
Michael VN

[Workaround] TrackIR + ChasePlane (VJoy + FreePIE)

Hello everyone,

Due to the high demand for an integrated solution of TrackIR in ChasePlane, here's a temporary solution I made that enables you to get your presets, turbulence etc at the same time as having TrackIR controlling your view. It works better then we expected with ChasePlane and it may serve you in other situations as well. A fully integrated solution will be included in the future but at this stage of development our effort are focused toward fixing all the potential issues with ChasePlane prior to TrackIR.

The concept is pretty simple. Basically you to create a virtual controller using vJoy that receive TrackIR input from FreePIE (Programmable Input Emulator). It may sound complicated but follow the following steps below and you should be up and tracking in less than 15 minutes.

Required software

• vJoy_216_150815.exe v2.1.6 
    vJoy is a software to create virtual game controllers

• FreePIE v1.9.629.0
    FreePIE is a Programmable Input Emulator that is able to read TrackIR input and send the data into vJoy

• TrackIR to vJoy v1.0.py v1.0
    This is the script that tell FreePIE to send the TrackIR value to vJoy

Instructions

• Download and install vJoySetup.exe

• Launch "Configure vJoy" found in the Start Menu
    ​ 
  • Make sure that on vJoy Device: 1, you have X, Y, Z, RX, RY and RZ are checked, set the number of buttons and POVs are 0 (zero).
    ​ 
  • Then click the Apply button to save the changes. If you are asked to restart your computer please do so to avoid any potential issues.
    ​ 
  • Download and install FreePIE
    ​ 
  • ​Start TrackIR and FreePIE
  • In FreePIE, go to File > Open and load the TrackIR to vJoy v1.0.py file you downloaded.
    ​ 
  • In FreePIE, go to Script > Run script. At this point your TrackIR inputs are sent to your virtual joystick (called vJoy) in the system. 
    ​ 
  • Open ChasePlane and assign your motion axis to Forward/Backward, Up/Down etc. Make sure the "Head Tracking" option is enable while assigning the controls.

• In your simulator, make sure to disable any control assignments of the vJoy joystick if you don't want to control the Ailerons with your Head ;)

Enjoy!

• Upvote 1

Works like a charm!!!

A couple of tips when assigning axis:

For example, if you want to assign Roll Axis in ChasePlane, make sure you have only ticked that axis in TrackIR (profiles, Motion Adjustment), repeat the same with the rest of them.

Forward/Back and zoom in/out axis in ChasePlane are the same, so what I did was only assing forward/back

Second Tip!

When VJoy is installed, by default creates its own assignments in FSX AXIS, make sure you delete them in FSX Settings, Controls, Control Axes...

• Upvote 1

El Aeropayo
Paco GALINDO

pmdgbanner2_zps5157ad06.jpg

Works like a charm!!!

When VJoy is installed, by default creates its own assignments in FSX AXIS, make sure you delete them in FSX Settings, Controls, Control Axes...

Thanks!

Make sure the "Head Tracking" option is enable while assigning the controls.

Guys, at my advanced age I can be a little slow on the uptake. Where do you enable the head tracking option? Is it part of the Chase Plane UI or somewhere else?

NAX669.png

Where do you enable the head tracking option? Is it part of the Chase Plane UI or somewhere else?

Yes in the keybinding window you will see this checkbox if you move an axis.

Still chopping around in the cockpit, followed the step by step carefully, deleted the assigned axes in P3D, checked Head Tracking in ChasePlane.

Like it's trying to reset to centerview while moving around.

http://imgur.com/vD3aahz

EDIT

Got it working, you guys rocks!

yeEIP.gif

Regards

Billy Lundin

Still chopping around in the cockpit, followed the step by step carefully, deleted the assigned axes in P3D, checked Head Tracking in ChasePlane.

Like it's trying to reset to centerview while moving around.

http://imgur.com/vD3aahz

EDIT

Got it working, you guys rocks!

Could you explain what causes your initial issues so maybe others in the same situation will be able to follow your solution?

Thanks

Could you explain what causes your initial issues so maybe others in the same situation will be able to follow your solution?

Thanks

No problem, the problem was my FreePIE setup got corrupted so i recieved some errors.

Got it working again by reinstalled it.

yeEIP.gif

Regards

Billy Lundin

That's also true if you use FSUIPC for assigning your axis. I couldn't  figure out why my yoke was moving when I moved my head with Track IR. You have to make sure that there are no axis assignments for the extra joystick you created.

NAX669.png

What does this do?

Does it change how Track IR works?

Does it allow normal operation of Track IR and CP at the same time?

Is it easier to just run them one at a time by pausing and unpausing one after another?

Aaron Tirrell

Does it allow normal operation of Track IR and CP at the same time?

Yes. It allows you to use Track IR like it was integrated into the program.

NAX669.png

I have Track IR working in ChasePlane with no problems. The only thing I notice is that there is some fairly significant stutter when I look around. I don't know if it's as a result of using other software to connect or maybe something in my Track IR setup. Has anyone else noticed this?

NAX669.png

I have Track IR working in ChasePlane with no problems. The only thing I notice is that there is some fairly significant stutter when I look around. I don't know if it's as a result of using other software to connect or maybe something in my Track IR setup. Has anyone else noticed this?

It's probably ChasePlane itself. It hasn't been optimized yet

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42